3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Hunt'EmUp 
#1 ·
This is the setup
8 month old
Using SmartWorks Program.
CC to fetch
Just got through walking fetch & fetch no fetch
Now working on Mini Pile.

I am concerned about the lack of drive during this pile work. He runs at about 50%-60%. It seems to me like it is a lack of confidence. In the 3 bumper mini pile as used in Smartworks, the first cast he gives 100% to the bumper “5 or 6 feet away” but as the distance increases “bumper two 10 feet” “bumper three 15-20 feet” he steadily decreases the amount of drive.
So what are some techniques for increasing drive during pile work and blinds? Fetch-Nick-Fetch???????????????

Thanks,
Dustin

#2 ·
I do not know the drill you are speaking of off the top of my head, but if you are running him past a spot where he just picked up a bumper of course he is gonna slow down just a little to check out whether or not he missed something. Also drills are BORING!!

#4 ·
Are you sure he is solid on Force Fetch? I am nor familiar with the SmartWorks program, so I cannot comment on that.
In my experience if they are properly Forced and understand pressure I don't think they would be having this problem.
One clue you gave is your last question-Fetch nick Fetch- If your are increasing your distance from the pile you should have had an easy transition from the word Fetch to back. Not sure I am helping or not.

#5 ·
Quick question are you giving fun bumpers and lifting the tempo during drills as said earlier drills are boring

#6 ·
This is the setup
8 month old
Using SmartWorks Program.
CC to fetch
....So what are some techniques for increasing drive during pile work and blinds? Fetch-Nick-Fetch???????????????

Thanks,
Dustin
You can't force style. When you force a dog, and see the dog accelerate, that's not style; it's avoidance. It doesn't tend to last. In fact it tends to go the other way - taking the dog's overall style down right along with his attitude. Can you shoot some video of a typical session and post it up or email it to me? rushcreekpress@aol.com

Evan

#7 ·
Ditto what Evan said: Not uncommon for dogs to slow down and be a bit moody during this time. You are doing fine, maybe relax the pressure for a few days - just throw some fun bumpers, get him on some birds......sometimes they just need a little time to process.

#8 ·
You could be creating the lack of style you are seeing by 1) over drilling - yes, they are boring to the dog as well as you. You can suck the style out of them. 2) running him past the point he has already picked up a bumper 3) not praising enough. Use your fun bumpers.

Your 8 month old is a baby. Make it fun and happy. This doesn't mean to relax your standard, but sessions should be short and sweet. Get in, and get out.

#9 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I plan to get on some real birds this weekend at a HRC training day. Unfortunately it is not easy for me to keep live birds or frozen ones right now. I hope that will get him fired up.
I think he is properly FF he gets it. He did great in walking fetch and fetch no fetch. If I say fetch he is looking for a bumper to pick up..
Evan,
I was hoping you would join in on this. Judging by some replies your program must take a little different approach to this than others. I have been following your program, and plan to continue all the way through. BTW I have put no force into mini pile. The force question was simply that; just a question. I will try to get some video this weekend of a typical afternoon session, and post it.

I will try to be more excited and animated as well. I probably taking too much of a drill sergeant approach to this, I struggle to remember he is not even a year old yet….

Thanks,
Dustin

#10 ·
And some video? Is that a go?

Evan

#11 ·
Dustin,
You will be amazed at how birds especially live birds will pick up a dogs attitude. If you want to shoot some flyers Saturday, that can be arranged. I would guess your dog is simply bored with the drills. A few marks and maybe a live flyer should put the pep back in his step.

#13 ·
X1000 on this. I was having the same issue last week on pattern blinds while I was using bumpers, and a couple ducks on the blind cleared that right up.

I should be training with Mark on Saturday, and as he said we would love to have you.

#12 ·
I think somewhere in Lardy's stuff about the drills, "they don't have to look like they're enjoying it." Or words to that effect.

#14 · (Edited)
An 8mt old dog is still very much a puppy, he maybe doing the work, Good for him but remember he is a puppy. You won't be doing yourself any favors working him as you would an older dog, he doesn't have the same attention span, forcing him to continue when he gets distracted will just sour him on it, and give you Drive problems to work out later ;). Start the drill, keep going as long as he's interested, but when it comes time that he wants to pause and go chase butterflies, let him chase butterflies ;). When he figures he may want to go back to work go back to work. There will be plenty of time to get tough with him later, but now He's a puppy enjoy this time with him, it doesn't last.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.