RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Canadian trial entry fees

4K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Breck 
#1 ·
I'm going to run several trials in BC in May. Premiums all say funds must be paid in Canadian dollars. Does an International money order from the USPS work?

Thanks

#2 ·
Not with the club in question, but as long as the money order is in Canadian $'s you shouldn't have an issue. If you're not sure I'd shoot a note off to the test secretary listed on the premium to check.

#6 ·
Now Harry .... Not ALL our mail is delivered via Montreal!! ;-)

#5 ·
I'll be there, I'm judging JR on May 11. I found out the money orders I can buy from the USPO are called International but are are still made out in USD and not CND. Waiting to hear back from a couple test secretaries now on the M/O issue.

#14 ·
The sad thing is that it is a piece of cake for us Canadians to get a US money order. Do not understand why US banks have such a problem acknowledging their biggest trading partner and offering the same convenience to have CAD money orders to their clients.
I live an hour and a half from the Canadian border and can not get a CAD money order here. So I thought I would try to open a bank account in Canada - I went thru so many hoops and was not able to do it. After filling out form after form, finally I was told unless I was a student I could not live in the states and open a Canadian bank account. The past couple of years I have run more Canadian trials than US trials - luckily I have not had too much trouble, but it can be a challenge.

#10 ·
Real close to par 1CDN = 1.03US as of today, but it must be trouble with the banks accepting a check or M/O. Last year I ran 4 trials with the same club and entered before the deadline but paid the entry fee in cash at the trial, not sure every club will allow that. A bit of a hassle as the bank in Canada I stopped at would only exchange up to $100.

I'm sure it will work out but you gotta love Entry Express despite the admin fee of $3.50.

#12 ·
When I used to run alot in Canada with my MR TRU dog, I would write a personel check and based on the exchange rate make sure I had a couple $ extra just in case the rates changed by the time it got there. I would mark it "entry fee & donation", never had a problem at BRANDON or MGDA. In fact If I sent to much they would say You've got money coming back and I would say it's a donation. God, I loved going up there, the greatest people! Be prepared to party!

#13 ·
Thanks for the correction, now if we could just get a better deal on the fuel cost per liter.

#17 ·
I have trialed in Canada for 35 years first in obedience, then hunt tests, then field trials. I used to contact the secretaries and ask them if I could write a personal check for them to hold onto until I got there and then trade the check for Canadian cash. I was never turned down. Of course, that was when the U.S. dollar was worth a lot more than the Canadian dollar so they wouldn't have been out money if I didn't show up. I opened a Canadian checking account awhile back and now I don't have to worry about it.

#18 ·
it usually takes 2 weeks for my entries to arrive to canada usually triple postage is required and i usually write a check for little
over the amount. the secretaries have always cashed and given me the difference at the trial . i did have an account in canada
no problem being a yank used the scotia bank. never heard of a bank not wanting to hold your money

keith l

#19 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, right now it looks like I'll send a personal check for the club to hold then pay cash at the trial.

#20 ·
If Canadian Clubs have a number of entries from US owners they could simply set up a standard PayPal account to process entries. You can now easily accept payment in a number of currencies. US/CDN or CDN/US should be a snap.
I didn't dig into it fully but this PayPal link will get you started in the right direction.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/sell/mc/mc_intro-outside
You can even setup a web store to accept payment in numerous currencies.
I still have a Canadian check I never cashed due to the PIA. Souvenir from winning a National Calcutta.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.