RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Dew Claws???

12K views 33 replies 30 participants last post by  Jay Dufour 
#1 ·
I was having a conversation with my vet about removing the dew claws on my new litter. My vet is a dog owner (E Setters) and hunter, and told me "if it was him, he wouldn't worry about removing them." I have also seen other articles saying the "latest research" is linking dew claw removal to front leg problem later in life...

So my question is: Should I remove the dew claws or don't worry about???

Please give me your theories on why I should or shouldn't...

I have till Monday 11/20 to deside...

Thank you for your input...

#30 ·
Over two thousand gundogs and field trial dogs trained over the past 45 years
Over 100 disaster search dogs trained over the past 10 years plus numberous USAR deployments over the past 10 years

Of that total sample I have had 10 to 15 dogs injure toe nails.

Of that total sample I have never had a dog with a dew claw injury.

#32 ·
For what it's worth, my daughter has a high roller rescue dog that has seriously torn dew claws twice. For five generations I have removed pup's dew claws at day three. My hard working big dogs have not had leg issues.

#33 ·
I've had waders torn by a dew claw and gotten some really nasty scratches from them when swimming with dogs. I'm sure many people don't get in the water with waders on with dew claws, especially teaching and hunting with young dogs. I also like to go swimming with my dogs in the summer. My avatar is in the middle of the Snoqualmie River during a field trial in the summer when it was about 98 degrees. My female Kaie will pull me to shore in a swift current. I figure it's good training should I ever take a spill in a cold river during hunting season. I can grab hold and she'll turn straight to shore and pull me in. Doubt a lot of folks do that either. Dew claws are nasty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.