The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 115 of 226 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125165215 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 2252

Thread: College Football 2013 GDG

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    The reason we have a BCS today is because the AP was too political. The BCS is all encompassing when ranking teams. The best system to date short of a playoff system. In regards to the 2003 Championship, USC couldn't do it on the field of play so the AP came to their rescue!
    I would say 13-0 is getting it done on the field of play, and it was the reason the BCS abandoned their algorithm after that year and started over again. LSU finishing #2 that season is nothing to be ashamed of.

i missed some really good stuff today!!!!!

rookie is correct, we alabama fans love to talk about "the good ol' days". note my post #1,004 talking about bama winning more rose bowls than all but 5 teams from the combined b1G, pac12. and bama aint even been invited since 1946!

if the ap is the only, "stand the test of time" way. hell, let's just keep it! i always liked the idea of having to beat people so bad that even those east and west coast voters who hated you had no option but to vote for you!

but i like the bcs just fine. it keeps us talking smack all year long! the entire season is a playoff, right? someone is still gonna be bitchin, 4, 8 or 64!

i am not sure the upcoming "football tournament" is the best way to award a seasonal champ. it will just identify who is hot and not injured. this year in baseball was the first in several years when the two teams with the best records played in the series and i never like it when a wildcard team wins the series!

to compare what we are talking about, assume we were talking the national open with 90 to 120 dogs annually participating. let's say for example farmer won three of the last four, milligan won one, edwards won one and rorem(i know he winters in texas) won two of the last seven national opens. it would stand to reason that fans of the texas circuit would be a little touchy when someone on rtf came in and low rated the level of dog coming out of texas. that's all!
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by 2labs View Post
    Dustin, mngundog, time to go home for the day so with that said, We have a NC trophy in our case for 1997. In a thread on a dog forum where it is all about details, stats, and impressions. I will leave you with this. #1 Michigan beat #8 ranked Washington State by 5 points.... #2 ranked Nebraska beat #3 ranked Tennessee (with a decent QB that you might have heard of) 42-17. If two games of this similarity were played in todays BCS world... you both are lying if you wouldn't agree the more impressive win amongst unbeatens wasn't given to the #2 ranked team beating up on a #3 ranked team over a close 5 point win against a #8 team. Dustin with you from the SEC I know you will not say that Washington State was a tougher opponent than Tennessee, that wouldn't be keeping it in the family...

Yea I'm tracking man. Just pointing out the whole #1 Team and AP Poll non-sense.

I (DO) think Neb. was the best team that year and had they played Mich. would likely have beat them.

I also think the AP Poll is the REASON College Football was broken.
    It has NOT stood the test of time which is why better systems have been created.

Since when do we trust the MEDIA(AP Poll)? Their bias can bee seen throughout the years. Splitting National Titles based off of pure bias.

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    to compare what we are talking about, assume we were talking the national open with 90 to 120 dogs annually participating. let's say for example farmer won three of the last four, milligan won one, edwards won one and rorem(i know he winters in texas) won two of the last seven national opens. it would stand to reason that fans of the texas circuit would be a little touchy when someone on rtf came in and low rated the level of dog coming out of texas. that's all!
    Again you would get it wrong - we got a guy up here that knows how to win the big ones - lots of them .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin D View Post
    Yea I'm tracking man. Just pointing out the whole #1 Team and AP Poll non-sense.

I (DO) think Neb. was the best team that year and had they played Mich. would likely have beat them.

I also think the AP Poll is the REASON College Football was broken.
    It has NOT stood the test of time which is why better systems have been created.

Since when do we trust the MEDIA(AP Poll)? Their bias can bee seen throughout the years. Splitting National Titles based off of pure bias.
    The problem is that though they tried to create a better system, I believe they failed. I think the current BCS system is just as arbitrary as the old AP, yet they created this giant media machine with glitzy trophy that lends and air of supremacy to the title it doesn't deserve. That 2003 season end is a perfect example, I believe the AP humans got it right and the preprogramed computers were wrong, both systems were arbitrary, yet the "BCS" champ gets to hold up that glitzy trophy and proclaim for eternity they were the National champs. I am less cynical about the AP than you are, I believe they are humans with all human failings, but I believe they try to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    i missed some really good stuff today!!!!!

rookie is correct, we alabama fans love to talk about "the good ol' days". note my post #1,004 talking about bama winning more rose bowls than all but 5 teams from the combined b1G, pac12. and bama aint even been invited since 1946!

if the ap is the only, "stand the test of time" way. hell, let's just keep it! i always liked the idea of having to beat people so bad that even those east and west coast voters who hated you had no option but to vote for you!

but i like the bcs just fine. it keeps us talking smack all year long! the entire season is a playoff, right? someone is still gonna be bitchin, 4, 8 or 64!

i am not sure the upcoming "football tournament" is the best way to award a seasonal champ. it will just identify who is hot and not injured. this year in baseball was the first in several years when the two teams with the best records played in the series and i never like it when a wildcard team wins the series!

JM, I have the utmost respect for Alabama and it's storied football history. I also like you and everyone on here. I just think some posters are a little myopic in believing the sun rises and sets on the SEC, and that good football has never been played anywhere else in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Again you would get it wrong - we got a guy up here that knows how to win the big ones - lots of them .
    marvin,
    i almost picked the northwest/west coast circuit for my hypothetical analogy! evidence that you just can't make everyone happy even when you just make stuff up not even about football!
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    The problem is that though they tried to create a better system, I believe they failed. I think the current BCS system is just as arbitrary as the old AP, yet they created this giant media machine with glitzy trophy that lends and air of supremacy to the title it doesn't deserve. That 2003 season end is a perfect example, I believe the AP humans got it right and the preprogramed computers were wrong, both systems were arbitrary, yet the "BCS" champ gets to hold up that glitzy trophy and proclaim for eternity they were the National champs. I am less cynical about the AP than you are, I believe they are humans with all human failings, but I believe they try to get it right.
    John, you give 1 incident, out of 16 Games..... How many Split Titles did the AP Cause?

Plus the whole PRE-SEASON Rank is bullcrap too.
    You could essentially always make certain teams start at the bottom.

The BCS(System) with a Play-off System would be MONEY!

The AP can take it to the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    The Big 10 may not be in the same league as far as college football as the SEC. But it is the premiere league as far as Dogs and Trainers!

Quote Originally Posted by Denver View Post
    The Big 10 may not be in the same league as far as college football as the SEC. But it is the premiere league as far as Dogs and Trainers!

They may have not won the Crystal Ball lately,
    but some of the best football games I've watched in the last decade, were Big 10 Games.
    A couple of them via Mich. St.