RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Puppy Questions - What to do.

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Dustin D 
#1 ·
Guys I have searched and read as many posts as I could find on the two questions I have - theyve both been covered but I'm still not sure what to do.

1. Biting. My BLM is almost 10 weeks old. He pretty much bites constantly if anyone, including me, is messing with him unless he is absolutely worn out. I have tried rolling his lips in - he yipes pulls away and comes back for a harder bite. I have tried the tap on the nose - he pulls away and comes back harder. We've tried the yelp, the turn your back, etc etc. Bascially, I'm trying to figure out if I need to get more forceful or just let him be a puppy? I read that we've got to let them be puppies but also read that we don't want to let them learn a behavior we will have to train out of them later. I think somedays that I have made progress but then others it is really bad. Suggestions?

2. Noise. When I crate him while we are still awake, just for a break or whatever, he goes pretty well nuts. Up until today, I have pretty much just told everyone to ignore him and eventually he shuts up. However, today it seemed like even out of his crate he would yipe to get attention or whatever he wanted. the entire family knows to ignore him if he does this so trying not to let him get anything if he does it. I don't think he knows the command quiet yet so I'm just not sure where to go on this one either. Should I begin to hold his muzzle and say quiet? side note,if I do that he will nip at me when I let go...

Part of me says I just need to relax and let him be a puppy he will grow out of it - I just dont want to mess up.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Puppies are a LOT of work and a BIG commitment. But in the end they give back to you WAY WAY WAY more then you give them. The end.

Use the crate. Play with pup outside. Get pup nice and wore out. Put pup in create and you get a break. Rinse and repeat. Don't let pup out of your sight inside or outside.

Everytime pup wakes up or after eating, etc... take pup outside to potty. CARRY pup outside to do it's business.

Those are my best tips. I do not let pup have free run of the house until the get older. Have fun and enjoy your pup. :) Remember, pup is just a little baby for now.

Sounds like you are doing a good job so far. Be patient with pup!

#3 · (Edited)
For the persistently yapping/barking attention seeker, put the crate in a place where you can't hear him. Two things happen.....your family will have that much needed quiet time and the pup will not be able to "train you".

For the biting, snub him up to you with a short tether and deal with it "one on one" on the living room floor where you are in physical control. Teach him that being quiet and not biting is the new "norm". Don't allow him to be in any situations where he can bite until this is completed. Waiting for it to go away is wishful thinking. If he gets more size on him without understand the "rules" it will may be more difficult to extinquish.

Rule number one in puppy training is the trainer is supposed to be smarter than a pup. Hoping things will just improve is not nearly as effective as being proactive. The whole process becomes a lot more fun when you have a plan involving effective alternatives. Take charge and provide the "little bugger" with a fair and firm attitude adjustment.

I believe an appropriate expression would be "The honeymoon is over." ;)

#4 ·
Take charge and provide the "little bugger" with a fair and firm attitude adjustment.

I believe an appropriate expression would be "The honeymoon is over." ;)
Thats funny, I told my wife that letting puppy be puppy may be ending this morning. I was thinking it was time to start trying to gain some control before he gets bigger for sure. Thanks for the input.

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
Biting...... I grab the loose skin on back of neck like the Mom would do and firmly or even loudly say NO.... Also put the end to some kind
of "Zone" one of the pups would get into.... giving me that Alpha look... by doing something Cesar Milan does.... "snap them out of his fixation".
Push him away and make some kind of noise to snap them out of that predator look. It worked very well with the older pup.... the younger
one still gets a little snotty so I just pick her up, friendly like, and put her in her crate..... I also cover the crate to calm any noise. Hope you
get it worked out.... it is a pain in more ways than one but if you stick with it you will have a fine companion.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.