RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Retriever and Shed antlers

4K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  jackh 
#1 ·
Anybody let their dog chew on shed antlers?? I have come to notice that my dog loves shed antlers and I figured it might not be a bad idea to let him have them because he could become a multipurpose dog. Heck he is a natural shed dog already. He loves um.

#8 ·
Some folks train their labs to find sheds.

#11 ·
I cut the antlers that I had laying around in to section that I thought the dog could handle, then I boiled them to make sure I killed any bugs or bacteria that could possibly be in them. My dog loves them, she leaves all other toys alone.

#13 ·
I had slab fractures of the teeth when I allowed the dogs to chew on them. Needless to say, the dogs are not allowed to chew on them any longer.

#15 ·
I let my dog chew on older ones, that have been laying around awhile. Sometimes, she finds her own. They are not as hard as fresh off the deer.

I wouldn't let her eat them when she was a puppy, there are a lot of minerals in them, I didn't think she needed the extra calcium.

#17 ·
My pup loves his shed antlers! They last so much longer than bones or rawhide. I just took up shed hunting this year! Even if you don't go shed hunting go buy them. they may seem expensive but they last five to ten times longer Than the alternative!

#18 ·
So if you let your pup chew on them, how do you transition to shed hunting? You don't let the pup chew on birds... how is he to know the difference between retrieving sheds and chew toys? Does it just come natural (ie when you are hunting vs at home in front of the tv?)? Getting my first full-blood lab within the year, just trying to be prepared. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.