The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 110 of 226 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120160210 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 2252

Thread: College Football 2013 GDG

Dee Andros, "the Great Pumpkin." Seems ironic that Zero-Gon has usurped the nickname for what they turn into annually...

MG

Quote Originally Posted by DSemple View Post
    Missouri an SEC step child beats Bama in the SEC championship game this year.
    I doubt that. They let SC beat them on their home field...
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by schaeffer View Post
    Sorry Bon, but I was talking about the SEC playing "good" non-conference teams.
    How many football National Championships has your team won.....I'll wait while you get a calculator

There may come a time when you need a friend around here, because you've already made enough enemies and you havent posted anything about retrievers or dog training
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I never watched other FB as we had the Rose Bowl, the Grand Daddy of them all. As I think this through I believe a little jealousy created the BCS because the SEC folks wanted to play in Pasadena .
    the rose bowl is "The Granddaddy of Them All". interestingly, only five teams in the pac 12 and only three teams in the big 10 have more rose bowl appearances than alabama! of those only 5 teams have more rose bowl wins than the tide! how in the world did that happen?
    Last edited by roseberry; 11-12-2013 at 04:25 PM.
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I'm with you Marvin, I love it when Keith Jackson says "The Granddaddy of Them All" before a good old Rosebowl. I became a fan when it was the Pac 8, Pac 10 took some getting used to. Now it's the Pac 12, pretty soon we'll annex Colorado or Iowa and make a Pac 20. Back then you had The Alabama Crimson Tide, Ohio State Buckeyes, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, occasionally Penn State, USC, UCLA, Stanford and Washington as the big teams. Washington State and Oregon were laughingstocks. Heck Oregon State was considered a spoiler and much better than Oregon, unless you were talking about track. The coaches I grew up with were the great Don James, witty John McKay, John Robinson, (my uncle, just kidding), Dee Andros and Tommy Prothro. In the east we fought against and admired the crazy Woody Hayes, Bo Shembechler, Bear Bryant, Joe Paterno, Tom Osborne and Bud Wilkenson.
    Russ hallowell & I discuss Don James at length. I tell Russ he was the 2nd best coach the Huskies have ever had. The 1st being Jim Owens, some skinny kid from OK who made the Pac-whatever it was relevant against the little 10 & their 3 yards & a cloud of dust offenses. The 59 or 60 Rose Bowl featured mighty WI against WA with a one eyed QB, WI 8 point favorites only scored 8 points on their way to a 44-8 loss. The reason I remember it is we had a guy from WI working there that gave me 8 1/2 points for 5 bucks, which was big money in those days.

Jim Owens introduced the Death March - found out who had the guts to play & proceeded to beat the Cali schools with regularity. For OR & the cow college in OR they had to be content with Dan Fouts throwing mucho passes as he did for Air Coryell & Terry Baker winning a Heisman at the cow college. But USC & UCLA were always tough.

The ascent of OR started under Rich Brooks some time back, Nike money just supercharged it. OR state is a baseball school , having beat some fairly good SEC teams recently on their way to a couple of titles in Omaha. I'm really looking forward to what Mike Leach can do in Pullman, having damn near beat Auburn at Auburn in the opener for both teams. The TV contract has helped some of the smaller schools out here with their facilities, but I still wonder what the hell CO is doing in this conference. IMO the conference would have been better off bringing in BYU, or Boise State, or Utah State & let them hang around the bottom for a few years while they learned to play with the big boys.

I think in general we have some fairly good coaches on the coast, we also have a different life style. That will keep many here in the fold. Though I could see Jim Mora come to WA if Sarkasian is sacked & David Shaw going to TX, he's a quality guy. Don't know if a place as snooty as Austin is ready for someone who appears to be a laid back black guy to be their head coach.

The SEC run will be over shortly, there are only so many Saban's to go around .
    Last edited by Marvin S; 11-12-2013 at 04:44 PM.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    Dee Andros, "the Great Pumpkin." Seems ironic that Zero-Gon has usurped the nickname for what they turn into annually...

MG
    He was actually coach & AD at Oregon State .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

My wife got her first degree at Arkansas when Lou Holtz was coaching there. She couldn't believe how big a deal football was there, but got in the spirit big time. Then came the National championship game against their arch rivals at the time, the Texas longhorns. She was heartbroken when they lost by a point on a two point conversion. Nixon flew in for that game. Then she moved to Oregon State to get her Engineering degree. The Great Pumpkin was coach and the team sucked. What a contrast to Arkansas.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    My wife got her first degree at Arkansas when Lou Holtz was coaching there. She couldn't believe how big a deal football was there, but got in the spirit big time. Then came the National championship game against their arch rivals at the time, the Texas Longhorns. She was heartbroken when they lost by a point on a two point conversion. Nixon flew in for that game. Then she moved to Oregon State to get her Engineering degree. The Great Pumpkin was coach and the team sucked. What a contrast to Arkansas.

John : that was THE game of the Century (year all the teams had the 100 yr logo on their helmet) that game was famous because of the gutsy broken field run for a TD and the long pass completion to Randy Peschel on 4th and 3, from the recently deceased QB James Street..the two point conversion came on the first TD,Texas kicked a PAT on the second and won 15-14...can still remember the call by Keith Jackson and Bud Wilkinson on the game..Whoa Nellie
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Pretty aware of that, Marvin - having met Andros when the Beavers came South about 100 years ago - and lost, Lord help 'em, to Auburn. You know, the same Auburn that Zero-Gon shamefully lost to a few years ago in the worst BCS championship game of 'em all.

MG

The SEC run will be over shortly, there are only so many Saban's to go around .
    Or Bear Bryants. Or Don Jameses. Hmm, last time I saw those two names linked together in my neck of the woods, it was another visit South by the Huskies, who were on the short end of a 52-0 score when Bear called off the dogs early in the second half. I'm sure you know James was Saban's college coach at Kent State and credited as having the biggest influence on Saban as a coach.

MG