RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Alright you pesky new kids. Wanna know why The RTF is COOL? Wanna Know Why We Are Fam

13K views 60 replies 26 participants last post by  HiRollerlabs 
#1 ·
Alright you pesky new kids. Wanna know why The RTF is COOL? Wanna Know Why We Are Family? I Gots a Fricken story for ya all!

Last year a retriever club had to cancel a hunt test. It happens every year to any given club. It sucks. So this particular retriever club, in an effort to be responsible and let everyone know told it here on the RTF. And then, led by one individual and then pounced upon by many were totally run over by the RTF bus. It so was lame. I think even another thread was started in support of the club.
Well, I have chaired a few hunt tests. Both club tests and licensed events. More than once. And I have had to cancel events. It sucks. More work goes into calling off an event than putting one on. So, I scent a message to the club and told them next year if they send me the info and a logo I would set them up with some maple syrup of mine to use as judges gifts or raffle stuff. Well this year was next year last year. And promises are made to be kept. Not only did the club contact send the info but also purchased some for their personal private self. The Pure Vermont Maple Syrup was shipped and the Hunt test went on and people entered. Life was good.

Fast forward to tonight. Home from work, Dogs feed, bier in hand check front stoop. Huge box! The feller who was my contact at the retriever club works at
Starline Inc.
“Makers Of The Finest Handgun Brass”
http://www.starlinebrass.com
and in the huge box were (I have not actually counted) A stack of cool T-Shirts. A Stack of Hats. And a Stack of Hoodies, Nice ones!!!
All from Starline Brass. Just in time for my clubs NAHRA field-test this coming weekend on Kate Simonds front lawn in Stowe, Vermont. Plopped upon the raffle table they will be!!!

A very public THANK YOU
to Starline Brass and to David Wolfe!!!
This Kids….. is why the RTF is cool!

It ain’t about who is able to type the fastest.
It ain’t about who is able to reply to every thread.

It is real people doing things for real people. The RTF is not a faceless forum like so many others. It is as it always was a group of retriever geeks standing around the tailgate of a pickup truck after an event. Talking to each other, having a bier.

Ken Bora

See less See more
#2 ·
Many good things come from the rtf family. I got a rescue dog to Mew Mexico via the NAFC and got boarding while the trial was being run from a wonderful lady in CA. The dog has thrived with the new owner and many thanks to those who silently stepped up to offer the legs of the transport and boarding so the folks running could concentrate on the competition. Lots of good comes from a broad resource which can be like making a phone call to a bunch of friends.

#4 ·
Ken...you spelled bier rong. Under the bus ugo:)
I still have a bottle of your Maple Syrup won at the Lake Champlain raffle about ten years back. It sits on a shelf in the kennel along with many other bottles found along the way from across the country.
Nice post. There are some great folks in our retriever community for sure.
Mike Berube

#6 ·
Ken yes I agree many good things come from RTF and many good things happens b/c of RTF. Take for example OK tornado. I would not have known all about where to give. Someone posted the site and done like many others on the forum. I think this is the greatest venue for spreading the word about any type of event or catastrophe. Love the RTF!!!:) Thanks Ken for posting. ps. Don't care if you spelt beer wrong. I understood. Take care you all!!!

#8 ·
It's time for Amnesty. Place is kind of boring with the old brothers and sisters banned from the dinner table.

#10 ·
I'm new to this and wasn't here for the "glory days" of the past. What I do know is that it is a great resource for those trying to learn. I have even had the pleasure of speaking to the head janitor on the phone. I found the site 1 year before I got my 1st pup. Before finding this, I thought a lab was a lab... I had no idea about health certs, pedigrees or the dog games. I just wanted a dog to get a duck for me in the unlikely event that I hit one.

After doing my homework on this site, I ended up with a well bred lab, sent him to a trainer for several months and now I plan to enter AKC hunt tests with him. We work as team every day. That was not the plan 2 years ago.

Thanks to all of the RTF family for all of your help.

#16 ·
Alright you pesky new kids. Wanna know why The RTF is COOL? Wanna Know Why We Are Family?
Fast forward to tonight. Home from work, Dogs feed, bier in hand check front stoop. Huge box! The feller who was my contact at the retriever club works at
Starline Inc.
“Makers Of The Finest Handgun Brass”
http://www.starlinebrass.com

A very public THANK YOU
to Starline Brass and to David Wolfe!!!

I am a newbie! But here's what's really awesome. I am a lucky newbie that gets to train with David Wolfe. There is a great training group here and these guys put in a lot of work to train and to help teach train. I can't tell you how fortunate I am to get to be around this group. Kevin Polley, Dave, Greg, these guys are great. And it's cool to see a post like this where the help reaches out there like this. Pretty cool!

#22 ·
I may not be a new kid, but you don't see much of me because I never really have anything worthy to add to many conversations. I will say I do miss some of the fun back and forth from awhile ago. Ken is one of the funniest people here, and is one of the people that makes this place worth coming back every so often to see what's going on. I think amnesty would be great.

#24 ·
What about when the shells get throw on the floor? The keep the floor from getting slippery when someone spills the beer. Safety first

#26 ·
Sharon Potter.....All the shells of former "nuts" have to do is talk to the the head peanut. If they won't do that, then I guess they don't want to come back.
I think it depends on the type of conversation last had.
I think pride and last word itis can be a plague.
and I do not think it is all one sided.
but "WE" in this goofy game we have are more often than not the type who will cut off noses to spite faces.
and not pick up the phone. And now, as we all have the phone in the pocket will do...
AND I KNOW YOU ALL HAVE..
when ya have that awkward call to make.... send a text!!!

Well, not to speak for Happy,
or any of the other Drarfs.
I think what he may be thinking of is a simple janitor mouse click.
like sending a text instead of making an awkward call.

And like that Uncle who just got out of re-hab that we all have that comes to Thanksgiving dinner.
Nobody Shouts "HEY YOUR OUTA RE-HAB" but just carries on with pass the taters Fred, like nothing ever happend.
Thats how my family keeps the fun in dysfunctional.

#30 ·
Amnesty may not be the right term, then. If blanket forgiveness/amnesty is given, what makes the forgiven play by the house rules? ;)

I miss most of the banned as well, but I don't miss some of the arrogant rudeness and condescending way some of them acted. If a clean slate is wanted, they should have to at least recognize that they didn't play by the rules before and will try to do better this time around,and that requires some small level of dialog. I don't think that's unfair, given the resource this forum is...and I'm not talking about just posts, I'm talking about the business garnered from participation (dogs/pups sold, training clients gained, etc.)...which they all had. Respect is a two way street. :)

#33 ·
Amnesty may not be the right term, then.
No, I am quite certain that if Happy had of meant grovel, or the like, he would have used that term. Instead, he specifically used the word "Amnesty." Again, this is about olive branches and forgiveness. Your intent is not one of that so really you are in disagreement with an amnesty program. The program you reference is about "Paying." And perhaps that has already been done by the banning to begin with. ie: the business garnered you mentioned (although I don't think many of them relied on rtf to generate business). And yes, they certainly would have the opportunity to mess up their amnesty. But walking on egg shells shouldn't be necessary, either.

but I don't miss some of the arrogant rudeness and condescending way some of them acted.
And, we have this anyway. Even without the banned. Look at some of the current participants, who tell "oldsters" to "Kiss my Ass." Or the questioning of abilities. And the like. Really? really? How is that being anything like a Peanut? It doesn't matter if one says, "Oh, I was only kidding" later. We all know they were not kidding.

Things are not always as they seem. Amnesty gets around male or female, attempts at conversations that never happen, etc. Throwing friends under the bus, etc.

And you're right,
Respect is a two way street.
It has to be practiced by all, along with being a peanut.

Sometimes people just need to let go of the negative. The Universe takes care of the other piddly stuff.

Kind regards-

#34 ·
I forgot what you did? What was it, exactly? :D

#32 ·
The meaning of Amnesty isn't ask for forgiveness.

#39 ·
90% of the time the issues have nothing to do with the janitor. I think that's why people don't see a need to make apologies to someone who had nothing to do with what is usually an argument or name calling. Silly concept to have to apologize to someone for no reason?

#41 ·
90% of the time the issues have nothing to do with the janitor. I think that's why people don't see a need to make apologies to someone who had nothing to do with what is usually an argument or name calling. Silly concept to have to apologize to someone for no reason?
Let's look at this another way: A few guys get into a fight in their "regular" bar that they've gone to for years. This happens a few times, and finally the owner of said bar tells the guys not to come back. Who should they talk to if they want to go back to that bar? Not each other or the other patrons.

#40 ·
We can debate definitions until the cows come home. The bottom line is that to give blanket amnesty without any dialog is to affirm the negative behavior that caused the problems in the first place.

I've seen plenty of those "instant expert" posts. I prefer to ignore them....they're pretty obvious and often done just for the attention...if ignored, they go away. And for those who do train and compete...there is always somebody higher on the food chain, so arrogance gains nothing, and in fact, loses respect. I've learned from experience here that there are people who have a tremendous amount of knowledge to share, and I will learn as much as I can from them....but I've also been on the receiving end of some pretty ugly behavior, behind the scenes of course...and while I still have great respect for their knowledge and ability, I have to separate that from the personality behind it. Separate the grain from the chaff, so to speak.

Anyway, it will all work out the way it's supposed to...whichever way that goes. ;)

#43 ·
I've seen plenty of those "instant expert" posts. I prefer to ignore them....they're pretty obvious and often done just for the attention...if ignored, they go away. .....
Separate the grain from the chaff, so to speak.
;)
Unfortunately it's not that easy. While you may know who to ignore, new people who genuinely are seeking sound advice don't. And dogs are harmed because of it.

#49 ·
Sharon, I appreciate your intentions, but forgive me if i say that sounds like a recipe for mayhem! I can see it now, every time person X makes a post, person Y and all his cronies report that post as offensive. You think they wouldn't? Oops, now you have probably given some of them the idea! I would not want to be one of the mods if they have to chase down every so called offender. Let's just keep using our ignore option to avoid those that we know are going to pi** us off!;)

#50 ·
just for the sake of discussion for those that want amnesty, what do you suggest happen to the banned members that went on to harrass the janitor at home or continued to berate him on other forums and social networks

#53 ·
no gossiping...but Stan banned a person from his website, when that person was using profanity toward the janitor after being warned that that behavior would not be tolerated on his alternative Potus site

the other incident led to the big push of asking people to use their names and a two step process of signing up on the RTF after the person got a hold pf the janitor's home number and was leaving NSFW messages...Chris brought it to everyone's attention here on the RTF about someone crossing a huge line

#54 ·
Definition of a moderator in the electronic arena: a person who monitors the conversations in an on-line chatroom for bad language, inappropriate content, etc

Moderators
The moderators (short singular form: "mod") are users (or employees) of the forum who are granted access to the posts and threads of all members for the purpose of moderating discussion (similar to arbitration) and also keeping the forum clean (neutralizing spam and spambots etc.).[12] Moderators also answer users' concerns about the forum, general questions, as well as respond to specific complaints. Common privileges of moderators include: deleting, merging, moving, and splitting of posts and threads, locking, renaming, stickying of threads, banning, suspending, unsuspending, unbanning, warning the members, or adding, editing, removing the polls of threads.[13] "Junior Modding", "Backseat Modding", or "Forum copping" can refer negatively to the behavior of ordinary users who take a moderator-like tone in criticizing other members.
Essentially, it is the duty of the moderator to manage the day-to-day affairs of a forum or board as it applies to the stream of user contributions and interactions. The relative effectiveness of this user management directly impacts the quality of a forum in general, its appeal, and its usefulness as a community of interrelated users. From Wikipedia

IMO Definitely, our moderators are doing their job (a good one too) and we should be thanking them, not criticizing. It is not easy trying to do this job. Just remember, we all like this forum very much and in order to keep it operating smoothly; it takes the moderators to make things run for the betterment of all. IMHO

#56 ·
Wow. I just almost responded to this thread.

What was I thinking???

:shock:

Whew~that was close!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.