RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Will not fetch any more

5K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  Mary Lynn Metras 
#1 ·
This is my first poast, I have a chocolate lab that is 5 1/2months old. This hole week he has seemed to be going backward in his want to fetch. I was throwing for him last night and hit him in the head on when I was throwing the dummie "he ran in front of my throw"!He heels and comes ok I think for his age. I am not sure why he has been so hard to deel with this week any thoughts?

#3 ·
Teething was my 2nd thought. First thought was what program is he following and how far along was he? :p

#4 ·
Teething would be my first guess at 5 1/2 months old. The gums are sore and the bumper hurts his mouth.

Second would be that he is now a teenager and might have realized that he is "free" when he is sent on the retrieve. I remember my kids saying "you can't make me" and that is also a sentiment shared by pups at this age.

Don't over think hitting him in the head with the bumper - I had one run head long into a post once. Thought it killed her and then was afraid she would never run out after a bumper. She shook it off and was fine.

Good Luck with your pup.

#6 ·
I shouldn't reply because I am still trying to figure this stuff out myself but........I'm gonna. heh heh
Teething is likely
Teenage is also possible

And a third thought is "what he is doing all day"?. Is he out playing with other dogs or family members? If he is in training then YOU need to be the highlight of his day. If he is having fun all day and you represent "school" or "work" then he is likely to loose interest.

I would stop for a few days (this lets a sore mouth heal and if he's just burned out it gives him a break). Work on heeling while you lay off fetch. Then when you start back up limit the number of retrieves to only a few.

#7 ·
This may seem tiny, but please read your subject line.

"My dog won't retrieve anymore" can unfairly put you in a negative mindset.

"My dog is temporarily less enthused about retrieving than prior" or something along those lines is a more productive way to view it. That's reality. It's temporary. It is worth noticing and realizing that you need to adjust what you're doing to help optimize results and satisfaction.

I only mention this to illustrate that many bumps that we run into with our dog training are merely temporary delays or issues that we need to work through. Most all dogs have these sorts of things crop up and this is part of the "fun" of dog training.

Don't let it bug you too much. It is temporary. Absence can make the heart grow fonder. I'd quit letting him retrieve stuff for a while and quit acting like I want him to for a while. Keep things fun. One thing I really like in Mr. Hillman's material is the notion of balance. He talks about the balance between introducing some "obedience" and the wild desire to retrieve.

It could easily be teething and discomfort. It could also be confusion over too much control, too early. Stay cool, stay positive, be happy. Don't get emotional or angry with pup. (for many of us this is easier said than done)

I don't want to embarrass this trainer, but I want to show this for a true example of the RIGHT way to handle it when our pup does not do what we desire. This is the sign of a wonderful training mentality and someone who truly gets it. Pete, I hope this does not embarrass you. I saw this weeks ago and can't get it out of my mind. We all should emulate this when our training lesson doesn't go quite the way we'd like. The first minute is how most all of us would do it. But watch from 1:15 forward. How many of us would stay this calm, and make it this much of a non-issue? I personally think the way Pete handled this is wonderful and it is certainly something that I can learn from.

Chris

#24 ·
This may seem tiny, but please read your subject line.

"My dog won't retrieve anymore" can unfairly put you in a negative mindset.

"My dog is temporarily less enthused about retrieving than prior" or something along those lines is a more productive way to view it. That's reality. It's temporary. It is worth noticing and realizing that you need to adjust what you're doing to help optimize results and satisfaction.

I only mention this to illustrate that many bumps that we run into with our dog training are merely temporary delays or issues that we need to work through. Most all dogs have these sorts of things crop up and this is part of the "fun" of dog training.

Don't let it bug you too much. It is temporary. Absence can make the heart grow fonder. I'd quit letting him retrieve stuff for a while and quit acting like I want him to for a while. Keep things fun. One thing I really like in Mr. Hillman's material is the notion of balance. He talks about the balance between introducing some "obedience" and the wild desire to retrieve.

It could easily be teething and discomfort. It could also be confusion over too much control, too early. Stay cool, stay positive, be happy. Don't get emotional or angry with pup. (for many of us this is easier said than done)

I don't want to embarrass this trainer, but I want to show this for a true example of the RIGHT way to handle it when our pup does not do what we desire. This is the sign of a wonderful training mentality and someone who truly gets it. Pete, I hope this does not embarrass you. I saw this weeks ago and can't get it out of my mind. We all should emulate this when our training lesson doesn't go quite the way we'd like. The first minute is how most all of us would do it. But watch from 1:15 forward. How many of us would stay this calm, and make it this much of a non-issue? I personally think the way Pete handled this is wonderful and it is certainly something that I can learn from.

Chris
Chris Really good comment. Quit while we are ahead. Read the dog!

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the good advice!

Chris I need to keep a positive outlook on this does not let it get me down!
STAY POSTIVE

Teething makes sense. He is in the Richard a Walters green book is what I am training him by!
Will him watching other dogs do whatever they want affect him in think he does not half to listen?
Is it bad not to let him play with other dog because they bight at each other and when he plays with anyone that is all he wants to do it nip and bight at them?

My girl friend has been home for the past week for vacation so he is out all day hanging out with her "PLAYING" might be a nether reason never thought of that

#12 ·
There is a little red mat from an old bronco about 3 feet in front of the chair. its slides around when some of the dogs take off or come in and stop to fast. I'm to cheap to buy a real mat. So it kind of moves around).

#15 ·
Chris

Thanks for that video.

Pete

Thanks for making your videos. I enjoy looking at them. You do have a nice calm manner when training.

#16 ·
Pete, I have done that with Indy for years! He is 100% steady when running from his mat with me throwing remote. Its only when he has me beside him the trouble starts. Hmmmm......wonder if that doesn't sort of point out the problem.;) And George, Pete does have a great manner and style with dogs.

#17 ·
My first thought was like many above: teething. My second thought was that maybe you are doing the retrieving too much and he is bored. How many times are you tossing a bumper in a single session? How many days a week do you do retrieving?
My suggestion. Train only a few days a week, not 5-6. In Hillman's dvd, Training a Retriever Puppy, he only trains him about every second or third day. Also, keep the retrieves down to about 3 or 4 per session.

I don't know what you are tossing but you might try a small paint roller as that will be easier on his mouth if he is still teething a bit.

Hope this helps.

#18 ·
[QUOTEPete, I have done that with Indy for years! He is 100% steady when running from his mat with me throwing remote. Its only when he has me beside him the trouble starts. Hmmmm......wonder if that doesn't sort of point out the problem.:wink: And George, Pete does have a great manner and style with dogs.][/QUOTE]

Carol
If that's the case may be you can blend back in with Indy,,,,starting out in the field and gradually moving closer until you can send with him slightly behind you.
I think it can work even at Indy's age. I worked a little bit with a dog this summer who had run to many events with not so good line manners,,, sort of like Indy is. In about a month I was able to work him from slightly behind me. His nose with the back of my heels. it didn't affect his marks what so ever
We double staked him and he didn't move a muscle until the last bird,,, but he had 5 no birds that day. So we were very happy, and he had a good 10 minute honor. (2 year old dog),, I think its worth working on. Indy is a nice dog,Pete

#27 ·
[QUOTEPete, I have done that with Indy for years! He is 100% steady when running from his mat with me throwing remote. Its only when he has me beside him the trouble starts. Hmmmm......wonder if that doesn't sort of point out the problem.:wink: And George, Pete does have a great manner and style with dogs.]
Carol
If that's the case may be you can blend back in with Indy,,,,starting out in the field and gradually moving closer until you can send with him slightly behind you.
I think it can work even at Indy's age. I worked a little bit with a dog this summer who had run to many events with not so good line manners,,, sort of like Indy is. In about a month I was able to work him from slightly behind me. His nose with the back of my heels. it didn't affect his marks what so ever
We double staked him and he didn't move a muscle until the last bird,,, but he had 5 no birds that day. So we were very happy, and he had a good 10 minute honor. (2 year old dog),, I think its worth working on. Indy is a nice dog,Pete[/QUOTE]

Just to add to that I go out and throw three marks about 100-200yds and walk back and stand by my dog, then send. Builds good memory for the dog. Fun work!

#19 ·
Pam
Being able to throw marks with out me coming back in all the time is a big plus. The most important thing to me about doing it like this is that I can teach cheating singles without breaking the dogs momentum. especially down the shore marks.
pete

#22 ·
Great video, thanks Pete for sharing. I have a 2 year old with lot's of drive and I've spent a lot of time with her breaking. I'm going to study your video and see if I can't incorporate it in her training, I think it might help with her breaking.

#23 · (Edited)
Great video, thanks Pete for sharing. I have a 2 year old with lot's of drive and I've spent a lot of time with her breaking. I'm going to study your video and see if I can't incorporate it in her training, I think it might help with her breaking.
Rick
There are more of Violet if you type in GoosebusterRetriever on the utube station. I hope those extra ones can help. What have you done so far with the dog to try to steady it?
Pete

Thanks Julie
I wish I were in Australia this time of year
Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.