RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

What to Do?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Mary Lynn Metras 
#1 ·
I have a 5 month old female who has been doing very well with the basic obdience. When she was a little younger I started just tossing a little puppy bumber a few feet and she would bring it right back. Now that she is getting a little older and she wants to play keep away so I started to use the check cord to reinforce here. She will go right to the mark and pick it up when I try to use the cc to steer her back to me she either drops the bumber or she will end up getting tied up in knots with the cc. She also tries to chew on the cord. She is very full of energy and puts on a great chase for the bumber no matter how far you throw it. I know she is probably teething as she is now wanting to lay down and chew on the bumber.

Should I stay away from the retrieving far know while she is teething and just continue to do basic ob. and start working her on the cc to get her use to it. I am at a lost as to what to do any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!!

#3 ·
She runs out and picks up the bumper from instinct. She brings it back to you from training. You're not really advancing her training by repeatedly throwing the bumper for her to do a bunch of retrieves out to the same distance and location, so put the bumpers up for awhile and work on recalls. When you can get a helper to throw, try doing one or two retrieves in a different location than your yard that she does not know; she'll be more likely to come back to the familiar thing she knows (you). Still work on doing a half dozen or more recalls daily though, without the retrieve involved. A couple of rules: have most of the recalls end in treats and/or lavish praise and release and 2.) do not call her to you if there's a chance she might run away and you can't enforce the recall. If she does this, she should be trailing a check cord when loose. She's at an age where you do not want her to think the recall is optional.

#5 ·
What she said! Your pup is entering adolescence. It's time to move your teaching toward training, and prepare for formal Basics. Are you familiar with that term?

Evan

#4 ·
And find a club or training group! You'll make some good friends. It's amazing how fast retrievers can pick up the basics, but there are truly some logical steps to follow. Lots of overlap and similarities in the various methods, some are maybe more user friendly for new folks than others. I'll send you a PM.

#6 ·
BJ - I have just started to follow the GUN DOG videos by Tom Dokken. I got them from a friend any input on this series or what do you recommend?

Julie - Thanks for the pointers I have to say that once you said instinct and training it got a little more clearer to me what I need to do to help her. I started her off with the treats and have slowly got off of them you long do you normally continue this? I just didnt want her to get overly dependent to the treats I guess you could say.

Evan - What are you calling formal basics?

#7 ·
Bdaigle, based upon your post and your questions, it does not sound like you would be ready for Mike Lardy's program. With that said, I would look into the Smartwork vol 1 book. Getting this book would be a great starting point for you and your pup. Also depending on you location in the world, some here could let you know of a retriever training group for you to hook up with. Good luck.

#8 ·
Sent you a pm. It does depend on what you are going to do with the dog down the road. But I think a great starter is Hillman's DVD. He harps on your dog to SIT SIT, make the dog want to retrieve and have fun! Stawski's set of 3 series DVD is really simple to follow and gives you a good start as well. Then Lardy if you wanted to advance further. I just feel you will achieve more with your dog. IMHO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.