RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Actigall and liver issues in old dogs (sorta GDG)

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  hotel4dogs 
#1 ·
My older Golden hasn't been eating as well lately. I had her at the vet yesterday, and her liver enzymes are literally off his charts.
He said she either has liver cancer (he thinks most likely), or her liver is "really pissed off about something". We started her on some antibiotics to see if it will help.
She will be 16 years old in 2 weeks, so I'm not interested in doing ultrasounds etc., just keeping her comfortable and eating for as long as possible.
Does anyone have any experience with the drug Actigall for liver issues in dogs?
Thanks.

#2 ·
No advice but sending prayers!

#4 ·
Thanks for the kind words.
She's been on sam-E and milk thistle for quite a while, but I had to take her off the sam-E because she takes tramadol and you can't do both.
Mary, what is the liver cleansing diet?

#5 · (Edited)
First, I am not a Vet; my training is in Pharmacology. Actigall (Ursodiol), in humans, is used to solubilize (dissolve) gall stones. I would bet the farm that the use is similar in our canine friends. Unless your dog has liver enzyme increases due to blocked ducts secondary to gall stones (increased bilirubin and other hepatic markers), the product will not be very useful (again referencing the use in humans). The product is not effective in acute blockages and takes generally 3-6 months to be effective in humans.

My best to your Golden! Hope improvement is seen quickly and he is back to his normal self soon.

#7 ·
mnadams, thanks for the info. This is from one of the vet websites, which led me to believe it *might* help. At this point, we're pretty well grasping at anything.

thanks Maryand kimo, will check the emails.

"...There are many benefits to the use of ursodeoxycholic acid in the treatment of liver disease.

Removal of Toxic Bile Acids
Not all bile acids are created equally, meaning that some are more toxic to the liver than others. The bile acids produced by dogs and cats are not as toxic as some of their human counterparts but, in the intestine, even the relatively benign dog and cat bile acids are modified by intestinal bacteria into toxic bile acids. These toxic bile acids are reabsorbed back into the body where they damage the liver if they are allowed to build up. Ursodeoxycholic acid is a non-toxic bile acid. The intestine will preferentially reabsorb ursodeoxycholic acid over more toxic bile acids when the two types are together in the intestine.

Increased bile flow
When the liver is healthy, small amounts of toxic bile acids get reabsorbed into the liver and are dealt with promptly. When the liver is not healthy, these bile acids build up and damage the liver further. Ursodeoxycholic acid is what is called a choleretic, which means it improves the flow of bile through the tiny ducts into the gall bladder and improves the flow of bile from the gall bladder into the intestine. In other words, it helps the flow of bile, which in turn facilitates the removal of toxic bile acids as well as other toxins excreted in bile from the body.

Ursodeoxycholic acid also appears to have beneficial effects in normalizing immune reactions in the liver and may be useful in the treatment of cirrhosis and chronic active hepatitis...."

(source) Click here: 01 Ursodiol (Actigall) - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

#8 · (Edited)
Interesting thread, Barb. Glad you brought the question to RTF. When our first Golden boy, Andi, was in his 14th year our vet put him on Denamarin. 1 capsule, 225 mg, 30 minutes prior to or 2 hours after a meal.

Wonderful that you have a Golden Retriever girl that is about to turn 16.... :) longeivity at it's best!

Hope that she is feeling better with the meds and that you will keep us posted on how she is doing...and perhaps a head's up on her birthday, so that we might send some well deserved H.B. :bday: wishes!!

Best,

Judy (...the last two to three weeks, we were opening canned food for Andi. His regular diet suddenly caused tummy upset. Vet gave him a injection to stop the nausa, said it would last maybe 24 hours. Got easy to digest, good quality simple protein, skipped vegies, but appetizing..that he wanted to gobble right down..and felt ok after doing so. He did love it and was able to keep eating, doing so for quite some time :) never gave his food up. As you say, whatever made him happy and content.)

#9 ·
Thanks Judy. She'll be 16 on March 20th.
It's so hard when they get old. The only *good* thing is that, up until about 2 weeks ago, she has felt wonderful, ate like a piggie, and is still totally mobil.
Now she's just nibbling at food.

#10 ·
I'm right behind you, with Yoda 14 1/2 and his sister Paws just passing away a little while ago, I'm holding my breath waiting for the other shoe to drop. Sixteen years old is a real blessing, especially since her latter years have been good ones. I pray that she improves and if she doesn't, that she is comfortable at home with your love.

#11 ·
Thank you John. I lost my older boy last year 3 weeks short of his 14th birthday, and knew she wouldn't be far behind as she is the older of the two.
I hope Yoda and you are able to make many more memories together yet.
My vet said that, if she stops drinking and/or won't eat at all, he wants to hospitalize her. I said no. She stays here at home with me.

#13 ·
Thanks Chuck. Love your avatar, BTW.
I gave her the first Actigall yesterday. My vet warned me it won't be a miracle drug, and it will take a long time to see any results, if we will see any at all.
Strange coincidence? She ate this morning, and in fact has eaten *fairly well* all day. Nothing that she should be eating, of course, dog food is totally out, but none the less she got some good calories into her body today.
Probably coincidence. But who knows? I can't think of any other reason she would decide to eat today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.