The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 183 of 226 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185193 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,830 of 2252

Thread: College Football 2013 GDG

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    : I only knew of T A&M because my former girlfriend went there in the 70s and apparently dated the quarterback. Can't remember his name but he went on to be a minor backup in the NFL.

John
    I will guess that QB would have been Ed Hargett...the only reason I knew that is because I had a subscription to Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine and one of my brother's classmates introduced him to me. which I thought was very cool back then

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin D View Post
    My biggest point about the Texas Job is looking at the past. None of the Coaches were Big Dogs really.
    Fred Akers came to Texas on the recommendation of DKR long time pal Frank Broyles who played under him, Akers according to roommate Barry Switzer, was a rich punk, their other roommate was a REAL rich azz punk named Jerry Jones

Davis McWilliams was the prodigal son coming home, he was the co captain on the '63 National Championship team and hand picked by DKR

and John Mackovic was the long time offensive coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys and got the job due in part to Texas alum Tom Landry

Texas has always made the "safe" hire...I remember when Mack got hired, everyone went WHO, some even thought we hired his brother Watson who was coaching at Rice..Like I mentioned before , image is everything at Texas, they have never had the nads to hire a big time coach because they were afraid of them being bigger than the program itself..plus Texas was known for being frugile (read cheap) when it came to paying coaches..That is why the sudden departure from that mold is due to the fact that Texas has seen that a successful athletic dept can be an asset to the coffers of the school

They will have to prove to me that they can make the "name" hire...I am skeptical to say the least
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I will guess that QB would have been Ed Hargett...the only reason I knew that is because I had a subscription to Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine and one of my brother's classmates introduced him to me. which I thought was very cool back then
    Bon, you'd guess wrong decade - unless John's got the wrong decade. Edd (Double D as I said earlier) Hargett was Bebes Stallings' quarterback in the '68 Cotton Bowl when Bear Bryant, in a great display of sportsmanship that I couldn't get my head around as a kid,

helped carry the opposing coach Stallings off the field after aTm upset Alabama 20-16. 'Course, the Bear also might've been "fueled up" for giving that victory ride as well...

MG

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    So John you were a romantic rival of Gary Kubiak? Or was it the wishbone QB before him, Mike Mosley? I know it couldn't have been Edd (Double-D) Hargett, as only Marvin's that old - and also Franco and the ghost of Charlton Heston ("Number One") would've called you out on Mr. Edd by now. Kubiak may be asking you for a kennel cleaning job before long...unless he gets the Tejas job, heh-heh...

MG
    I didn't watch much FB or care much about it when I was young - but these things I do remember - at Dakota Wesleyan the kicker Drop Kicked a 63 yarder in an NAIA game, his name escapes me but I could have a police sketcher make a composite of him today - Ordell Braase, who I played HS Basketball against went on to Little AA honors a @ the University of South Dakota, was drafted by the Baltimore Colts & played 15 years @ defensive end opposite the likes of Gino Marchetti & "Big Daddy" Lipscomb. Getting in the playoffs was a near salary doubler.

Anybody here know what a drop kick is?

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Bon, you'd guess wrong decade - unless John's got the wrong decade. Edd (Double D as I said earlier) Hargett was Bebes Stallings' quarterback in the '68 Cotton Bowl when Bear Bryant, in a great display of sportsmanship that I couldn't get my head around as a kid,

helped carry the opposing coach Stallings off the field after aTm upset Alabama 20-16. 'Course, the Bear also might've been "fueled up" for giving that victory ride as well...

MG
    I honestly can't remember his name and have to take it on faith that she was telling me the truth, I have no reason to not believe her. She would have attended T-A&M between 1978 and 82, so who would that be? I remember recognizing his name back when were together 83-89.

edit; I just googled TAM 1980, it was Gary Kubiak!
    Last edited by John Robinson; 12-17-2013 at 05:18 PM.

I've gotta buddy that drop kicked a 60 yarder when he was playing for the Detroit Fury in the Arena League. It was only practice though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I didn't watch much FB or care much about it when I was young - but these things I do remember - at Dakota Wesleyan the kicker Drop Kicked a 63 yarder in an NAIA game, his name escapes me but I could have a police sketcher make a composite of him today - Ordell Braase, who I played HS Basketball against went on to Little AA honors a @ the University of South Dakota, was drafted by the Baltimore Colts & played 15 years @ defensive end opposite the likes of Gino Marchetti & "Big Daddy" Lipscomb. Getting in the playoffs was a near salary doubler.

I didn't watch much FB or care much about it when I was young - but these things I do remember - at Dakota Wesleyan the kicker Drop Kicked a 63 yarder in an NAIA game, his name escapes me but I could have a police sketcher make a composite of him today...

Lordy mercy, Marvin, you really are old enough to have come out with the Baby Jesus for the coin toss!

What I couldn't find in that list is the name of Bunky Henry, who unless my ears were playing tricks on me, I recall from a radio broadcast as having made the last major college drop-kick for a field goal for Georgia Tech a year or so before he went on to become a decent PGA tour golfer. Not terribly long ago a certain Doug Flutie, just for laughs, teed up a drop-kick for an extra point in what I believe was his last game for the Patriots.

MG

a drop kick is what Charlie Blue Eyes kicked in the original version of the Longest Yard....
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Ordell Braase, who I played HS Basketball against went on to Little AA honors a @ the University of South Dakota, was drafted by the Baltimore Colts & played 15 years @ defensive end opposite the likes of Gino Marchetti & "Big Daddy" Lipscomb
    Alas, RIP today to one of Ordell Braase's college teammates and to one of "my people" - at least he played one on the silver screen, and played football at Marquette to boot. Which means he might've also "run into" another old-timer of renown, the great Buckets Goldenberg.

MG

Lordy mercy, Marvin, you really are old enough to have come out with the Baby Jesus for the coin toss!

What I couldn't find in that list is the name of Bunky Henry, who unless my ears were playing tricks on me, I recall from a radio broadcast as having made the last major college drop-kick for a field goal for Georgia Tech a year or so before he went on to become a decent PGA tour golfer. Not terribly long ago a certain Doug Flutie, just for laughs, teed up a drop-kick for an extra point in what I believe was his last game for the Patriots.

MG
    I was thinking of someone more in the late 40's - wasn't the ball at that time a little fatter & more rounded on the ends.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

So John you were a romantic rival of Gary Kubiak? Or was it the wishbone QB before him, Mike Mosley? I know it couldn't have been Edd (Double-D) Hargett, as only Marvin's that old - and also Franco and the ghost of Charlton Heston ("Number One") would've called you out on Mr. Edd by now. Kubiak may be asking you for a kennel cleaning job before long...unless he gets the Tejas job, heh-heh...

MG
    Yup, Heston's acting career wasn't going so well until he did a pair of ape movies that launched him into a superstar. With both as QB's for the early Saints, Heston won the starting job because he had Moses call the Headcoach and owner. Edd was never the same after the demotion and moved on to do voice-overs for a TV show featuring a talking equine.

Who could ever forget this immortal Heston line, " Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape! "
    Last edited by Franco; 12-17-2013 at 09:39 PM.
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson