RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

9 weeks old retrieve question

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Illini Coot Killr 
#1 ·
At 9 weeks of age, what do you typically expect from your puppy as far as retrieving? I have been throwing a paintroller two or three times a day in the hallway and most days he loves it but some days he runs and pounces on it then just starts looking around and doesn't pick it up or bring it back. Outside he has retrieved it a few times but more days than not he will just run over to it and pounce on it then start looking around at other stuff. I don't do anything but just let him continue playing. Of course when I pick the roller up he wants to grab it again... Just wondering if I should be doing anything else at this age or just let him continue playing.

#2 ·
Don't worry ! He's only 9 weeks, and depending on how big or small he is the paint roller may actually be to big right now, find some kind of toy or something he gets real fired up about ! it may take trying a few diffrent things to start. Just keep throws real short, and keep him incouraged! Don't worry he's just a baby, he's doing exactly what he suppose to be doing ! Being a puppy !

#3 ·
I am new to this forum so I'm not sure if this is the most sage advice, but with that qualifyer let me say I wouldn't worry too much about this with a 9 week old. Most of my puppies start retrieving around 8 weeks but I make it a silly game.. This is what I do: Take a favorite toy, stick or anything, paint roller is fine, get the pup excited about it. (Remember this is fun!) Make sure you are somewhere you can move around. While playing with the pup give it a toss and when he goes for it tons of excited praise, when he picks it up start moving backwards while praising, clapping hands whatever. If he brings it by you that's ok. If he drops it, go pick it up and toss again. This is just a game at this point and once he gets the jest of it he should start bringing it back. Always end on a good note, 3 out of 4 retrieves is good, 4 out of 5 better but, he will eventually get it ;-) I don't compete in field trials, but our dogs hunt with abandonment and the key has always been to make it fun..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.