RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

College Football 2013 GDG

338K views 2K replies 97 participants last post by  roseberry 
#1 · (Edited)
Well it's less than 2 weeks away so I will go ahead & start up The Official CFB Thread for 2013. Lots to talk about. Wait for it. Wait for it. The Over rated State University will play in The BCS NAT CHAMP. There. I said it. It's happening. Time to move on.

"Do your job. Do your job. Be a part. You do those things, we enjoy victory @ the end. As a team."

All the nonsense about counting LSU out this year will ultimately make them The Most under rated team this year. Mett will throw for 3,600-3,800 yards, 36 TDs, & 8 picks.

#1,171 ·
just wanted to let everyone know that tomorrow night on showtime a sports documentary will air that covers the 1970 and 1971 usc and alabama football games. this was a home and home series scheduled by two of the GIANTS of the time, coaches McKay and Bryant!

the first of these games was won by usc 42 to 21. in that game sam cunningham gained ~1,000 yards at legion field in birmingham. this game is often credited with providing much assistance in the integration of southern football.

the second game was alabama's first game in the wishbone. i don't remember the score but alabama had been in "closed, super secret practice" and no one knew the wishbone offense was to be unveiled. alabama won that one.

dustin if you are able to view the show please provide a "review". i don't get showtime, my wife never subscribes to any of them "nekkid channels"!

#1,173 ·
the first of these games was won by usc 42 to 21. in that game sam cunningham gained ~1,000 yards at legion field in birmingham. this game is often credited with providing much assistance in the integration of southern football.
It may have (and undoubtedly DID) helped with the perceptions of the fans, but football was already integrated at Alabama and most other southern schools at the time. In 1967, 5 African-American football players walked on to the Alabama football team, although none stayed. Alabama offered Wilbur Jackson a scholarship in 1970 (before the 1st USC game was played), and John Mitchell became the first A-A player to participate in a game in 1971.

#1,178 ·
I remember Sam "Bam" Cunningham because I was also a ULCA FAN growing up in Socal could not stand the Trojan no matter how cute the cheerleaders were then as they are now
I do remember when Texas integrated the black football players first Julius Whittier and then two boys from my Austin neighborhood Howard Shaw and Don Ealey both were All Staters from Austin Reagan H'S and had to play two years at a D2 school before being accepted at UT

#1,183 · (Edited)
UCLA just blew open a tight game with Washington, which shows how good a coach Jim Mora Jr is, and why I think he will still be on the short list along with David Shaw from Stanford for the soon to be vacated Texas job...Sarkesian is young and gutsy and given a chance may still be a good one but Mora Jr had the answers tonight....the freshman LB for UCLA that also plays offense is a stud

maybe I spoke too soon....Huskies not throwing in the towel just yet

#1,187 · (Edited)
The Frosh LB played for Bellevue HS (WA) 3A HS & a powerhouse nationally.

Methinks Sarkasian's rug is about to be jerked out from under him, played 4 ranked teams, all conference foes, beat none of them with the WSU game on the horizon. Another 7-6 following 3 previous is too little improvement for the FB gods at UW. He's leaves too many holes & at 2 mil more is expected. I think he came in overrated & has never lived up to the hype. Why is a HC calling the offensive plays? He should be managing the game.

Don't be surprised to see Mora coaching the Huskies next year. Life style is a big issue with coaches families & we have just about all the answers here except sunshine & hot.

#1,195 ·
or UGA. Georgia is getting TUNED UP! AUB has 260 yds rushing only half way through the 3rd Qtr. and it seems every time they throw it, it's 10+ yards.

another 3 & out for UGA and almost an INT. for AUB. UGA punting.

I've watch this whole game almost and I'm not convinced they can hold Bama down. UGA D-Line is getting murked and these BOMB passes on busted coverage that gets them in striking range is not likely to happen on Bama's D.

#1,205 ·
note to georgia defensive backs: knock the ball down......not up! tuff luck dawgs. in the first half i thought auburn was the only team i have seen all year that could beat the seminoles.

texas tech and baylor was a very fun first half!

the bullies are givin' bama a rough way to go. this is a classic let down/trap situation for alabama.

#1,206 ·
the bullies are givin' bama a rough way to go.
this is a classic let down/trap situation for alabama.
Has been for recent years after playing LSU.
You guys pull this one out though. The RAW TALENT is about to take over in the 2nd half just like against LSU.

I still think it's crappy they allow cowbells. As bad as the NCAA comes down on Air Horns and other artificial noise makers, why not Cow Bells? I almost can't stand to turn the volume up.

#1,207 ·
Try having to listen to Brent Musberger call the USC -Stanford game..the mute button is your friend

#1,209 ·
Congrats to John Robinson on his Trojans winning a HUGE game....NOW we have all the unbeaten teams in the Top 4, pretty much eliminates the Pac 10 Nat Championship Game....gutsy call by Coach O to go for it on 4th down

#1,219 ·
Thanks for a second there I thought you were referring to Coach John Robinson, but I guess you mean me. I'm liking this Ed Orgeron guy, and the fact he's a Cajun from Louisiana might make Jacob and Franco like my Trojans better.:p I don't know how good a recruiter he is, but he's obviously a good coach who get the most out of his players. You already know how I felt about Lane Kiffen.

Part of me was hoping Stanford could make a run for the BCS, but with two losses that hope is done. Now I have to look toward Oregon, but I'm skeptical about their ability to compete against Alabama with that gimmick offense. I would hate to see a non SEC Conference get embarrassed the way Notre Dame did last year. I thought Stanford style of play would have a better chance against the SEC. The problem with not having a playoff system is by needing a perfect season just to get in the game, a team that improves dramatically over the season, and is arguably playing as good as anyone at the end of the season, can't get in due to a loss against a weakling early on.

#1,212 · (Edited)
I thought Nick Marshall's post game interview for Auburn was a joke at first. That boy can't even speak English. It discusts me to think he takes a seat from a kid that might make something out of a college education other than a thief.

#1,214 ·
I thought Nick Marshall's post game interview for Auburn was a joke at first. That boy can't even speak English. It discusses me to think he takes a seat from a disserving kid that might make something out of a college education other than a thief.
He probably can't spell it either ;-)

Disgusts. Deserving.

A college trained mind is a terrible thing to waste.

#1,220 ·
Unlike the NFL, the NCAA is about the body of work for the entire season. However, I would prefer an 8 team playoff system for College just as long as the top teams are picked and politics are kept to a minimum. Bama vs the Noles should be a great BCS Championship game! Two big, fast and talented squads going after one another playing physical smash-mouth style Football.

#1,221 ·
Unlike the NFL, the NCAA is about the body of work for the entire season. However, I would prefer an 8 team playoff system for College just as long as the top teams are picked and politics are kept to a minimum. Bama vs the Noles should be a great BCS Championship game! Two big, fast and talented squads going after one another playing physical smash-mouth style Football.
But why? Why shouldn't it be about finding the best team at the end of the season? The body of work argument is what leads to an incentive for dominant teams to schedule patsies all year long. I think conference champions should compete against one another at the end of the year in a 16 team playoff system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.