The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Jim Duffy - July 15, 1950 - January 05, 2014

Default Jim Duffy - July 15, 1950 - January 05, 2014

A guy who will be greatly missed. Good friend, good memories.

http://www.aberdeenfuneralhome.com/o.../james-r-duffy

Our condolences to the family.
    Paul, Jennifer & Ashley

Jim was a great friend, mentor and dog man. You can find his picture in many photos working nationals. He was one of the first people I met in this game. Ran a chocolate under him in the derby at Watopa and placed. What a thrill to be standing next to Lynne DeBose and Judy Powers as the first two placements, and i was the third. Jim tutored me in judging field trials, running and training dogs. He helped me problem solve some issues on a couple of dogs I have. We judged a derby qualifying together at Blackhawk.. Had such a great time. Set up nice tests, laughed, saw some nice dog work. I talked to him weekly for many years. He went to K2 a couple of years ago. He left from the Mid Illinois field trial where he and I judged the open together. I quoted something back to him at that trial that he had taught me when we came to a disagreement. He stopped, and started to laugh. He also was trying to get my goat - one of his specialties. He started calling my Libby dog a red bone. She is a bit houndy looking. So instead, I started calling her red bone. After K2, he then took off for South Dakota. I'll miss my friend and mentor. Good times. Guns up, dog to the line, Duff!
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Condolences to the family . A good dog man.
    Earl Dillow

We've lost one of the best. Prayers for the family.
    Dennis
    Revilo Tru Betrlate Than Never (AKC & CKC QAA) 1/17/96 - 6/22/09
    High Voltage Power Ranger MH

Like Susan Bledsoe, I have a 'the day I met Jim Duffy' story. It was in February '08, when he and Buck Mann judged the Qualifying at the Snowbird Spring Trial.
    A well-intentioned friend tried to get me to scratch, telling me she heard the fella judging with Buck hated women and Goldens. I had already volunteered to help at the trial so I decided I might as well tough it out.
    By the time the Qual was over I was comfortable enough with the Monster from Minnesota to tell him about my friend's advice.
    His reply? "I hate women? Hell, I married two of them." Or was it three? I can't remember.
    If he hated Goldens, he hid that, too. Hoss got a J.A.M. in the Qualifying and his female handler was ecstatic. I had also managed to invite myself to Jim's training group and became a semi-regular.
    Duffy was a sawed off cynical hard nosed heavy drinkin' former pipe fitter who turned the air blue and my face red with his expletives. He trained his own dogs with an iron hand and I should have driven him over the edge with my slow talking, slow thinking, wussy cookie training and plethora of requests to throw another bird or answer another training question. But he was never anything but kind, patient and respectful to me, Hoss and Mosby.
    Duffy told me one time I had the biggest heart of anybody he knew. I don't know about that. But I do know it has been missing a good sized chunk since I heard the news Sunday night.
    Duff, do me a favor and rub Hoss's ears for me and save a few places in your cooler for my Coke Zeroes. We'll see you again. I'm counting on it.
    No one can have the part of me I give to my dogs.
    Guy de la Valdene
    For a Handful of Feathers

Sounds like the sport has lost a good man...... wish I had met him. Condolences to family and friends.

Well it looks like this is going to be a "tell Duffy stories" thread, so here goes. I was a member of the game stewards committee at the National Am in 2009. Duffy and Dave Furin were the CO-Chairs for us. They asked me to plant the water blind in I think the seventh series. The bird was infront of a small tepee shaped brush pile. Duffy had a poker face, half the time you couldn't tell if he was serious or giving you the once over. His instructions to me were "the wings must be tucked in, the bird belly down and the head must be pointed north!" Away he went. One dog ran over the bird through the brush pile, stopped came back through the brush pile and retrieved the bird. The next day I was working the line. Duffy came over with lunches and we shot the breeze for a few minutes, then he started to leave. He STOPPED looked at me and said "I saw that dog run through the brush pile yesterday, you had the head pointing south didn't you." And away he went!
    Dennis
    Revilo Tru Betrlate Than Never (AKC & CKC QAA) 1/17/96 - 6/22/09
    High Voltage Power Ranger MH