I bought a started female (2 years old) CBR from Daphne Black (off this forum) a few years ago. The dog had tiny cataracts that Perdue and Cornell both said were not genetic, but because of them she could not be bred. I took her to North Dakota where she made a 3/4 mile round-trip retrieve on a wing tipped goose. She also is an excellant pheasant dog. Best $2000 I ever spent.
I paid $1,500 for a 6 week old puppy. 3 weeks later puppy got parvo and died. Grand total invested $3,400.00 and NO puppy!
Just something to think about.
Another thing to consider is if you want to hunt the dog....
Do you want to take it hunting this year, or next year?
IMHO if I got a pup tomorrow I still would not hunt it this fall.
I would think you would absolutely do this regardless of price, although as the price goes up this would be even more important. To me anyway. But I am probably one of those gluttons for punishment who will always want the puppy.
Originally Posted by sdnordahl
Starter it is. Sure I'd love a pup. Get to name it all. But the heart ache of illness would suck. Odds of it being dumber than a box of broken hammers and money spent would also suck. I have started my homework and will have to save up. Thanks for the advice.
I have just purchased a started dog about a month ago. Its like waiting for christmas morning all over again, waiting til I can bring my buddy home!!