RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Pheasant Hunt??

5K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Eddie Sullivan 
#1 ·
We are looking into a pheasant hunt for 2013. Places we have checked with must be 5 star. Anybody in pheasant country know of a cheaper way to make a good hunt? Not looking for a freebe. Just 2 old dog trainers and a client or 2 looking for a relaxing long weekend. Any help would be appreciated.

#3 ·
My brother and I had a great time at SoDak Pheasant Camp 2 yrs ago. http://sodakpheasants.com/

I couldn't get a spot last year or get away this, but dream about ALL those birds... Iowa got clobbered with ICE 4 and 3 yrs ago and record snow 2 yrs ago, each followed by wet springs. Last winter was mild, but it will be years to recovery. This article (from yesterday): http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/01/us/as-pheasants-disappear-hunters-in-iowa-follow.html?ref=science doesn't mention the 3 horrible winters & wet springs.

#5 ·
We just got back from an un-guided hunt in SD. 3 people 45 birds in 5 days, and 5 deer in another day and a half. on a mix of private and public land. 3 others there with us left a day earlier with there 4 day limit. if you want to go that way its not that hard and its allot easier to get on private land later in the year and the crowds are mostly gone.
Duane

#7 ·
Isabel SD, Firesteel Creek Lodge Largest in SD, member of Safari Club International. 5 stand, individual rooms- 3 bar areas, and a massuese on staff. Family owned The shooting Sportsman magazine has been back to this lodge 5 repeat times-no place ever has had a repeat by them! Pheasants, Sharptail grouse and partridge. www.firesteelcreeklodge.com I have been to numerous places is SD along with some of them mentioned above, and none hold a candle to this place.
What's a great vacation cost? You asked for 5 star...

#8 ·
#10 ·
If you want affordable, South Dakota has tons of public land. You will have to work harder, but you can find plenty of places to walk. There are very good maps on the SD GF&P web sites. When I lived in SD, I mostly hunted public land and found lots of pheasants. Book hotel rooms early because they all fill up during hunting season.

#11 ·
I live in sd, you don't need a guide if you have a couple of good dogs. Go to the Aberdeen or Redfield area get a hotel room and hunt public land it is that simple most rooms run 70 to 160 a night for hunting season and plenty of land to hunt publicly but be prepared to work the wild ones don't give you freebies and hold very well and post people at the ends they will get the majority of the birds for your group especially later in the season they like to run and flush 50 to 100 yds ahead good luck but book your room well in advance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.