The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 182 of 226 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 2252

Thread: College Football 2013 GDG

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    You people are nuts. Texas is a superb gig.
    Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    One of the few things we agree on in this thread.
    but to say that it is an average program is silly.

Well, then we all agree, b/c no one said any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    You people are nuts. Texas is a superb gig.
    Where did we say it wasn't. I just don't see Harbaugh leaving the 49'ers, Sabin leaving Alabama, etc for Texas. Texas is one of many quality programs, they are right up there with Stanford, Alabama, USC, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Penn State. These are once great programs that still have a certain cachet. I can see if you grew up in Texas you would really look up to Texas. I also give them more prestige than Texas A&M and Baylor, but to me U of Texas is about equal to Nebraska and Oklahoma.

John
    Last edited by John Robinson; 12-17-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Jacob's just trying to hype it so Less Smiles might saddle up for Tejas.

Then Saban would become LSU's prodigal son all over again - of course.

MG

'superb gig', for sure!

there is NO reason for the longhorns not to contend year in year out.
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Where did we say it wasn't. I just don't see Harbaugh leaving the 49'ers, Sabin leaving Alabama, etc for Texas. Texas is one of many quality programs, they are right up there with Stanford, Alabama, USC, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Penn State. These are once great programs that still have a certain cachet. I can see if you grew up in Texas you would really look up to Texas. I also give them more prestige than Texas A&M and Baylor, but to me U of Texas is about equal to Nebraska and Oklahoma.

John
    Before Devaney NE was very average at best - Until recently Stanford was middle of the PAC - There are some A & M folks on this forum that might argue with you about prestige - Baylor is recent & if OK & TX were operating on all cylinders would not be doing as well (many years ago I was offered a Basketball scholarship to Baylor, had I known they had high academics would have probably taken it). If ND played at the level of their reputation they would be awesome .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

People sometimes have difficulty in separating a school's football success from the prestige and academics of the school itself..We can argue all day about who is or isnt the "Harvard" of west/south...or which school is the leader in a certain field of expertise...

We can also argue about which school has the best looking song girls/cheerleaders..(USC-UCLA-Oregon)

But when it comes to football its usually a matter of what have you done for me lately....and for some lately is last week
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Marvin, I know you are older than me, so recent is relative to what we remember, but I remember Stanford being great back in the Plunkett then later Elway years. I just go from my memory and perception and can't list National Championships, but as a USC fan growing up in the 50s and 60's I remember Texas and their Wishbone offense, Oklahoma being contenders every year, Nebraska with Tom Osborn as coach, I only knew of T A&M because my former girlfriend went there in the 70s and apparently dated the quarterback. Can't remember his name but he went on to be a minor backup in the NFL. Notre Dame had their up and downs under Ara Parsegian (spelling?), my Trojans won four NC's under John McKay and another one or two under John Robinson, then went into a decline. The Crimson Tide was a perennial contender too. Can't forget Michigan and Ohio State, they seemed to contend year in, year out.

I would think a younger person would wonder what we are talking about, and think Miami, along with the other Florida schools and LSU have become dominant of late. I wonder how the average fan would rank various programs from across the country that are out of their area.

John

My biggest point about the Texas Job is looking at the past. None of the Coaches were Big Dogs really.

Take a look.

While money is a big factor and can make big name coaches jump to a new job, what else shows that they are capable of stealing a big name from a major program?

Texas Coaching Hires
    Mack Brown - Hired in 1997
    -Coached 10 seasons at North Carolina where he averaged 6.9 wins per season
    -Finished strong with two 10 win seasons in 1996 and 1997
    -Never won a conference championship
    -6-5 at Appalachian State
    -11-23 at Tulane

John Mackovic - Hired in 1992
    -Coached 4 seasons at Illinois where he averaged 7.5 wins per season
    -10-2 in 1989 finishing with a #10 ranking in AP & Coaches
    -Tied for 1st in Big 10 in 1990 with 6-2 conference record
    -14-20 at Wake Forest

David McWilliams - Hired in 1987
    -Hired after only coaching one season at Texas Tech, going 7-4

Fred Akers - Hired in 1977
    -Hired after two seasons at Wyoming, going a combined 10-13

Darrell Royal - Hired in 1957
    -Two seasons at Mississippi State where he went 6-4 both seasons
    -Then he coached one season at Washington going 5-5
    -Turned out to be one of the all-time greats, but was not a big name coach when going to Texas

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Marvin, I know you are older than me, so recent is relative to what we remember, but I remember Stanford being great back in the Plunkett then later Elway years. I just go from my memory and perception and can't list National Championships, but as a USC fan growing up in the 50s and 60's I remember Texas and their Wishbone offense, Oklahoma being contenders every year, Nebraska with Tom Osborn as coach, I only knew of T A&M because my former girlfriend went there in the 70s and apparently dated the quarterback. Can't remember his name but he went on to be a minor backup in the NFL. Notre Dame had their up and downs under Ara Parsegian (spelling?), my Trojans won four NC's under John McKay and another one or two under John Robinson, then went into a decline. The Crimson Tide was a perennial contender too. Can't forget Michigan and Ohio State, they seemed to contend year in, year out.
    So John you were a romantic rival of Gary Kubiak? Or was it the wishbone QB before him, Mike Mosley? I know it couldn't have been Edd (Double-D) Hargett, as only Marvin's that old - and also Franco and the ghost of Charlton Heston ("Number One") would've called you out on Mr. Edd by now. Kubiak may be asking you for a kennel cleaning job before long...unless he gets the Tejas job, heh-heh...

MG

Clifton Garrett commits to LSU in HS Press Conference
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,4753373.story

24/7 - 5 star #1 OLB

Rivals - 4 star #3 MLB

Highlights

ESPN 300
    Clifton Garrett
    Video | Scouts Report
    ILB Plainfield, IL
    Plainfield South High School
    6'2'' 224 GRADE
    LSU
    Committed
    12/17/2013
    Last edited by Dustin D; 12-17-2013 at 03:29 PM.