The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 111 of 226 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 2252

Thread: College Football 2013 GDG

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    My wife got her first degree at Arkansas when Lou Holtz was coaching there. She couldn't believe how big a deal football was there, but got in the spirit big time. Then came the National championship game against their arch rivals at the time, the Texas longhorns. She was heartbroken when they lost by a point on a two point conversion. Nixon flew in for that game. Then she moved to Oregon State to get her Engineering degree. The Great Pumpkin was coach and the team sucked. What a contrast to Arkansas.
    I only remember Frank Broyles at AR .

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    Or Bear Bryants. Or Don Jameses. Hmm, last time I saw those two names linked together in my neck of the woods, it was another visit South by the Huskies, who were on the short end of a 52-0 score when Bear called off the dogs early in the second half. I'm sure you know James was Saban's college coach at Kent State and credited as having the biggest influence on Saban as a coach.

MG
    I was not a James fan - in fact the only statue @ Husky stadium is Jim Owens - I actually follow the rare exploits of SD School of Mines in concrete canoe technology .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I only remember Frank Broyles at AR .

I was not a James fan - in fact the only statue @ Husky stadium is Jim Owens - I actually follow the rare exploits of SD School of Mines in concrete canoe technology .
    I stand corrected, it was Frank Broyles. I had forgotten about Jim Owens, he was a heck of a coach. Don James has some ties to Montana, at least they talk about him a lot around here.

I stand corrected thats Chris Schenkel on the play by play with Bud W. on the Tex vs Ark game
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I actually follow the rare exploits of SD School of Mines in concrete canoe technology .
    You're in luck this year for wider exposure of those exploits, Marvin - specifically the offensive exchange program SDSM's got going with Bon's buddy "Boom" (Little Willy Muschamp) at Florida. Of course, continuation of that program is contingent upon, as the song says, "Little Willy...Little Willy won't go." Personally I hope Little Willy won't go anywhere for another 8-10 years.

I have to believe that like all streaks, this one will also end. I have no idea if Stanford, ASU or Oregon could beat LSU, Alabama or one of the Florida teams right now, but would sure like to see them try. I am also waiting for USC to climb back from the abyss. I am old enough and know enough about college football history to understand teams and conferences go through cycles. I don't know whether we are closer to the middle or end of the SEC up cycle, I do know that it won't last forever.

John
    First of all, no Conference, that's zero, zilch...has even ever come anywhere close to 7 in a row! So, there is NO other Conference to compare the SEC to. And though all streaks must end, you can count on SEC teams to win three out of four NC's over the next decade or two. That's because the competition within the SEC makes them better prepared to whip any challenger. Even in the heyday of the Big 10 or USC, neither played in a Conference that was loaded with the talent of the SEC. NO Conference has dominated the early rounds of the NFL Draft like the SEC has which is the testament of the superior talent.
    Last edited by Franco; 11-13-2013 at 06:32 AM.
    "Well, when I went off to college, the guys I used to hang with were pumping gas and voting Democrat. Today they're still pumping gas and voting Democrat. Guess the Democrats didn't do much for them." Charles Barkley

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    Here's the problem with scheduling OOC games. You have to schedule them years (Sometimes many years.) in advance. When you do that, what looks like an elite game @ that time, might not pan out @ the time it's played. Take the gumps this year with VA Tech & LSU with TCU. When they were scheduled, they were must see games.
    Good point. Heck, we scheduled Notre Dame last year when they were #1, and less than 6 weeks later we beat them 42-14.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

I hate to act so out of it, and perhaps I am, and no offence to those guys, but I don't consider VA Tech and TCU elite programs. Sure in 2008 you wouldn't have expected USC to fall off the face of the earth, but no matter how bad they are, it would still be a game to watch if you scheduled them against LSU, same with Michigan or Ohio State.

John
    We scheduled Michigan in Dallas to open the season last year. I think it ended 41-14 Bama.

I remember in 1978 Alabama played Nebraska (opener), Missouri in Columbia, USC (I watched this one in a house full of Auburn fans and got enough of a dose of that to last a lifetime), Washington in Seattle, and Tennessee in Knoxville, and we ended up beating JoePa and Penn State 14-7 in the Sugar Bowl in the Goal Line Stand game. We split the NC that year with USC. For an example of how things change, I believe the homecoming opponent that year was Virginia Tech. For another, I remember buying a ticket to the Coliseum here to watch the Washington game on closed circuit TV. That's right: Alabama-Washington was not widely available on TV that day.

Who would be crazy enough to play a schedule like that today? And even if someone would step up to the plate, would the TV contracts allow it?

To your other point, in the current BCS run, 4 different SEC teams have won it all. This is not like the old (new?) Big 10 when it was Michigan and OSU and nobody else. Query whether you think the BCS game result would have been much different last year if Georgia had played ND.
    Last edited by RookieTrainer; 11-13-2013 at 07:25 AM.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by BrettG View Post
    I would love to see an Alabama/Stanford match up. 2 power type teams butting heads would be a good game to watch.
    I was hoping to see Baylor leapfrog ohio state but SOS is holding them back, just like it has held ohio out of the top spots. This year seems to be a good year to evaluate what a true playoff would look like. If it were a 4 team and season ends with records like they are, does Baylor get the nod over Stanford? Would hate it for Stanford. And if Baylor streaks out would hate to see them left out also.
    Baylor will jump tOSU after we whip OSU in Stoolwater. We may jump Stanford after we spank Tech this weekend. We will wrap up the regular season with a Big 12 championship with a home game blowout win against Texas. This will be the last game ever played at The Case before we open our new $300m stadium next year.

It's meant to be. What sucks is if we don't make it to the NC we'll get the non AQ team (Fresno St, UCF, N Illinois) in the Fiesta Bowl.

Sic Em

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    First of all, no Conference, that's zero, zilch...has even ever come anywhere close to 7 in a row! So, there is NO other Conference to compare the SEC to. And though all streaks must end, you can count on SEC teams to win three out of four NC's over the next decade or two. That's because the competition within the SEC makes them better prepared to whip any challenger. Even in the heyday of the Big 10 or USC, neither played in a Conference that was loaded with the talent of the SEC. NO Conference has dominated the early rounds of the NFL Draft like the SEC has which is the testament of the superior talent.
    Franco you are such an arrogant homer, how about a little humility, jeeze...