The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retriever and Shed antlers

I cut the antlers that I had laying around in to section that I thought the dog could handle, then I boiled them to make sure I killed any bugs or bacteria that could possibly be in them. My dog loves them, she leaves all other toys alone.
    Rich Yakab

"If a mistake is made at least you know someone is trying"
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication!

Dixie Runs Bootleggin' White Lightning "Remi" 9/23/12

Much better than other chew items, we have been using them for a year now, nice shiney teeth and they last along time... I have never boiled or cleaned them just cut them off the skull and give them to them..

I had slab fractures of the teeth when I allowed the dogs to chew on them. Needless to say, the dogs are not allowed to chew on them any longer.

I've never heard of them being used as treats, but it makes since because they love steal my scull mounts when I'm processing them.

I let my dog chew on older ones, that have been laying around awhile. Sometimes, she finds her own. They are not as hard as fresh off the deer.

I wouldn't let her eat them when she was a puppy, there are a lot of minerals in them, I didn't think she needed the extra calcium.
    Paula

Dixie's Southern Comfort IV, MH

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is it will not be needed until they try to take it.” - Thomas Jefferson

2013-08-18_17-36-31_389.jpg
    Blake- Shed dog/Duck assassin (hopefully)

My pup loves his shed antlers! They last so much longer than bones or rawhide. I just took up shed hunting this year! Even if you don't go shed hunting go buy them. they may seem expensive but they last five to ten times longer Than the alternative!
    My pup-Kanyon's Rambo With A Cause (Rambo)
    And my 2 year old- Ollie (my lab husky mix, she is a pheasant tracking machine! And the reason I started bird hunting!)

Hometown: Rural Ames, IA. College: Maryville, MO

So if you let your pup chew on them, how do you transition to shed hunting? You don't let the pup chew on birds... how is he to know the difference between retrieving sheds and chew toys? Does it just come natural (ie when you are hunting vs at home in front of the tv?)? Getting my first full-blood lab within the year, just trying to be prepared. Thanks!
    Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

My girl loves sheds. I take them away when she knaws them down to nubs and give her another. I find them all the time so I don't have to pay for any.