RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

why so many training threads and soooo little...

30K views 112 replies 52 participants last post by  SFKennels 
#1 ·
hunting threads?
Is this place just about competition dogs, or are there people here who actually train to have a great hunting partner?
When i did my search here, I wanted a companion dog and hunting buddy.
Lee of wrl contacted me and I ended up buying trap, and started 1.5 yo male yellow.
We had chatted some and she said trap would be a great mix for me.
She couldn't have hit the nail on the head better.
He is awesome.
All these threads here just talk about training. Where are the pics of actually using your trained dogs for hunting?
I learned alto here, and continued traps training, and he now has to straight passes towards his junior title, and has retrieved 78 ducks and 22 geese so far this season.
We will enter the last two junior hunt tests in a few months and go for his senior next fall.
He also goes everywhere with me, even on my oryx hunt. Yet i read nothing of others and what daily life is like with their dogs?
Why?
Are most dogs here just kept in kennel and are not family members?
Are companion dogs not good hunters or competition dogs?
Here was yesterday at 2 below zero.

The oryx hunt.

Climbing thru tree branches in the river retrieving a duck.

His first Jr ribbon.

And a pic from in the duck blind.
I love my dog.

Come on now people, lets see some life pics of you and your dogs.

See less See more
#108 ·
Troy, thanks for posting the "band" photo. It made me remember a goose band Daisy brought back one cold morning years ago. I had the camera out snapping pictures when she came up out of the water running toward me. When I reached for the retrieve, I spotted the band. That was a rush!

I was even more thrilled when I downloaded the photos.......the "keeper" was there. :)

Daisy's second goose band in 2007

#110 ·
im not a trial guy myself, im getting a puppy and my main goal is hunting and my next best bud. but if i have a dog talented enough to run hunt tests which i would like to do or trials then y not try? These dogs love every second of what they do y only limit them to hunting a quarter of the year. the great thing about trials and this forum is it brings the best and highest potential out of the amazing creatures. trial runners spend all day and everyday with their dogs and have so much knowledge that us hunters can really learn n grow as hunters and handlers. u cant say it would not be cool to say ur favorite hunting buddy was a national field trial champ! very nice looking dog by the way:) i cant wait to start my adventure myself

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.