RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Another Boykin question

36K views 116 replies 31 participants last post by  huntinman 
#1 ·
I've mostly hunted over Vizsla's, GSP & Britts... Had to put my Vizsla down last year at 9yrs with cancer... still having a hard time with it and no dog this season... anyway, time for a new dog. My wife wants a smaller dog & I have to have a hunting dog. Needs to be versatile! I like NAVHDA, I decided on a Brittany and found a good breeder with good bloodlines etc... anyway, I'm looking through a cataloge yesterday and see a little dog advertising a neoprene dog vest, thought is was a puddle pointer or something... turns out to be a Boykin. What the heck is a Boykin... made a few calls, no info on the breed, researched and found some basic stuff... friend on another forum (theoutdoorsforum.com) suggested I look over here.
Q; are there any breeders in California? I don't care about show, agility, field trials etc... (though I may run a few field trials just for fun).... needs to be a good family dog & hunt!
I don't mind traveling any distance to get a good dog... I know blood lines & training have a lot to do with it...
I would get another Vizsla in a heart beat, but I also like being married too :cool:... I know I said a lot there with only one question... but the next dog I get will be us for the next 10yrs+ we will also, most likely be getting another dog in a year and I would really like to see these dogs work....
Q; anybody seen these dogs work in the retriever trials on the west coast? (I'm in OC), so I don't mind driving...
thanks!

See less See more
#16 ·
No just watched a poor Pro from SC beat his head against the wall a few months ago. LOL He somehow managed to get 6 of his 8 dogs on his truck to be boykins. They are not for the light-hearted. I can see how being a Junior High teacher would help here and is probably right up his alley...;-)

Death wish reguards...

#5 ·
Find Elroy in Oregon. I can't find his email but, it is riverpilot something? Someone here surely can PM his contact info to you.

#10 · (Edited)
Great "little" dogs with big hearts!
With big hauls too.

The "10+ years" counted on for working a gundog runs true with Boykins - Cracker's soon to blow out the candles

for turning 12 - when she gets a little time between "loading and reloading"...

And Boykins ain't possums either, the stub tail'll tell you that - They're better labeled as "mud poodles."

MG

#9 ·
#13 ·
The AWS is a little larger and has a tail.

Lonster

#14 ·
That's not exactly an accurate statement except for the tail. There are many different "types" of Boykin Spaniels..some ranging from barely 20 lbs and under to Boykins as big as small Labradors. There's also several different types of "coat" in the Boykin Spaniel breed.

#22 ·
As a matter of fact, duck, it ain't that hard - if you know how to train a retriever. The Brits - who know a thing or two about both - say that Labs are born half-trained and spaniels die half-trained. Boykins are spaniels that are born retrieving - if you can't train them to retrieve, it's on you, or your "poor pro" - not the breed.

My FT training partners used to ask, How do you get that little dog to carry those long overs? Well, you see, most spaniels quarter quite naturally, including Boykins, so they take these nice flat casts from side to side. So, yes, making a Boykin the easiest dog I ever put through the double-T, swimby and to the Boykin's credit as a retrieving spaniel, straightest lines on pattern blinds without fading - probably because they're so low to the ground.

"Easy to train?" - you mean they have to be trained, so I gotta expend the time and effort with them, just like with any other retriever, right? Thought so...

MG

#23 ·
I love the breed and I'm pretty high on them. Yes they train differently then a lab, but I enjoy the change. You have to be patient and take your time. They are no 90 day wonders that's for sure.

Hank Huckaby. 2 years old and running Senior successfully with his owner. He's a pretty good hunting dog too!!!

Angie

#24 ·
what about other aspects as far as flushing... are they big runners? are the steady on the flush? retrieving shouldn't be a problem... I've only hunted with pointing breeds... my dog found and brought back everything... do these dogs have a temper? we have a very busy house! always people over.... the dog will be well socialized, but snapping or aggressive behavior can't be tolerated... I have been able to find Earl from Oregon.. thanks for the heads up. would still like to see theys guys in action...

#29 ·
I've found that they are a "busy" dog. Always moving. Temperaments are great, no aggression issues. My clients have used their dogs for waterfowling but I don't see why you couldn't teach them to sit to the flush. Since they are a flushing dog they will naturally go in and flush the bird. You can teach them to quarter and work tight just like any other flushing breed.

Angie
They can be taught to be steady to flush and are expected to be in tests, cover the ground hard and fast. The do well in the retriever tests also, and can readily be taught to handle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHpvyyhIs4&feature=player_embedded

View attachment 10161
http://www.boykinspaniel.org/upland_test_info.php

#25 ·
Well I don't know of any West coast breeders, I can recommend Brandywine Creek boykins. http://www.brandywinecreekboykins.com/ Check them out on FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/331775494483/ you'll see posts from brandywine owners from various parts of the country doing a variety of hunting.

Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae Mammal

I picked up this little girl in June for my wife, it's her lap dog but may be what gets my wife involved in the hunt test games. Just starting hold/FF training with her now.

#26 ·
I've found that they are a "busy" dog. Always moving. Temperaments are great, no aggression issues. My clients have used their dogs for waterfowling but I don't see why you couldn't teach them to sit to the flush. Since they are a flushing dog they will naturally go in and flush the bird. You can teach them to quarter and work tight just like any other flushing breed.

Angie

#28 · (Edited)

Angie
The majority of Boykins I've owned over the last 15 plus years have had wonderful temperaments, but I've purchased a couple puppies from outside breeders that were not of the quality temperaments I require in my breeding program. Both dogs were spayed/neutered and rehomed to adult homes (no children) and no other dogs.

Also ensure that the breeder you select is testing for Exercise Induced Collapse (EIC), because of the Boykins EIC tested so far, the carrier ratio in Boykins is similiar to the carrier ratio of EIC in Labrador Retrievers. The breed also has #14 incidence of Hip Dysplasia, cardiac issues, patella problems, numerous hereditary eye issues that can be mild to causing blindness, and epilepsy, thryoid, along with allergies, lots of skin and ear issues.

#30 ·
@ Quackwacker funny I literally was just checking out the National Field trial Entry, we are going to try and make it there this year. It'll be our first go at it. Unfortunately, won't make it to the upland. Thanks for the heads up though.

#35 · (Edited)
"Not for the faint of heart" -

Ain't no telling what 23 pounds of terror can get up to...

including hallucinating that they might have to outgrow having a canine Napoleon syndrome

Flushing and hupping to it is such an imposition on their busy time...but when they do sit still, they sit for a long and mighty companionable time. None better at it in my experience with Boykins and (plenty of) other breeds going back 50-odd years.

MG

#47 ·
DOP

An opinion. I have seen a few Boykins in the field, there are at least 4 in our training group. From what I have seen it seems that you should be cautious about the breeding. I have seen differences in appearance, drive, and temperament. I know that I have not seen enough to really come to a valid conclusion but the variety did surprise me a bit.

As far as hunting goes, Broadbill uses Rebel hunting ducks, hunting the uplands, does HRC and AKC testing. I really think Boykins are excellent gundogs.

#49 ·
This is very true and happens quite often in a new or off breed. You're gene pool is rather small and everyone wants to outcross due to the lack of understanding in regards to inbreeding. Also many are pet owners who see things quite differently then those of us who actually work and compete our dogs.

This attitude is very frustrating and you have to weed out a lot of "breeders" before you find one that really has a grasp or even a partial grasp of what the breed is about.

Angie

#48 ·
a few more pics of boykins doing the work...

and they will get wet....

the shot flier last spring in a senior hunt test we we ran at 12 months...6 labs and a Toller went before us. 3 labs had to handle to the mark. 3 went out on this bird and the Toller never got in the right area code. Must have been the thick cover...

#50 ·
I have seen differences in appearance, drive, and temperament. I know that I have not seen enough to really come to a valid conclusion but the variety did surprise me a bit.
Is that any different than Labs, Goldens, Chessies or any other established retriever breed?

So they "present a challenge for training?" Maybe you meant they like a challenge

after they're trained, and always take it on with a sparkle in their eye?

MG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.