RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Spokane area training

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  labsforme 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm moving to the Spokane, Wa area Jan 10th 2013. I'll actually be living in the Mica Peak area south of greenacres. I was wondering if there is a group of guys/gals that train in the area. I'm not really looking for a club right now due to limited funds. I am getting out of the Air Force after 9 years of active duty. I'm currently stationed in Great Falls, Montana. If everything goes as planned I'll only be in the area until July when I will hopefully be attending the WA State Patrol Academy. I have a 7 year old yellow lab "Cash" who has 2 HT passes, and a 3 year old black lab "Koda" who took 1st in a couple of puppy stakes in Minot, ND. I haven't been able to run them for the past 2 years in any test due to the baby machine being activated a few times. Thanks in advance for any offers, ideas, leads, etc. Here are a couple of pictures of both of them taken on a cold (-10 F) December day this year. Far left pic. is Koda on a 150+ yard retrieve in the Missouri River. The next one is Cash on a 100+ yard retrieve also in the Missouri.

Bryan Water Water resources Winter Freezing Sky
Water Snow Lake Water bird Loch
Canidae Dog Retriever Water Sporting Group
Dog Canidae Dog breed Snow Sporting Group

See less See more
#2 ·
Join the Spokane Bird Association (NAHRA club), http://spokanebirddog.org/. It's cheap, $25 or $35 dollars or so and you get access to the Espanola training grounds near Medical Lake. The website is way out of date, but the club is active and usually has a training day in spring.

#3 ·
Contact Mark Burlington at Burlington Ranch. Just a few miles north of spokane. Nice training grounds and there are groups training there on a regular basis. http://burlingtonranch.com/

#5 ·
and I forgot to mention Mark and his wife are good people too.
I heard WRL trains there sometimes as well.

#6 ·
Welcome to the Great Northwet- Spokane is sportsmans heaven. Watch out for that WRL guy- he is a known BSer.

Thanks for your service and welcome to RTF regards

Bubba

#7 ·
#9 ·
Like others have said, lots of dog training-trialing opportunities in the Spokane area. When I started back around 1992 there was an active NAHRA group there, Gary Erickson, Dan Hosford, Harry Williams and a bunch of others. I haven't run NAHRA in quite a while, so don't know if they are still active over there, but I do know there is a large, serious amateur field trial group in that area. PM me and I'll give you a couple names and numbers.

#10 ·
The NAHRA club is still active. Holding the regional again in 2013 is the rumor. They are the Spokane Bird Dog Assn. Kelly mentioned earlier. North Idaho Retriever Club has a good group of folks too. Many of them live/train in the Post Falls/CDA area. For some reason I'm having trouble finding their web site at the moment. I would definitely 2nd Kelly's suggestion of joining the SBDA if only because $35 a year is dirt cheap to train on pretty decent grounds/water.

#11 ·
First, welcome to the NW. Yes watch out for that WRL person. I heard they actually trained a ,shudder, brown dog. (just kidding)

Hey Rick you going to make it to Niland Monday? I'll also be training Tuesday and Wednesday there too.

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.