The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 148 of 226 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158198 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 2252

Thread: College Football 2013 GDG

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin D View Post
    What was Sabans record at Miami? They don't all win everywhere they go and he did say he learned a lot there about trying to do everything.

However, many USC fans are worried b/c Ed was a recruiting monster for USC,
    especially amoungst linemen.

I'm not saying he should have been the HC,
    but to lose him from the team will hurt them recruiting wise.
    Saban's record as a Pro Coach is probably not the best comparison. Pro game and College game are far different. Maybe a better comparison would be say a Lou Holtz at Minnesota before ND, or Pete Carrol with the Jets or Pats before Seahawks. Just saying! I don't know jack about Coach O. Seems like a pretty good motivator, but that doesn't always equate to wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Denver View Post
    Saban's record as a Pro Coach is probably not the best comparison. Pro game and College game are far different. Maybe a better comparison would be say a Lou Holtz at Minnesota before ND, or Pete Carrol with the Jets or Pats before Seahawks. Just saying! I don't know jack about Coach O. Seems like a pretty good motivator, but that doesn't always equate to wins.
    Good point... Spurrier wasn't cut out for the pro game either as evidenced by his time with the Redskins. But he sure turned the South Carolina program into a consistent winner in a short amount of time.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin D View Post
    What was Sabans record at Miami? They don't all win everywhere they go and he did say he learned a lot there about trying to do everything.

However, many USC fans are worried b/c Ed was a recruiting monster for USC,
    especially amoungst linemen.

I'm not saying he should have been the HC,
    but to lose him from the team will hurt them recruiting wise.

Just the opposite...with USC not going to a bowl game they had to solidify their coaching staff for the current recruiting class, at least their is no doubt and USC can get an early start to sign any potential kids now instead of waiting till Feb...Sarkesian was a VERY good recruiter for Pete Carroll, he knows how to recruit for USC
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Random Fast Fact;

During November,
    Alabama has not defeated an opponent that finished ranked in the Top 10
    in the BCS era.
    You must venture back to 1999 for the last time Alabama beat a team in November that finished the season ranked. That 1999 win came against 10-2 Mississippi State, a team that scraped by several unranked opponents and did not beat a ranked team.

USC might be the easiest place in the country to recruit for. Kind of shows what a jerk Kiffin was that they continually underachieved. I think Ed O is a good guy, and a good coach, but unfortunately his Ole Miss past, and being too much of a regular guy probably don't make it a good fit at USC. I think he's proved that he deserves another shot somewhere.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mjiorle View Post
    USC might be the easiest place in the country to recruit for. Kind of shows what a jerk Kiffin was that they continually underachieved.
    Mike
    You do realize they had a HUGE scholarship reduction from the ban right?
    Not much Kiffin could do with that.

And Kiffin was still touted as an excellent recruiter. They did pretty well with Ed O! And didn't they start a year as #1 with the Heisman front runner at QB, and end up in the toilet? Surely you can't attribute that to a recruiting ban. Kiffin was a phony. Can you think of another coach who was given so much without ever really proving himself? Wasn't he publicly called a liar when he got booted from Oakland?

And Kiffin was still touted as an excellent recruiter. They did pretty well with Ed O! And didn't they start a year as #1 with the Heisman front runner at QB, and end up in the toilet? Surely you can't attribute that to a recruiting ban. Kiffin was a phony. Can you think of another coach who was given so much without ever really proving himself? Wasn't he publicly called a liar when he got booted from Oakland?
    Kiffin was a pretender as a HC...he played up the family image because of his dad, but he must have been one of these guys that interviews very well, since he was able to sell himself to both Tenn and one of the great BS artists of the 20th Century in Al Davis, and also Mike Garrett at USC...Kiffin might have peaked as a position coach and an OC
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Al Davis was not very conservative, and known for taking chances (risks). Can understand his experiment, but even through all of that organizations dysfunction, they saw through the facade.

Wasn't he publicly called a liar when he got booted from Oakland?
    Previously Al Davis fired Shanahan mid year also with some of the same rhetoric - that's the same Shanahan that went on to win to SB's as HC at Denver.

I would be more inclined to look at Kiffin's overall record when his dad was not around to bail him out & it's not good. I would be surprised if he is again a HC at any major. What his loss of scholarships did was eliminate the younger backups that USC has had who could have started at most schools. They won a lot of games because of that depth.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!