The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 45 of 226 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2013 GDG

Quote Originally Posted by rboudet View Post
    You are playing your ex OC, at home, and Nick Saban is the coach, and they couldn't get motivated? I think there may be other issues in Tuscalousa (missed spelled for the benifit of Rookie Trainer dude). D just doesnt look as fast as years before and the O line needs to get it together.
    So the motivation would have been to outscore, say, the U, ToSU and Free Shoes U and get up into the 60s or 70s for the sake of running it up on a cupcake? Otherwise, even in "playing your ex-OC at home," what would there be to get the No. 1 team fired up about Colorado State?

Got got no crimson-colored glasses on, either, when it comes to 'Bama's ease of schedule, there are more cupcakes on the 'Bama baking rack, but I'm also pretty happy for McElwain, the ex-OC, having his team hang in there against Alabama - because it really reflected a "little Alabama," which McElwain's explicitly trying to build, going toe-to-toe with the real thing.

Also, Saban only played about 46 defensive backs - for the experience - so I don't think he was terribly demoralized about the outcome, either. Every outcome has something positive in it for Saban, so long as you use it to keep playing and getting better all the way to the end. Think he's managed to do that pretty doggone well the last six years - especially three of the last four - and soon to be four of the five, unless you know more about those "other issues" in Tusca-not-used-to-losing (misspelled for emphasis) that might derail a three-peat.

MG

Once again I can never follow your post. He's playing all those DB trying to find something that works not to get them playing time. Keep on believing. 66 rushing yards against CO State! That could be one issue. Don't ya think?

Again Im not saying throw in the towel they are done. It's still Ala. with a very good team that "could" do it again. But if you don't see problems in SEC play with that OL, you need to take the crimson glasses off. And yes there is NO reason it should have took them until late in the 4th to put the game away. I bet St. Saban would dissagree with you about them not having any motivation to play that game.

Follow this: In Saban we trust. Anything else, I don't fret over, question, or try to find "motivation" for.

But. "Problems in SEC play" when 'Bama's got basically a one-game SEC schedule left (which would, basically, be against You Whos)?

Well, maybe a one-and-a-half game SEC schedule, but let's see how a rested and revived Ole Miss fares against them this week before declaring the LSU showdown dead ahead. Could be a good test, but whether 'Bama wins by one point or 41 won't matter, so long as they keep winning...and getting better. History would give you good odds on both under Saban.

MG

LSU does have one thing this season that it hasn't had in a few seasons, it's called the "forward pass". Add a quality RB and D and watch out! If we beat the Dawgs this weekend, I think they will run da table! Lovin' it as my two teams(NCAA & NFL) are undefeated so far!
    Last edited by Franco; 09-23-2013 at 11:31 AM.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

the Book of Manning on ESPN...a must watch for ALL football fans...what a family
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    the Book of Manning on ESPN...a must watch for ALL football fans...what a family
    Are they going to come up with a book of Mathews or Geathers?

More than one prominent NFL family regards,
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I thought it was awesome TV! Loved all the old footage of Archie playing for Ole Miss. Especially, when he played with a cast on his broken left arm. I remember that Ole Miss vs Bama game like it was yesterday. There was no doubt in my mind that the Saints would draft him if they had the opportunity. He later lamented that he wanted to play for Landry or Shula. At one point, John Mecom made him the highest paid player in the NFL at $365,000. a year! What was missing was the fact that he was NFL League Co-MVP in 1979.In the draft, Plunkett went 1st to the Boston Patriots, Archie went second, anyone remember who went 3rd in that draft? Hint; it was another QB that had a solid career with the Oilers.
    Last edited by Franco; 09-26-2013 at 01:06 PM.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Are they going to come up with a book of Mathews or Geathers?

More than one prominent NFL family regards,
    I'm not a Manning guy. I grew up rooting for my terrible Falcons to beat Archie's terrible Saints, but everyone respected and admired how that guy played. I never cared much for Peyton although I'm pulling for him more now toward the end of his career. Eli seems like a good guy.

Having said that, I don't think there is a family of players that can compare to the Mannings. We've had a couple of the Geathers at my alma mater UGA and Jumpy was with the Falcons briefly so I'm familiar with their success and the Mathews family is pretty remarkable too, but the Manning stuff is mind boggling in it's improbability:

Archie (Dad): 2nd overall pick in the draft, 15 year starter, Pro Bowl QB
    Peyton (Son): 1st overall pick in the draft, Super Bowl champion QB, Super Bowl MVP, Hall of Fame shoe in
    Eli (Son): 1st overall pick in the draft, 2 time Super Bowl champion QB, Super Bowl MVP

Add to that that Archie seems like a genuinely great guy who didn't try to mold his sons into QB's (like Marinovich) and didn't meddle with their coaches and tries to stay in the background and he is still married to his college sweetheart (a rarity in society but even more in pro sports) and it really is amazing. The statistical improbability of all of that is just staggering...between Archie and his 2 sons who were healthy enough for the draft there was only 1 player ever selected before any of them. Let that sink in for a minute. What are the odds of having your son be the Super Bowl MVP QB? What are the odds of 2 of your sons (the only 2 in the NFL) being Super Bowl MVP QB's? Incalculable IMO.

I never saw Archie play college ball. My earliest memories were of him as a Saint. Watching those Ole Miss clips, he reminded me of Johnny Manziel with all of the insane (normally inadvisable) scrambling, reversing field, giving ground and then completing passes. He was a hell of a QB, but Aint's were terrible.
    Last edited by HuntinDawg; 09-26-2013 at 12:37 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Don't forget that Peyton and Archie have both been NFL League MVP's with Peyton winning it 4 times and well on his way to a 5th! Archie is a Sugar Bowl MVP and Eli a Cotton Bowl MVP. Peyton would have won the Heisman had the Vols beaten Florida his Senior year. I remember Jumpy Geathers, he was drafted by Bum Phillips when he coached the Saints. Then, he was shipped off to the Redskins after a couple of seasons.
    Last edited by Franco; 09-26-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I remember Jumpy Geathers, he was drafted by Bum Phillips when he coached the Saints. Then, he was shipped off to the Redskins after a couple of seasons.
    Just going from memory, Jumpy and his brother Robert both played in the NFL with Jumpy having the better career by far. Jumpy's "forklift" move was something to see. Robert's sons Robert Jr. (UGA/Bengals), and Clifton (SC/can't remember NFL team), Kwame (UGA/can't remember which pro team - rookie) have all gone to the NFL. Robert Jr. in particular (of the 2nd generation) has had a long NFL career. I remember when he left UGA early I thought he was making a mistake. He only really started coming on strong at the end of his junior season and I thought he needed to stay for his senior season. He probably would have been drafted higher if he did, but he has had a very nice career. That is a bunch of Geathers' in the NFL but the degree of success the Mannings have achieved eclipses it easily IMO. Kwame Geathers had a really disappointing junior year (too heavy, out of shape, seemed to be coasting toward the NFL) at UGA but hopefully he'll have a nice NFL career. All of the younger Geathers boys have bolted early for the NFL. It was probably a mistake for Clifton, I'm not sure he is still in the NFL.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy