RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

KRD drill with flyer as 'poison bird'

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Rnd 
#1 ·
I ran a KRD (Key Relationship Drill) with Hitch today, using a flyer (blindfolded). Mark was about 100 yds Blinds were tight behind the gun station, under the arc, and close to and outside the fall (all deep of the fall)...

Hitch did a very nice job handling away from the bird on all three blinds. Yes, he did suck to the bird, but had good initial lines. He never tried to scallop back or anything like that once I cast him toward the blinds...

My question is...he has a good understanding of 'blinds' vs 'marks'...Is there ever a time when I should give him a correction for not trying to maintain his initial line (for letting the suction of the bird draw him offline)...I feel he is coming along far enough in his training that he should be starting to make some (better) decisions with regards to this....

Juli

#3 · (Edited)
I find myself agreeing with Greg Magee.

The more of these you do the less he'll be affected by the mark. Also, I tend to do about 2/3rds mark and then blinds and 1/3rd poison bird blinds, and then pick up the mark.

#4 ·
Thanks Greg and Howard,

I don't do KRD's with poison birds often...but at the last hunt test and in training he has shown an inclination to take out of order flyers first.....This is one way I have of teaching him he can't get the flyer first (since I often do not have a way to do multiple marks. :)

That said, I will not use corrections in the future...:)

Juli

#5 ·
Can you do to many poison bird drills I've been doing some with my young dog but I found that now when I run him on inline marks or marks that that are very tight with the short bird as the go bird he treats the short bird like a poison bird and will not pick it up but by passes it and goes for the long bird.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.