The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 118 of 226 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128168218 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 2252

Thread: College Football 2013 GDG

just wanted to let everyone know that tomorrow night on showtime a sports documentary will air that covers the 1970 and 1971 usc and alabama football games. this was a home and home series scheduled by two of the GIANTS of the time, coaches McKay and Bryant!

the first of these games was won by usc 42 to 21. in that game sam cunningham gained ~1,000 yards at legion field in birmingham. this game is often credited with providing much assistance in the integration of southern football.

the second game was alabama's first game in the wishbone. i don't remember the score but alabama had been in "closed, super secret practice" and no one knew the wishbone offense was to be unveiled. alabama won that one.

dustin if you are able to view the show please provide a "review". i don't get showtime, my wife never subscribes to any of them "nekkid channels"!
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by just me View Post
    poor montanas been a bridesmaid so many times
    Are talking about MSU, I think they only won it once over 20 years ago. Since then it has been all U of Montana, I hate them. MSU has improved the last few years and they give U of M a bit more challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    the first of these games was won by usc 42 to 21. in that game sam cunningham gained ~1,000 yards at legion field in birmingham. this game is often credited with providing much assistance in the integration of southern football.
    It may have (and undoubtedly DID) helped with the perceptions of the fans, but football was already integrated at Alabama and most other southern schools at the time. In 1967, 5 African-American football players walked on to the Alabama football team, although none stayed. Alabama offered Wilbur Jackson a scholarship in 1970 (before the 1st USC game was played), and John Mitchell became the first A-A player to participate in a game in 1971.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    just wanted to let everyone know that tomorrow night on showtime a sports documentary will air that covers the 1970 and 1971 usc and alabama football games. this was a home and home series scheduled by two of the GIANTS of the time, coaches McKay and Bryant!

the second game was alabama's first game in the wishbone. i don't remember the score but alabama had been in "closed, super secret practice" and no one knew the wishbone offense was to be unveiled. alabama won that one.

dustin if you are able to view the show please provide a "review". i don't get showtime, my wife never subscribes to any of them "nekkid channels"!
    I remember listening to both games on the radio. I think Alabama had a few black players the second time around. John Mackay and Bear Bryant are to of my favorite coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    Alabama offered Wilbur Jackson a scholarship in 1970 (before the 1st USC game was played), and John Mitchell became the first A-A player to participate in a game in 1971.
    i think mitchell was widely recruited, maybe even by coach McKay if my history is correct?
    john mccallie

john yep montana state won it in 84.. georgia southern has played for the title more then anyone with 8 title appearance followed by that team you hate

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin D View Post
    Yea #6 on ESPN 300.

I'm still hoping for Fournette to keep it home
    He's going to LSU.

I remember Sam "Bam" Cunningham because I was also a ULCA FAN growing up in Socal could not stand the Trojan no matter how cute the cheerleaders were then as they are now
    I do remember when Texas integrated the black football players first Julius Whittier and then two boys from my Austin neighborhood Howard Shaw and Don Ealey both were All Staters from Austin Reagan H'S and had to play two years at a D2 school before being accepted at UT
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by just me View Post
    john yep montana state won it in 84.. georgia southern has played for the title more then anyone with 8 title appearance followed by that team you hate
    if we are talking division II, what about the university of north alabama lions? didn't they win a slew of them too?
    john mccallie

not sure about div 2.. FCS is the old 1AA