RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Help an old newbie get started correctly.

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Steve Shaver 
#1 ·
Ok here is my story. We have recently had to put my Malamute down due to liver cancer so I will be in the market for a new dog. I have owned a lab before and it was a very long time ago. I have never really trained a good hunting dog. I did ok on Koda he was a good family pet. I have decided on starting out with using the Evan Graham Series to help me learn to be good trainer for my up and coming field companion and family dog. I know it is going to take a lot of time and patience just like with the kids. I want to do this correctly. I have hunted ducks many years mostly without a dog. But the time has come to change that. Besides a create and the videos what else do I need to get started. I would like to get prepared for when I bring the young pup home and make sure it is a positive environment for him/her. In the training department I want the dog to be a primary water dag than upland dog and of course a coveted member of the family. Also where is a good place to look into reputable source for a puppy that will not cause a divorce? I have done a few local searches but it is hard to know what to look for or who to ask in this department. Any more info that you all with experience is always appreciated as I consider myself a total newbie.

Thanks
Matt

#6 ·
There are some nice lab litters around right now, a couple listed in the RTF want ads. I can give you a few leads via PM.

Do you know about the standard health clearances for labs? One parent must be clear of genes for the recessive diseases exercise induced collapse (EIC) and centonuclear myopathy (CNM). I have heard of PRA (progressive retinal atrophy) genes floating around in pointing lines around here, so you should be aware of this recessive disease as well. Both parents should have passed annual eye exams (CERF) that check for signs of heritable eye disease. Both parents should have passed tests (X-rays) that check for hip and elbows dysplasia. These are usually done through the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA) but some are doing PennHip. You should be able to verify all of this information, and if the breeder is on the ball it will all be recorded at offa.org for you to verify. You will increase your odds of getting a healthy puppy if the breeder has bothered to do all this. Since you want a hunting dog, get one with field titles in its pedigree---FC/AFC/QAA/MH titles.

The retriever clubs aren't active right, things start up again in late January. We can get you on the email announcements list if you like.

Let me know if I can be of help. Lots happens right there in your own backyard at the Lee Kay Center!

#5 ·
Matt, there are quite a few REPUTABLE breeders in your backyard, including gentleman like Ted Barker and Steve Shaver, if either has a litter on the ground or planned you could make your life easier by contacting them first, feel free to contact me if you would like more info as I do know of another possibility if you are in the market immediately

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.