RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Puppy tattoo kit and ????

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  JJaxon 
#1 ·
I have a litter due this weekend and want to tattoo them for a couple reasons.
Who has used one?
Brand?
Pros and cons.
MP

#2 ·
I used tattoos before microchips and hated it. It is terrible to close the pliers hard enough to make the impression and hear the ear cartilage crunch and the puppies scream.

I have a pliers and two sets of numbers and letters I will sell cheap : )

Meredith

#3 ·
This has been a big issue I our local news after someone saw a local hog hunter had his dogs tattooed. What an uproar by the local press. Luckily several local vets backed the guy saying it is a common and acceptable way to mark a dog.
PI have never done it, but it use to be very common back in the day and I have known many dogs that had tats.

#4 ·
#8 ·
We tattoo all of our pups at around 7 weeks. No big deal. They yipe when you close the pliers and then it's over. We use the Ketchum brand tattoo plier and letters which I ordered through the Canadian Kennel Club, I'm sure there are other places to get them as I think the same size unit is used for rabbit tattoos (so maybe a farm supply store). The most important thing is that the ink makes a huge difference. Some ink does not seem to take the same way that other ink does. I am sitting next to a 10 year old dog right now that I tattooed at 7 weeks at it is legible and clear (good ink!), but used a different brand on my last litter and they needed to be redone.

Discussing tattoos on RTF a few years ago Angie B mentioned that she'd had a dog who had an allergic reaction to tattoo ink. That could be a potential issue I guess although I've tattooed probably 20 litters and never had a pup with a reaction.

#9 ·
Hudson was tattooed by a "Tattoo-A-Pet" franchiser. Not sure if the company is still around, but they hand wrote the number on his flank with a "regular" tattoo gun and black ink. Its still legible 6 years later. However, I think it takes a bit more skill and may not be so easy on puppies. But, he didn't seem to mind it, and he's a big weenie. The person that did it was an Irish setter breeder and I know she did her pups before they left, so it can be done that way too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.