RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

How to be a better shooter?

14K views 63 replies 30 participants last post by  gdgnyc 
#1 ·
Okay, this is alittle embarassing, But...I am not new to shooting or to guns, I have shot skeet, trap and even sporting clays for fun. Albeit, I have never been a really good shooter, I have averaged 12-15 out of 20 shooting trap. This year for the first time, I have been taking my dogs out pheasant hunting by myself. The dogs are doing GREAT, they have had flushes each and every time we have been out, however, I have yet to bring any birds of of the field with me! :( When I shoot trap, I always know when and where the clay is going to go, but in the field of course, I never feel prepared for the flush...even though I can tell when my dogs are getting birdy, it seems like I am never ready and when I am, the bird is gone! Now, my dogs don't mind and we have been having a grand time, except for not being able to put any on the table. We are lucky to be hunting an area were there are VERY few other hunters. Also, these are not "wild" birds as in NY we really only have "put and take" pheasant hunting. I am hunting with my father's old 1940's Ithaca 16ga pump shotgun, I am shooting 6's and 4's in no particular order....The other thing is I have been taking all 3 dogs afield with me because I feel bad about leaving one or more of them home! This has hurt me on a couple of occasions as I am watching one dog while the other flushes the bird...BUT...does anyone have any advise on how I can improve my shooting?

#38 ·
By no means am I a great shot. But one thing that i do occasionally is take my shotgun either outside or in the house (gun is empty) and with the gun mounted try and follow either the crown molding inside or maybe even the edge of a distance roof outside. I try and run my bead down the edge of either without pulling off and staying as level as possible.

#41 ·
Another good drill is to place a mag light in the barrel...and practice the move and mount of the gun so that the beam of the flashlight stays on the crown molding...I find that using the flashlight helps keep eyes on the target rather than the barrel.

#43 ·
Some great advice here!I deal with your problem day in and day out with clients here.GET A GUN THAT YOU CAN ADJUST!!!!!!Shooting will dramatically get better with a properly fitted gun.Shoot it on paper to see where your hitting then make adjustments asneeded to length of pull<drop of comb<cant left or right>jGood luck,Jim

#44 ·
One of the best things I did was to have an adjustable comb put in my Model 3200. I now want to put one in to my 870 Wingmaster. It makes quite a difference. My Mossberg has a homemade "Moleskin" comb adjustment on it in an attempt to get it to shoot like my trap gun.

#45 · (Edited)
And then when you finally think you've got this shooting "thing" down really well, go on a duck hunt when there's a fifteen mph cross "breeze", the temperature is almost freezing and the sun is in your eyes. In addition, you're wearing chest waders, layered clothing, a heavy coat and "supposedly warm" gloves (always containing less than warm fingers).

Final practice sessions "on the job" are required and silent expletives allowed. ;)

For example, this layout hunt (see photo) required throwing back an overhead cover, mounting a gun from my lap while "lurching" to a sitting position after lying on my backside (for sometimes long periods of time) so as to shoot ducks (maybe) that I might not see until the last moment coming from all kinds of unpredictable directions.

The coolest instant of the morning was trying to pick out a single greenwing teal from a tight "wad" of over fifty that buzzed in from the left and did a full speed, "breath taking" 180° reverse right over my decoys.

You just can't practice that. What a rush!

Gunny picked up two. :)

Gunny's layout hunt on the Mississippi (yesterday morning)

Gunny's retrieves

#52 ·
In the days that you could shoot lead while waterfowling, I made some really nice shots by getting way out in front of the bird. I made use of the long shot string. The shot string is useless unless you are in front of the bird.

#54 · (Edited)
How to learn to shoot:

Use a gun that fits you at least within reason, use an "open" choke, use small shot, shoot with someone that knows how, shoot skeet with your gun down, try it with both eyes open, mount the gun after you see the target. After every 1000 targets you will notice improvement.

You need to shoot to learn how, some people try to practice by hunting. One trip to the range and you can shoot 100 targets that are going to come out when you tell them to. You'll know exactly where they're coming from and going to.

In the simplest sense it's about seeing the target then pointing where you're looking. If your gun fits within reason it will shoot where you're looking. If it doesn't fit quite right you'll adjust without noticing. No aiming and little thinking, just watch the target, mount the gun and shoot.

When someone else is shooting stand behind them, when the bird comes out just point your finger at it instead of the gun, and follow it along it's flight. Realize that the target you are going to shoot is going as slow as the one you're pointing your finger at. It doesn't help to rush things when it's you who's actually shooting. Don't say "pull" and rush to mount the gun. See the target, follow it's flight while mounting the gun. Some skeet stations lend themselves to waiting a long time before you actually shoot. Low 1 and high 7 especially. If it's possible just start by shooting a round of targets from those two stations.

I like the skeet range, sporting clays are great fun when you know how to shoot, but aren't a good place to learn in my opinion. At least the ones I've seen.

#56 ·
If you think about it,, when shooting a clay target,,, that target is about the killing diameter of the head of a bird...

so when shooting clays,, and consistently breaking tartgets,, head shots,, or the term "Shoot em in the lips" makes perfect sense.":):)
When you go to the field to hunt,,, break the head and neck,,, and the bird is stone dead,,, and eats alot better also.

But,,all that said,, shooting feathers and clay birds is different.. at least fer me..

Gooser

#57 · (Edited)
NEVER<<<<< NEVER >>>>> Pay attention to the end of the gun barrel!!

These guys that place fancy colored beads or flourecent glow beads on the barrel,, IMHO,, are just axing fer trouble..

You shoulds be "seeing" the Target. and "feeling" the gun.

When Target shooting,, look to see the rings impressioned on the clay,, or the printing in the center..

When hunting,, look to see the bird "Blink" or "stick its tounge out" at you as it flys away.
Forget the barrels and the Bead on the end of it..

Point the gun

Gooser

#58 ·
Tip for shooting in strong wind:

Birds that are flying but seem to be not moving due to extremely strong wind, i.e not moving yet flapping wings with a speed relative to the shooter of zero, still need a lead. Common mistake is to shoot at the bird as if it is standing still. Lead is needed to account for the wind.

#59 ·
I am left eye dominate but shoot right handed. My uncle norm hated that so as a kid mearnie learn to shoot left handed, sure pisses people off when i switch and still hit birds. When shooting right I squint my right eye enough to make the left do the work and learned where to point. Most birds are missed due to not following through and raising head off the stock.

/paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.