RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Garage Sale X-Mas Gift. Must have been from Fallon or Marvin's house....gdg

5K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Marvin S 
#1 ·
:) Merry Christmas Fellas! ehehe..

Got this decoy from my Aunt for Christmas. Thought it was pretty cool gift. Been searching around but, can't find much information on it other than some advertisments on Ebay for one from a Salt Lake City store in 1925. Might bid on it just for fun.

See less See more
#2 ·
Reminds me of the first goose silo decoys I hunted with a long time ago.
They were wax coated and flanged like that. A steel rod with a cross-member spread the decoy out and was staked into the ground.
Like many other items, I wish I had them now.

#3 ·
I searched the company name and found a lot of the goose decoys they manufactured for sale. Haven't found any ducks with the float. A couple without on old auctions. My Aunt and Uncle have had antique stores for years and hit lots of auctions. They have the original canvas bag that came with these decoys too. They got six decoys just like this one.

#12 ·
I searched the company name and found a lot of the goose decoys they manufactured for sale. Haven't found any ducks with the float. A couple without on old auctions. My Aunt and Uncle have had antique stores for years and hit lots of auctions. They have the original canvas bag that came with these decoys too. They got six decoys just like this one.
Yep, those are the goose decoys I used.
Back then you could set up on a fence row and shoot geese.
They are a LOT wiser now. All of the dumb ones are dead!

#5 ·
#7 ·
#11 ·
That is really neat...a great gift!

Judy

#18 ·
I grew up in the pothole region of SD. During WWII I used to go out with the double barrel & sluice ducks in the potholes. Best I have ever done was 15 on 2 shells, coots didn't count. I come from the era of: How far do you lead your ducks? Depends on how fast they are swimming :).

But I do have some rubber collapsible decoys in my barn somewhere, used once & at least 50 years old. I liked to jump shoot & float the rivers so decoys were unused. When i hunted over decoys someone else took care of them.

The one time I used the collapsibles. was on a slough in MT on a slightly foggy day. The action was slow so I wandered around & through the fog saw about 4 ducks on this little pothole, performed a sneak & shouted when I got in range. No ducks got up, I had snuck my own decoys :).

That is a neat decoy, have hunted with honker silhouettes that worked quite well & are easy to transport.

#17 ·
They also gave me three old skeleton keys from cell #255 from the Walla Walla penitentiary. Can only make me wonder? :)

#21 ·
I like the price on them compared to the price I just paid for some speck floaters at $22 each! Have times changed or what?

BHB

#22 ·
I like the price on them compared to the price I just paid for some speck floaters at $22 each! Have times changed or what?

BHB
In my younger time we hunted because ducks were food ;). 10 cents for a couple of shells was significant. Today a lot of hunters are there for recreation, so don't mind the pricey paraphernalia.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.