RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

College Football 2013 GDG

338K views 2K replies 97 participants last post by  roseberry 
#1 · (Edited)
Well it's less than 2 weeks away so I will go ahead & start up The Official CFB Thread for 2013. Lots to talk about. Wait for it. Wait for it. The Over rated State University will play in The BCS NAT CHAMP. There. I said it. It's happening. Time to move on.

"Do your job. Do your job. Be a part. You do those things, we enjoy victory @ the end. As a team."

All the nonsense about counting LSU out this year will ultimately make them The Most under rated team this year. Mett will throw for 3,600-3,800 yards, 36 TDs, & 8 picks.

#1,224 ·
I am ok with a 4 team playoff...if you go past that you would have to start the playoffs in Nov....and in reality I dont see any scenario where the # 8 team in the country deserves a shot at the title

#1,227 ·
Bon, Division I AA college football has been doing it for decades, pitting 14 conference leaders against each other in a playoff system, with a title game winner being crowned the National Champion. It works well, the cream seems to rise to the top each year and you don't hear a lot of whining about it.

#1,226 ·
Condolences to y'all 'Who fans (and all SEC fans) on the passing of Joe Dean - the LSU AD who brought Saban south. Joe's probably best remembered as a basketball announcer for his mellifluous call of "Straaang music!" when the ball swished the net. There was one game in particular when he almost went hoarse from saying it, when Pistol Pete went off for 69 points in Tuscaloosa in 1970 (47 of 'em in the second half) against the Tide to set a D1 single-game scoring record that stood for some 20 years. Final was 'Bama 106, the 'Who 104.

MG

#1,230 · (Edited)
wife: i love you so much honey, why do you duck hunt so much?
college football fan: i love college football, why do the polls never pick us?

wife: you love those dogs more than you love me and the kids!
college football fan: those voters love the sec more than they love us!

wife: don't you think you need to be more sensitive to the needs of others around you?
college football fan: don't you feel this system isn't sensitive to the style of play and quality of teams in our region?

wife: if you don't change......i'm leaving!
college football fan: if they don't put a playoff in place......i'm leaving!

wife: i love it......but i gotta change it!
college football fan: i love it......but i gotta change it!

apologies to the ladies!

#1,235 ·
LSU vs Texas A&M.....LSU favored by 4.5...O/U somewhere between 70 and 74

dont want to jinx the game...will pick on Friday night

#1,239 · (Edited)
#12 Texas A&M at #22 LSU - Sat, Nov 23, 3:30 PM ET (170)
POINT SPREAD
TOTAL
MONEY LINE
BETONLINE.ag

TA&M: +4.5
LSU: -4.5

71 O/U
o: -110
u: -110
TA&M: 0
LSU: 0
5Dimes.eu

71 O/U
TA&M: 165
LSU: -190
SportsBetting.ag

71 O/U
BOVADA

71 O/U
Fantasy911.com

TA&M: +4
LSU: -4

71 O/U

#1,243 ·
just watched a GREAT special on Showtime about the USC vs Alabama games of 70 -71..hard to imagine the social impact it had on CFB in the south and beyond...also the evolution of the wishbone offense

#1,247 ·
Bon, agree with you about the first game of that home-and-away series, which I saw up close and in living colors, insofar as the sociological impact particularly below the Mason-Dixon Line. But the wishbone had pretty much evolved as far as it went by the time Bear picked it up from Darrell Royal (and Emory Bellard) during a visit to Austin summer of '71, and sprung it (along with the Italian Stallion, Johnny Musso) on the Trojans in the opener that year. 'Bama's 'bone was evolving only by how many ballcarriers got into the game with it - once when they beat Va. Tech 77-6, I believe 13 different running backs got a piece of the action, and not many less than that touched the ball even in the few games that were close.

Interestingly, '71 Bama vs. USC was a Friday night game played at an early West Coast time. That same night I ran smack into a 220-pound returner on the opening kickoff in my high school's game and barely managed to, as they used to say "walk off under my own power." The returner had to be helped off the field, but what's a good collision otherwise? Anyhow, when we got back to the gym after the game somebody had the radio on as the 'Bama-USC game was coming to an end. When I heard that the 42-21 score of the previous year (which could've been 142-21 without McKay showing Bear some mercy) had been avenged, I thought I was still in la-la land. (Of course, I thought the same thing when I scored the only defensive touchdown of my, er, "career" that night with a sack and fumble recovery in the end zone.)

MG

#1,245 ·
Just read that the PAC12 has 8 bowl eligible teams with a possibility of 10 if WSU & Utah win one more game. Not bad for a conference you East Coast Southerners consider inferior. Maybe Dustin can give us a chart showing how Georgia State is a credible opponent for upgrading a teams SOS.

So I'll ask, if Alabama was considered the team to play for the BCS title against the team that had beat them, why would not OR receive that consideration with their one loss?

#1,248 ·
So I'll ask, if Alabama was considered the team to play for the BCS title against the team that had beat them, why would not OR receive that consideration with their one loss?
OR presumably is Zerogon (for number of national championships won), and Zerogon seems to lose every time it faces an opponent with anything legitimate on the defensive side of the football, and seems unable to stop an opponent with anything legitimate on the offensive side of the football (well, unless you count as "stopping" them by outscoring them).

Alabama on the other hand lost 9-6 to the only team to beat it in 2011 and and outplayed LSU on both sides of the football even in that loss. I'm sure you're familiar with the adage that Defense Wins Championships - defense can win you a second-chance opportunity to play for a championship too. That concept ain't registered with Zerogon just yet.

MG

#1,250 ·
TAMU are the Road Kings this year. JF will show up in Baton Rouge. Hopefully not enough :D

Doubt we'll see anything close to this again;

MANZIEL'S NIGHTMARE

By almost any measure,
last year's loss to LSU was the worst statistical outing of Johnny Manziel's college career.
(Courtesy: ESPN Stats & Info)
Career rank
QBR
Worst
Opp-Adj QBR
Worst
Comp pct
Worst
Yds per att
Worst
TD-INT margin
Worst

#1,251 ·
Yes but over half of that defense now play on Sundays in the NFL.....I think Manziel was seeing that Mingo character in his sleep

#1,253 ·
just to piss you off Wayne I am going to pick A&M.... dont forget my brother is an Aggie alumnist

#1,257 · (Edited)
Ducks sound like some Tiger Fans I know.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10011543/oregon-ducks-unhappy-prospect-rose-bowl-trip

"I don't want to play in a Rose Bowl
unless I'm playing for a national championship," wide receiver
Josh Huff told reporters Monday.
a scenario that seems ho-hum to running back De'Anthony Thomas.
"It's not a big deal at all," Thomas told reporters. "We already won a Rose Bowl, so it feels like, 'Whatever.'"

Considering the Ducks have won just ONE Rose Bowl since 1917
and played in ONE National Title Game in program history,
you'd think they'd be more grateful.

I'm pretty sure both these jackasses
will get some heat from these comments.

/

#1,259 ·
Ducks sound like some Tiger Fans I know.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10011543/oregon-ducks-unhappy-prospect-rose-bowl-trip

Considering the Ducks have won just ONE Rose Bowl since 1917
and played in ONE National Title Game in program history,
you'd think they'd be more grateful.

I'm pretty sure both these jackasses
will get some heat from these comments.

/
When they are valeting cars in Vegas with Ed O'Bannon they can look back on their glory years with pride. Kids will be kids & that's who they are, just more physical. We got a couple of ducks playing on the SeaHawks & they are pretty good.

#1,262 ·
Last week you predicted Auburn would get exposed, and albeit they needed a gift from out of the sky to win the game, they had Georgia flat out beat (Murray was down before he crossed the goal line) as for Baylor you must not have the satellite package, because they are the best team that NO ONE has seen on TV, except the viewers in Waco....

the presence of the Famous Jameis DNA has mysterious timing,and motive, and the rush to judgement is what happened in the Duke lacrosse case

#1,264 ·
Normally dont read my weekly Bleacher report concerning all things about my Horns

but this week had two interesting reports...consider them for what they are..They are not my sources
TUSCALOOSA, Alabama — Even the Gov isn't immune to it.

Former presidential candidate and Texas governor Rick Perry took a second to discuss the whole Nick Saban-to-Texas rumor before a TV interview in Phoenix.

With the camera rolling, Perry asked ABC-15 reporter Christopher Sign about his alma mater. Since it was Alabama, the inevitable came up.

"So is Saban going to go to the University of Texas?" Perry asked.

Sign didn't think that was in the cards.

"I'm with you," said Perry, a 1972 graduate of Texas A&M. "But what if it's $12 million a year? That's some pretty good bait."

There's never been any job offer or dollar figure attached to the still-occupied position as rumors have run wild.

Saban has shot down any chatter connecting him to Texas on many occasions. The 62-year old says he's "too damn old" to start over.
With the college football season winding down it means two things: lot of bowl games and an abundance of coaching rumors.

Sports Illustrated focused on the latter with its complete hiring/firing primer from Pete Thamel, which breaks down, conference by conference, the coaches from BCS conferences most likely to lose their jobs and who could replace them.

Not surprisingly, Mack Brown’s job status at Texas is at the forefront of the coverage. Here is what Thamel had to say about Brown.

Mack Brown’s future boils down to this: Texas should be a national power. It’s not. This season shows once again that it’s highly unlikely the Longhorns can return to prominence under Brown. The prevailing hope among Texas higher-ups is that Brown will realize his charmed run is over and step down at a celebratory press conference with everyone holding hands and smiling. Brown could then head off to a long and successful career in television.

Texas didn’t nudge DeLoss Dodds out the door for the status quo. Brown is too savvy not to realize this, and it’s unlikely he’ll put Longhorns administrators in a position to fire him.

Perhaps the most insightful portion of Thamel’s analysis revolves around the Longhorns’ next potential coach. According to Thamel, who quickly dismissed the Nick Saban rumors, there is no clear frontrunner for the position.

He mentioned names such as: Charlie Strong, Art Briles, Bill O’Brien, James Franklin, Jimbo Fisher, Chris Petersen, Jim Mora Jr., Jon Gruden and Lovie Smith. But Thamel boils the hunt down to one thing — offensive identity.

He claims the program has lacked an offensive personality the past four seasons, and whomever potentially replaces Brown must establish a consistent style.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.