The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 166 of 226 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 2252

Thread: College Football 2013 GDG

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    I think so much of that offense is predicated on spreading a team out & using speed to win. Yes, they do run between the tackles, but it takes lateral quickness to beat that scheme. Penetration is key & I think they have the DL to do just that.
    I have thought something similar, and I think LSU had some success with that earlier this season when they beat AU pretty good.

If you are going to penetrate, you better make sure that everybody penetrates and that you guess right about where to penetrate a lot. I don't think Malzahn is some kind of genius, but he certainly understands how to identify a weakness on defense and create numbers to attack it. He is also very adept at using misdirection to get defenders to take them selves out of the play.

I think you probably do well to wall off their OL IF you have the personnel to do it. I think we would have fared much better with Cody or Jesse Williams in the middle and able to hold both A gaps. Then the dive is not nearly as successful, and everything in their offense is predicated on the success of the dive. Kind of like the fullback dive out of the wishbone. If you can stop that with a "normal" personnel group it gives you many more players to chase down the other two options.

As I said earlier, you also need a couple big, physical CBs that you can simply turn loose in man coverage, leaving 8-9 defenders otherwise.

My $0.02, which is probably not worth that.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Actually the winged-T uses miss-direction to get defenders to abandon their primary responsibilities to produce running room, i.e., defenders have to stay at home - over-pursuit will get killed against the Auburn scheme. And Auburn's version requires good one-on-one tackling skills by the defense. Getting penetration can be effective but not at the expense of losing gap responsibility. UGA did a very credible job against Auburn in the 2nd half of their game. If FSU can be that good for the entire game, they can win big over Auburn. But if FSU attempts to beat the offensive linemen by penetrating around the defenders and leaving gaps, or by over-pursuit then Auburn can run it up on FSU.

Having a month to prepare is a big advantage to be effective against the Auburn winged-T versus Missouri or other SEC schools since they don't face another offense like Auburn's. LSU was fortunate to face Auburn early before they were effective in the offense. Auburn has been better each week in this offense & they have the personnel to run it effectively. Just remember that the foundation of the winged-T is to use miss-direction to gain advantage over stronger, faster defenders, so the Auburn offense can neutralize a superior FSU defense if FSU is not disciplined in their approach - something a month of seeing the winged-T in practice should provide. It should be a good game.
    David Didier, GA

FSU by 14.

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    FSU by 44.
    That would be my dream come true, SEC homer or not.

But I won't bother watching.

Granddaddy, good take on UGA stacking the Barn up in the 2d half. Think the 'Who did that for much of the game, too - or at least until the game with the Cow College was long decided. I wasn't so much astonished at their running the ball up the gut on 'Bama as by the disappearance of what was touted as one of the best linebacking corps in the country. Still baffled by it.

And to go retro one better on you than the winged-T, the Cow College option is mighty redolent, to me anyhow, of the Notre Dame box - letting the defense commit before the play unfolds. I think Rookie Trainer gave "Gilligan" (Malzahn) the perfect amount of credit.

MG

Chip Brown from Orangebloods is reporting Mack Brown will be resigning in the next 24-48 hrs....

Dear Santa : if you deliver Nick Saban to Austin, and bring me one of the Victoria's Secret girls from tonight's fashion show, you will make this the best Christmas ever...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Bon, I'm not overly concerned about St. Nick going from T'town down the Tejas chimney. But do you think, given the circumstances of what's essentially a forced retirement for Mack, that Willy Muschamp - were he still at Tejas as "head coach-in-waiting" - would get the job? Or would he be force-resigned/bought out too?

MG

the spread is 2 TD and I believe that is accurate. Stoops, for whatever reason used to be a wonderful coach if he had a month to prepare for a team. Now I constantly see undiscipline play and Blake Bell is TERRIBLE, can't stand him. slow as a turtle and less accurate the C. Ponder. I can't believe I just said that, can it be true there is a QB less accurate? OU has some speed and some good skilled RB's and WR's on the O side but on the D side, Mike Stoops needs to leave. Venerable was better DC. It really pains me to write this but I won't look thru rose colored glasses. I love my SOONERS but this is not a good match up!!

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    I dunno, Wade - had my attention from the 'Bama sideline until that last quote

that Dustin so thoughtfully included.

Though I must admit, when your own D gets gashed for 300 large up the middle by the Cow College, may be best to keep your counsel about "powerhouse defenses."

MG
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    the spread is 2 TD and I believe that is accurate. Stoops, for whatever reason used to be a wonderful coach if he had a month to prepare for a team. Now I constantly see undiscipline play and Blake Bell is TERRIBLE, can't stand him. slow as a turtle and less accurate the C. Ponder. I can't believe I just said that, can it be true there is a QB less accurate? OU has some speed and some good skilled RB's and WR's on the O side but on the D side, Mike Stoops needs to leave. Venerable was better DC. It really pains me to write this but I won't look thru rose colored glasses. I love my SOONERS but this is not a good match up!!
    Mike Stoops D is MUCH better than V's. Part of the problem Mike is dealing with right now is the terrible recruiting V and his were doing. This years D was good and could have been even better if 1. They hadn't been torn to shreds with key injuries. Starting tackle and LB out early in the season hurt bad. and 2. If the offense had been able to do anything besides 3 and out in a few games games the D would have been able to stay fresh. You are one of the very few people I've ever heard say that about Mike Stoops. The offense was the weak link this season.
    The QB situation is pretty rough for sure but not as bad as you are saying here. Bell is the most accurate passer OU has right now and he is great when he is on(Tulsa, ND, last drive vs OSU) but awful when he is not(Baylor, Texas). He has been very limited by the playcalling and whether that is the fault of Josh or he just can't execute the other stuff I don't know. Bell can run but the only times the coaches let him it is projected to the point that everyone in the stadium knows it's going to happen and that makes it pretty easy for most defenses to stop him. The other two guys are definitely more mobile but can't complete even the easiest passes most of the time.
    Injuries really hurt, when you look at the list of starters out for the season and banged up it is pretty scary.
    That said, it is a huge uphill battle for OU against 'bama but I don't really see a downside to this game. If they lose, they were suppose to anyway, if they win, well...huge!
    Overall, this is a very young team and if the qb can come along, this team has a bright future.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

Bob Stoops is 7-7 in Bowl Games,
    1-4 in the BCS Title Game,
    0-2 against the SEC in Bowl Games, (03' & 06' National Championship Games)
    3-4 against the SEC in season games.

Here's his chance to shine.
    /

BTW a poster on the Rant had a Topic about Brown leaving since yesterday morning. Said it'd be known today.

and uh Bell? well.....

Last edited by Dustin D; 12-10-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    Bon, I'm not overly concerned about St. Nick going from T'town down the Tejas chimney. But do you think, given the circumstances of what's essentially a forced retirement for Mack, that Willy Muschamp - were he still at Tejas as "head coach-in-waiting" - would get the job? Or would he be force-resigned/bought out too?

MG
    when they hired Steve Patterson as the new AD, Muschamp possibility flew out the door (rumor has it that he offered Applewhite a spot on his staff possibly as the OC)

IMO the reason Patterson got the job is because he assured the Regents that not only could he let MB go with very little blow back BUT that he could also deliver a NAME HC to replace him....

Fast forward to present time, with USC making their choice, Petersen going to UW, and Mora Jr staying put, they eliminated three possible candidates for the job..its good that UT didnt win the Big 12 or they would have been forced to eat the big one..

UT has also painted themselves into a corner, if they dont have someone who is an obvious upgrade to MB waiting on the tarmac in a G10, then they have no choice but to keep the status quo....

I wont believe Saban till I see him behind the podium flashing the Hook Em Horns signal
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"