RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Pup with tooth left

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Rhenee Fadling 
#1 ·
Hey all. I have a Lab pup that is 5.5 months old. All adult teeth have been in for close to a month now, except for one upper canine. The puppy tooth is still there, with no sign of the adult tooth poking through.

Any experience with this? Something to get checked out yet?

Thanks

#4 ·
Are you sure about the adult teeth? Count the premolars and the molars, top and bottom. The canine teeth usually come in after the premolars, followed by the molars. If he is done he should have 4 premolars and 2 molars on the top (each side) and 4 premolars and 3 molars on the bottom (each side). Odd if these are in for a whole month and yet no canine.

Here's a pic:

http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/digestion/pregastric/dogpage.html

#5 ·
Panda, the pup in my avatar, had to have her puppy canines pulled at about 5 mos. But her adult canines had come in so she just had a crowded mouthful of teeth. I would check with a vet, the baby teeth normally do fall out but sometimes they need to be pulled and a vet would be the best judge of that. The puppy canine might be keeping the permanent tooth from erupting.

#11 ·
Panda's puppy canines were NOT coming out on their own and because her permanent teeth were starting to grow in crooked I was advised to have them pulled. I'd done all the recommended things, retrieves, chew toys, rawhide, marrow bones, etc, that will usually help them work loose. She was was so funny-looking with that mouth bristling w/teeth (one of which always seemed to snag her lip), but all those teeth were starting to cut up her gums. Vet said he'd removed a fair # of puppy teeth but hers were so stubbornly in there he had to knock her out and actually cut them out, otherwise it might've re-arranged her adult teeth and left her with a permanent bad bite.

#12 ·
I would give it a couple more weeks, but keep an eye on the tooth, if the baby tooth starts to discolor, or if the gum looks inflamed, I would have the tooth pulled. Generally, it's not expensive; I recently had the procedure done on a 6 mo old ylf, and a 6 mo old clm. I paid $65.00 for the ylf, but my vet is very resonable. It should just be anesthesia and the tooth pull, which was $6.00 at my vets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.