The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 109 of 226 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159209 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 2252

Thread: College Football 2013 GDG

I hate to act so out of it, and perhaps I am, and no offence to those guys, but I don't consider VA Tech and TCU elite programs. Sure in 2008 you wouldn't have expected USC to fall off the face of the earth, but no matter how bad they are, it would still be a game to watch if you scheduled them against LSU, same with Michigan or Ohio State. In general I love keeping systems segregated until that one big game to decide it all, like the old National League versus American League in the World Series, or AFL versus NFL in the Super Bowl. When they were completely separate they evolved into completely different styles of play, and it was fun to speculate which system would dominate when they were finally pitted against each other. The difference is in order to get to that one special game or series you had to run the gauntlet of a playoff-pennant system.

College football pits two teams together in a much more arbitrary way. Alabama has absolutely dominated everyone over the recent past, even more so than they did in the 60's. The question for us outside the Southeast US is, is the whole SE Conference that dominant or is their reputation skewed because Alabama happens to be in their conference? No doubt there are a lot of very perennially good teams in the SE, but we feel the same about the PAC 12. What happens is one good team beats another, or a favored team relaxes against a lesser opponent and loses, and are then completely out of contention. If you are not going to have a real 16 team playoff system, I would personally prefer the old AP and Coaches poll for picking a National Champion. I think the BCS is just as arbitrary, yet with the trophy and everything it gives itself a credibility it doesn't deserve.

John
    Last edited by John Robinson; 11-12-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    is the whole SE Conference that dominant
    or is their reputation skewed because Alabama happens to be in their conference.
    You tell me;

(BCS National Championship Game)
    Records by conference

Conference Wins Losses Winning Teams Losing Teams
    SEC 9 1** Alabama (3), Florida (2), LSU (2), Tennessee, Auburn LSU** vs(Alabama)
    Big 12 2 5 Oklahoma, Texas Oklahoma (3), Nebraska*, Texas
    ACC 1 2 Florida State Florida State (2)
    Big East 1 2 Miami (FL)* Miami (FL)*, Virginia Tech*
    Big Ten 1 2 Ohio State Ohio State (2)
    Pac-12 1† 2 USC Oregon, USC
    Independent 1 None Notre Dame

BCS Bowl Appearances

Conference Appearances W L Pct School(s)
    SEC 25 17 8 .680 7 Florida (5–2)
    LSU (4–1)
    Alabama (3–2)
    Georgia (2–1)
    Auburn (2–0)
    Tennessee (1–1)
    Arkansas (0–1)
    Last edited by Dustin D; 11-12-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Wow, that shut me up.

Wow, that shut me up.
    Well John if you could just throw Alabama into the Pac10, the Pac10 would have 5 AP Championship trophy's to 4 the SEC would have over the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    Well John if you could just throw Alabama into the Pac10, the Pac10 would have 5 AP Championship trophy's to 4 the SEC would have over the last decade.
    I'm still a big believer in the Pac 10, don't like the Pac 12 idea. In the same vein it seems like the SEC has expanded beyond their traditional boundaries, but looking at that chart there is no denying the SEC has dominated over the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    i am very pleased you are back schaeffer!
    Well thanks. I had to lick my wounds after the Ducks loss and it took me a while to come up with an excuse why they lost to Stanford.

It had nothing to do with Stanfords' lines-- it was poor officiating and an undisclosed injury to the Duck's quarterback.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Way too easy.....it was my Longhorns..they got Throttled by Ole Miss 44-23..probably the best kick in the pants they got this year, because they have won six straight since that drubbing
    Sorry Bon, but I was talking about the SEC playing "good" non-conference teams.

has dominated over the last decade.
    Everything has that temporary ring to it . I never watched other FB as we had the Rose Bowl, the Grand Daddy of them all which matched the little 10 & the PAC whatever it was at the time. As I think this through I believe a little jealousy created the BCS because the SEC folks wanted to play in Pasadena .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Missouri an SEC step child beats Bama in the SEC championship game this year.
    Just for the record I have very fine dogs. Some of the best in the whole country....or at least on my own block anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Everything has that temporary ring to it . I never watched other FB as we had the Rose Bowl, the Grand Daddy of them all which matched the little 10 & the PAC whatever it was at the time. As I think this through I believe a little jealousy created the BCS because the SEC folks wanted to play in Pasadena .
    I'm with you Marvin, I love it when Keith Jackson says "The Granddaddy of Them All" before a good old Rosebowl. I became a fan when it was the Pac 8, Pac 10 took some getting used to. Now it's the Pac 12, pretty soon we'll annex Colorado or Iowa and make a Pac 20. Back then you had The Alabama Crimson Tide, Ohio State Buckeyes, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, occasionally Penn State, USC, UCLA, Stanford and Washington as the big teams. Washington State and Oregon were laughingstocks. Heck Oregon State was considered a spoiler and much better than Oregon, unless you were talking about track. The coaches I grew up with were the great Don James, witty John McKay, John Robinson, (my uncle, just kidding), Dee Andros and Tommy Prothro. In the east we fought against and admired the crazy Woody Hayes, Bo Shembechler, Bear Bryant, Joe Paterno, Tom Osborne and Bud Wilkenson.