RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Master Hunt Test Set-Ups

14K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  cwilson 
#1 · (Edited)
Since picnic tests and training days will be here soon, I thought I'd share some set-ups of recent hunt tests for those that are new to the game or if anyone needs some ideas for training. I'll post these, and I can post more if people are interested. There is of course an entirely different discussion on HOW to train for these, but today, I'm just posting the WHAT. :p

I made these pictures using Google Earth and Microsoft Publisher. I saved the image I wanted in Google Earth as a jpeg, and then made my additions in Publisher. My memory is terrible, so it helps me remember previous tests and what different set-ups look like. I know this would have helped me tremendously when I first started out.

Map Land lot Volcanic field Earth

Land lot Map

Map Estuary

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Dog #2 would be in the "honor" position, while dog #1 did the walk-up. However after the flyer landed, dog #2 would be called to pick up the bird. The double would then be thrown, with dog #2 honoring while dog #1 picked up the double. After the double was picked up, dog #1 would go to #2 spot, and dog #3 would start the walk-up, and the test repeated. The test was started by having a bye dog be in the #2 spot, while #1 did the walk-up. A few dogs had some problems running the double because they had to run past the old fall of the flyer. If a dog drifted off line into the old fall, they had problems.

The thirds series is/was a lot tougher than what people thought. Even though the marks weren't that long, all the birds were in your face. The #1 bird being the flyer landed right in the middle of the pond in full view of the dog. The majority of dogs picked that bird up first even though it was the first bird down.

#11 ·
I take the set-ups in the hunt tests and break them down to teach the different concepts to the dog. If I had a dog struggle in a certain set-up/concept, I could plan accordingly and tailor the training to meet the need(s) of the dog. Example: If my dog had a hard time driving past an old fall on a blind retrieve (like the OP in the 2nd and 3rd series) then I could make a note of that and make sure we get more training dealing with exactly that. Drills such as KRD or 4 phase drill could help with this concept.

#12 ·
Arggghhh! Thanks for reminding me why I haven't done hunt tests much. Too much going on all around. My head spins just looking at the pictures, no wonder my dog totally loses his mind when all those duck calls, shotguns etc start going off all around him within 100 yards. But by golly I'm gonna give it a try this summer. Got to do something!

#14 ·
My head spins just looking at the pictures, no wonder my dog totally loses his mind when all those duck calls, shotguns etc start going off all around him within 100 yards
In hunt tests, the birds fall one bird at a time, the dog picks them up one bird at a time. If your mind is spinning, how do you keep your dog calm and on task?

#18 ·
Thanks for the different senior set up diagrams. Planning on running seniors this spring and while I am confident she's ready, it's always nice to consider other setups and things to train for :)

#22 ·
I've seen it once and heard of them being run in the Pacific NW...

I judged this test last year, and my fellow co-judge was known for running cold honors. I had heard of them before, but never seen it. I told him I have never seen one before, so we set one up for the first series. :) Just something to be aware of/train for. Hope it helps!

#23 ·
I haven't seen it. I know I don't like shooting fliers inside of gun stations.

#26 ·
Willie one more question. In your set up with the cold honor, if I am dog #1 and am doing the walk-up, what can I say to my dog as she is not going to pick up the flyer? Can I say "No, Sit", just " Sit", or blow a sit whistle ? Thanks
Oncini

#27 ·
Treat it as a regular walk up. When the bird is in the air you can either blow the whistle or say "sit". I believe the rule book says you get to choose one. All that is different is instead of calling for dog 1 to retrieve the bird, dog 2 is called instead. After the dog has been released to retrieve, your dog is now honoring, you can talk to your dog as long as it doesn't interfere with the working dog. You could say anything to your dog...after the judge releases the working dog...as long as it isn't intimidating or interfering with the working dog. Hope that helps!

#29 ·
Thank you for taking the time to illustrate a few Master set ups. I do have a judging question about the cold honor. What if any penalty is there for hunting the flyer fall area by the new working dog? Obviously it was picked up already but does this constitute "hunting an old fall" or simply the dog "honoring his nose".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.