The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 113 of 226 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 2252

Thread: College Football 2013 GDG

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    I'm afraid that would be you. LSU (with some guy named Saban) was the BCS champion that year.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Franco my premise is that BCS title Games are BS and shouldn't count. Hey I hate the Big 10, they were our arch rivals my whole life, and they do seem to have regressed lately, but I argue that all things change, things go up and things go down, so I wouldn't count any once dominant conference out in perpetuity. I so can't wait for a true playoff system to settle this argument once and for all.
    What makes the BCS game BS and not countable? And how does the playoff system settle this argument any more than the bowl games once did? Or did not, as the case may be.
    Steve Wyatt

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I'm just not very impressedby the seven in a row thing.

In the BCS Era, has the two best teams from their specific conferences notplayed each other?
    At no time do I remember a team, not the best in their conference, play anotherteam, not the best in their conference either, play each other for the NationalChampionship.

Therefore every year in the BCS Era, the Best Teams from theirrespective conferences,

have played another best team from their respective conference for theNational Championship.

Can you give an example otherwise?

With that said, how can you not be impressed with one conference, consistentlyproducing a team(5 Different teams) that makes it through their conferencegauntlet, and thus beats another conferences BEST TEAM, and has done so 7 yearsin a row(w/ 4 different teams) now, and against teams from ALL the Major AQConferences, with #8 looming.

How is that not impressive?

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    Who would be crazy enough to play a schedule like that today?
    And even if someone would step up to the plate, would the TV contracts allowit?
    That’s the monster created. Lose one, and you’re toast.....maybe....

But it also creates some MAJOR competition amongst the teams.

Everyone knows, one loss, and youmay be OUT of BCS Bowl contention.

With Playoffs coming in, we may see teams strategically loosing like thePROs.
    Last edited by Dustin D; 11-13-2013 at 04:01 PM.

OMG do I dare even mention my boys in this testosterone SEC thread. I think at one time or at least 5 times we knew a thing about the pigskin.... The Huskers won back-to-back crowns in 1970 and 1971, before winning titles in 1994, 1995 and 1997.

I am only 44 years old and I don't have the best eye sight. However, I do believe my eyes are telling me we won our NCs over the big bad teams, of the deep can't be beat, no way no how teams in the SEC. Guys I understand you "Football know-it-alls will beat this post up and it will be okay. Since the only stats you care about are from say 2000 on up. I also have come to realize the only football talk to matter is what most posters on here call the BCS. Again its okay in my lifetime I already have 5 NC that is more than "most" can say they will ever see. You SEC boys rest assured even your own mighty Miami Hurricane NFL draftee Warren Sapp didn't believe Nebraska was real till he was sucking wind so hard in the 4th quarter it became the highlight of the game. It comes in cycles, enjoy your current cycle.
    Last edited by 2labs; 11-13-2013 at 04:03 PM.
    canine n. Synonymous with courage, valor, trust, selflessness. If we learned to be half of what dogs are, the world would be a much better place

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I think if you go back a little ways you'll find WI, IA, IL & on occasion Purdue in that mix on a regular basis.
    I guess I was thinking of my childhood. Between 1968 and 1982, Michigan or Ohio State won or shared the Big 10 title. Ony twice, in 1978 and 1980, did any other team break in to even share the title.

I am old enough to remember college football way before the advent of the BCS.
    Steve Wyatt

I know this is not at all how you meant this, but to an Alabama fan being accused of only caring about the recent past is certainly a new one.

I would also caution you that folks might jump on you about "claiming" that many national championships. Especially if some of them may have been split.

My father told me that 38-6 beating in the Orange Bowl was the worst beating he ever saw one of Coach Bryant's teams take. That was a great Nebraska team.

Quote Originally Posted by 2labs View Post
    OMG do I dare even mention my boys in this testosterone SEC thread. I think at one time or at least 5 times we knew a thing about the pigskin.... The Huskers won back-to-back crowns in 1970 and 1971, before winning titles in 1994, 1995 and 1997.

I am only 44 years old and I don't have the best eye sight. However, I do believe my eyes are telling me we won our NCs over the big bad teams, of the deep can't be beat, no way no how teams in the SEC. Guys I understand you "Football know-it-alls will beat this post up and it will be okay. Since the only stats you care about are from say 2000 on up. I also have come to realize the only football talk to matter is what most posters on here call the BCS. Again its okay in my lifetime I already have 5 NC that is more than "most" can say they will ever see. You SEC boys rest assured even your own mighty Miami Hurricane NFL draftee Warren Sapp didn't believe Nebraska was real till he was sucking wind so hard in the 4th quarter it became the highlight of the game. It comes in cycles, enjoy your current cycle.
    Steve Wyatt

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    LSU (with some guy named Saban) was the BCS champion that year.
    Correct and USC took the Championship, LSU finished the season 3rd in the AP and Coaches poll and after that debacle they reworked the BCS sytstem. The AP has always stood the test of time and is the only true Championship trophy.
    National Champions back to back 2003, 2004 USC
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AP_Nati...ionship_Trophy

Quote Originally Posted by 2labs View Post
    I already have 5 NC that is more than "most" can say they will ever see.

So you count the 1997 Season as a National Championship Season? Even though (you) ended the season Ranked #2?

Rookie Trainer, I understand Alabama Football is steep with tradation as other programs not mentioned until page 29. My only comment back is all 5 of our NC trophies are whole, in-tact, not one of them displayed was cut in half. But if you want to take away any part of our NCs, I understand. You are once again part of the SEC the only place football has ever been played.
    canine n. Synonymous with courage, valor, trust, selflessness. If we learned to be half of what dogs are, the world would be a much better place

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    Correct and USC took the Championship, LSU finished the season 3rd in the AP and Coaches poll and after that debacle they reworked the BCS sytstem. The AP has always stood the test of time and is the only true Championship trophy.
    National Champions back to back 2003, 2004 USC
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AP_Nati...ionship_Trophy
    So you'd prefer, Split National Championships under the AP?

Far as I can tell, only ONE team held up the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TROPHY(Crystal Ball) in 2003.

...and it WASN'T USC.