RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Flyer Gunners?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  John Lash 
#1 ·
How imortant is it for the bird to land close to the ribbon someone put out for landing spot.
Some wont fly, some turn the other way from the majority:eek:

#4 · (Edited)
Shoot flyers out of the test ( if possible ) and give the dogs a lot of area to hunt.....The ribbon is a directional guide for my flyers...there will always be long and short, some in and some back just because they are live ...When shooting flyers with the use of a winger put the head in the same direction each time and pay close attention to wind and the direction they want to fly...Steve S

#5 ·
I recently shot flyers at a test. Everyone should try it. It gives you a new appreciation for the guys that can put a duck in the same spot most of the time. It is also important to use quality shells. We hand threw them, and they were all over the place due to the wind swirling. I think a winger is a good idea, but these are still birds that can fly and do there own thing.

#6 ·
I agree with Steve S. The ribbon shows the direction moreso than a spot. In fact, after the practice shots and before the test dog, I usually tell the gunners to pick up the ribbons. There are a lot of dogs that can see the ribbon and there's no sense in creating an unfair advantage either way.

#7 ·
it's a flyer...their landing spots are unpredictable and judges do/should take that into consideration when judging flyers. A ribbon left in the field is actually something I try to avoid as a judge as if the bird doesn't land on it and I release the dog...dog has problems...it just gives the handlers something to nit pick about later on. It's great if the gunners can drop the birds in the same spot each time, but it's not practical so even if you think that last flyer you shot should be a no bird and the judges release the dog anyway, those judges are typically going to take that fall location into consideration when coming up with a marking score.

#8 ·
Unless the flier lands too far away, lands at their feet, flys away or behind the guns it's good. Every no bird costs the club another $12.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.