The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 123 of 226 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133173223 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 2252

Thread: College Football 2013 GDG

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Unlike the NFL, the NCAA is about the body of work for the entire season. However, I would prefer an 8 team playoff system for College just as long as the top teams are picked and politics are kept to a minimum. Bama vs the Noles should be a great BCS Championship game! Two big, fast and talented squads going after one another playing physical smash-mouth style Football.
    But why? Why shouldn't it be about finding the best team at the end of the season? The body of work argument is what leads to an incentive for dominant teams to schedule patsies all year long. I think conference champions should compete against one another at the end of the year in a 16 team playoff system.

This all goes back to the strength of conference and the caliber of teams one must face each week within conference, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Thanks for a second there I thought you were referring to Coach John Robinson, but I guess you mean me. I'm liking this Ed Orgeron guy, and the fact he's a Cajun from Louisiana might make Jacob and Franco like my Trojans better. I don't know how good a recruiter he is, but he's obviously a good coach who get the most out of his players. You already know how I felt about Lane Kiffen.

Part of me was hoping Stanford could make a run for the BCS, but with two losses that hope is done. Now I have to look toward Oregon, but I'm skeptical about their ability to compete against Alabama with that gimmick offense. I would hate to see a non SEC Conference get embarrassed the way Notre Dame did last year. I thought Stanford style of play would have a better chance against the SEC. The problem with not having a playoff system is by needing a perfect season just to get in the game, a team that improves dramatically over the season, and is arguably playing as good as anyone at the end of the season, can't get in due to a loss against a weakling early on.
    Yea, but, competitiveness will drop off some when/if a bigger playoff schedule is incorporated.

KNOWING you can lose a game or 3 maybe, will indeed take some of the heat away from games
    such as Oregon vs Stanford, Bama vs LSU etc etc.

Sort of like the NFL when you lose games to another Division.
    So what, it makes no difference when it comes to the play-offs, well sort of.

College football is THIS fiercely competitive b/c you have to play your best every single Saturday,
    or face the consequences....Chicken Bowl.

/

I am ok with a 4 team playoff...if you go past that you would have to start the playoffs in Nov....and in reality I dont see any scenario where the # 8 team in the country deserves a shot at the title
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin D View Post
    Yea, but, competitiveness will drop off some when/if a bigger playoff schedule is incorporated.

KNOWING you can lose a game or 3 maybe, will indeed take some of the heat away from games
    such as Oregon vs Stanford, Bama vs LSU etc etc.

Sort of like the NFL when you lose games to another Division.
    So what, it makes no difference when it comes to the play-offs, well sort of.

College football is THIS fiercely competitive b/c you have to play your best every single Saturday,
    or face the consequences....Chicken Bowl.

/
    I get that, but I don't think teams would relax either way.

Ok let me change the subject. How do you guys feel about all the Bowl games now. Chicken Bowl would be an upgrade over many of these games that seem to start at the beginning of December. There are so many obscure bowls named after a myriad of sponsors pitting almost any team with a .500 record against somebody else equally bad. Watching post season college football used to be special, now even the Orange, Peach, Cotton and Rose Bowl have cheap sponsor names attached. Ok rant over...

Condolences to y'all 'Who fans (and all SEC fans) on the passing of Joe Dean - the LSU AD who brought Saban south. Joe's probably best remembered as a basketball announcer for his mellifluous call of "Straaang music!" when the ball swished the net. There was one game in particular when he almost went hoarse from saying it, when Pistol Pete went off for 69 points in Tuscaloosa in 1970 (47 of 'em in the second half) against the Tide to set a D1 single-game scoring record that stood for some 20 years. Final was 'Bama 106, the 'Who 104.

MG

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I am ok with a 4 team playoff...if you go past that you would have to start the playoffs in Nov....and in reality I dont see any scenario where the # 8 team in the country deserves a shot at the title
    Bon, Division I AA college football has been doing it for decades, pitting 14 conference leaders against each other in a playoff system, with a title game winner being crowned the National Champion. It works well, the cream seems to rise to the top each year and you don't hear a lot of whining about it.

Bon, Division I AA college football has been doing it for decades, pitting 14 conference leaders against each other in a playoff system, with a title game winner being crowned the National Champion. It works well, the cream seems to rise to the top each year and you don't hear a lot of whining about it.
    I don't care for the having the winners of each of the Conferences play. I'm for the best 4 or 8 teams no matter which Conference they come from. I would consider using the current seeding by the BCS that takes many factors into account when ranking teams.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

I am well aware of that, but in doing so you would eliminate many of the cross sectional rivalries...a playoff helps the weaker conferences get an automatic qualifier and eliminates all but the conference champ say in the SEC...I would much rather see the SEC runner up than the MAC Champ in a bowl game
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

wife: i love you so much honey, why do you duck hunt so much?
    college football fan: i love college football, why do the polls never pick us?

wife: you love those dogs more than you love me and the kids!
    college football fan: those voters love the sec more than they love us!

wife: don't you think you need to be more sensitive to the needs of others around you?
    college football fan: don't you feel this system isn't sensitive to the style of play and quality of teams in our region?

wife: if you don't change......i'm leaving!
    college football fan: if they don't put a playoff in place......i'm leaving!

wife: i love it......but i gotta change it!
    college football fan: i love it......but i gotta change it!

apologies to the ladies!
    Last edited by roseberry; 11-18-2013 at 02:42 PM.
    john mccallie