RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

College Football 2013 GDG

338K views 2K replies 97 participants last post by  roseberry 
#1 · (Edited)
Well it's less than 2 weeks away so I will go ahead & start up The Official CFB Thread for 2013. Lots to talk about. Wait for it. Wait for it. The Over rated State University will play in The BCS NAT CHAMP. There. I said it. It's happening. Time to move on.

"Do your job. Do your job. Be a part. You do those things, we enjoy victory @ the end. As a team."

All the nonsense about counting LSU out this year will ultimately make them The Most under rated team this year. Mett will throw for 3,600-3,800 yards, 36 TDs, & 8 picks.

#1,671 ·
Well, the best, highest paid college football minds in Las Vegas, obviously aren't following this thread and all the SEC chest thumping. Dustin, you or Hawkes really need to call and point out the error of their ways: How dare they, in their ignorance, have an SEC team an underdog? That aside, bless your pointed little
sec heads--I know that yawl be rooting AGAINST the Longhorns.

#1,675 ·
out of all the coaches that served under Mack only three really stood out and all 3 had SEC ties and all 3 were DC and they made All Americans at many positions...those men were Carl "Bull" Reese , Gene Chizik. and Muschamp...in 16 seasons at UT Mack did a poor job of developing coaching talent,mainly because he was NEVER considered a good X's and O's coach, or even a great coordinator

#1,676 ·
in 16 seasons at UT Mack did a poor job of developing coaching talent,mainly because he was NEVER considered a good X's and O's coach, or even a great coordinator
His strength is schmoozing with boosters followed by recruiting (or, more accurately, closing the deal when the assistants get a live one on grounds). When he got the job, I was shocked. But then I was fairly young and had not had as many years seeing how far folks can go in any workplace by 'managing up' well.

#1,677 ·
Report from Austin. At New Austin Airport heard over the loud speaker "Mr. Saban your rental car is ready". Sounds like a prank by a Aggie on the page system.

#1,679 · (Edited)
Anyway Bon. Most notably out of that 2003 LSU coaching Squad.

You have the three obvious. Saban, Jimbo and Will M. (Man that's some Power right there)
(Saban took several with him to MIA where they dispersed from there when he bailed)

Here's where a few are today as of 2013

We all know Derek Dooley - Dallas Cowboys WR Coach :D

But there's;
Tim Walton - St. Louis Rams Defensive Coordinator
Travis Jones - Seahawks Defensive Line Coach

Those Three Graduate Assistants;
Harlon Barnett - Michigan State Defensive Secondary Coach
Lawrence Darsey - Florida State Passing Game Coordinator
James Coley - MiamiOffensive Coordinator

Lance Thompson - Alabama Assistant Head Coach
Scott - Alabama Director of Strength and Conditioning

Bo Davis - Longhorns D-Tackle Coach
Stacy - Longhorns Asst. Head Coach

Stan - Penn State Assit. Head Coach

#1,681 · (Edited)
Dustin, Who are the two unranked teams that have beaten the Badgers?
Lost to #14 ASU by a horrible call at the end.
Lost to #7 OSU in a game that they could've won on the road, and
lost to Penn St. I have no excuse for the Penn St. loss, it was just flat out ugly.
You don't get credit for winning or losing to a ranked team,
unless they are actually ranked when you play them. Not my rules.

ASU didn't break into the Top 25 until Week 11 when they beat #14 UCLA.(Which isn't even ranked now)

If you really wanted to start breaking down play by play the coulda/shoulda/woulda's of each loss, well we could, it'd be fun.
For a little while lol
We could spend hours doing that for every team with 2 losses and have all sorts of different results but in the end just be staring at what could have been. ;)

#1,692 ·
Congrats to my buddy Bryan Harsin on becoming the NEW head coach at Boise State...I know he will enjoy coming home and his family will love having him there

#1,695 ·
OMG Bon that's AWESOME!

I've already made my view on the subject known. I don't care what happens.

While I am sick of all the over drama, I do find these gif's halarious!

I also think it's funny to mess with some of the folks that are so obsessed over Brown being fired and Nick being hired.

#1,708 · (Edited)
Sorry it got off the topic. I just took your first reply to my post about "breaking down play by play, and having fun", as a little cocky.
My bad, I have no problem with you personally.

Well that's great Bro, b/c neither do I.

I probably could have worded that differently. Which I'll attempt to do in the future.
Text is hard to decipher sometimes and if we don't give each other the benefit of the doubt,
we'll always just assume the worst. It's just in our nature I suppose. What I mean is really what I said. We could go on for days on end about those few plays. those could/would/shoulda's are lots of fun, but time consuming and ultimately worthless. lol

Believe me, LSU Football is full of coulda/woulda/shoulda moments.

/

#1,709 ·
sorry denver,
pro football sucks. it's the wwe with a ball. i haven't watched a pro football game since staubach and tarkenton. i wouldn't walk across the street to shoot a deer or see a pro football game.
roll tide!

#1,713 ·
So you hate deer hunting too, or am I reading that wrong? I much prefer duck hunting and the related dog work, but I like to hunt deer a few times a season, especially if it snows. I also prefer Pro football to College, but like them both. Unfortunately my Rams have been pretty bad for ten years straight. I'm glad that I'm old enough to look back on fifty years of Rams football and remember them as being a good team overall. Roman Gabriel, the Fearsome Foursome, George Allen, Eric Dickerson and much later our only Super Bowl win with Marshall Faulk, Kurt Warner and the GSOT.
John

#1,712 · (Edited)
Just pointing out the similarities between the trolls! It's cold outside shouldn't you be tucked safely under your bridge? FYI, I post what I want to post and it has nothing to do with "bait". You on the other hand. I love the comment about you reading. That's hilarious! You reading...now that would truly be something to see!

#1,714 ·
Who do you root for if your teams not playing? Do you always root for teams in your conference against any other team? How about arch rivals? As a USC fan my hopes for each season start out with National Champion expectations, barring that a Rose Bowl bid, if they don't make that I have little interest in any of the other hundred or so bowl games, most are meaningless. The next most important thing for me is to beat UCLA and Notre Dame. This year was a total bust so I'll watch other teams play in some of the prestige bowls, Cotton, Orange, etc. Now I hate UCLA and Notre Dame, but I respect them and will root for them in a bowl game, as I will for Stanford, Washington or Arizona State, but Oregon bugs me so much I'll root against them. Non of this is logical, but I guess that's why we are all so different, it's all individual.

How about you guys, what's your preference?

#1,717 ·
Who do you root for if your teams not playing?
Do you always root for teams in your conference against any other team?
How about arch rivals?
For College;

I usually like to see my conference win. Why not?
Winning helps the Conference and makes the gauntlet tougher.
The tougher the gauntlet is to get thru, the better the team is if it makes it through.
Thus the success of the SEC Teams in the Big Game against other OOC Teams.

I could watch Ohio St, Oregon, Notre Dame, Oklahoma & USC lose every Saturday,
never turn the channel and enjoy every snap of it.

When it comes to THIS year's BCSNCG. I'm torn.
I don't much care for the 8 in a row, b/c I don't much care for Auburn.

I do like Jimbo and liked watching the Noles' growing up too.

I'm not sure I'll root for FSU, but I wouldn't be upset if they won.

Pro-Football;

I could watch the Cowboys, Patriots, Jets, Panthers and Titans lose every game too and love it.

However, at times I find myself at odds with that.
We clearly watch these kids from High-School Recruits,
through College and then finally to the big stage of the NFL.

So I liked to watch Games with my phone or tablet in hand
so I can keep track of WHO from LSU is playing in whatever game I'm watching.

Considering the LSU players on some of these teams, there is a conflict of interest at times

I like the Seahawks, b/c I like Lynch and Carroll. Thomas and Sherman are lights out too. I like Defensive Teams.
I also watch a good bit of Wilson in College too. Now waiting to see if Simon and Ware will get a shot to play next year maybe?

I like a lot of other NFL teams too. It usual has to do with the Players though.

#1,715 ·
I will always root for my Horns..I like watching the Aggies play just so I can talk to my brother about it later...Never been a conference homer, for example the Oklahoma vs Alabama game, I just want to see a good game,same goes for the FSU vs Auburn game....always enjoy watching Notre Dame getting their tails kicked..I like certain coaches and might pull for them in certain games (Meyer, Muschamp,Harsin,Mora Jr. Sarkesian,Saban)

#1,716 ·
john,

though i duck hunt alone a couple of days a year i don't enjoy quiet, solitary hunting. deer hunting is just not my cup of tea. i like a ten man duck blind, a wagon full of quail hunters or a big pheasant drive with blockers. when a person says, "i was a member of john's hunting party!", it is my hope they mean it literally. i like to shock people by serving 8 hot breakfasts cooked on stove on a dog stand in a timber hole and never miss a volley while doing it! that said i was impressed by the very big deer and limit of big ducks you posted the pic of. i have killed deer while duck hunting, but never one with antlers.:cool:

i am a conference homer. pulling for sec teams is my norm. my last week of pics had auburn over mizzou. my intension was to pull for auburn. but once the game started i was all mizzou, it just didn't feel right.;-) i will pull for auburn over fsu......i think?

i like to see the traditional powers(from my youth) do well. i like to see strong seasons by the likes of southern cal, oklahoma, nebraska, texas, ohio state, michigan and even notre dame. i had an uncle who would take me to knoxville to tennessee games a couple of times a year as a kid. as a result i am a closet vol fan.:oops:

#1,718 ·
LSU not playing in a major bowl this season has me excited about the New Orleans Bowl. UL Ragin Cajun vs the Tulane Green Wave led by Nick Montana. Both programs are headed in the right direction and the Superdome will be soldout. Dec 21st in N O is going to be one gigantic tailgate party!

#1,726 ·
Looks like there might be some fire with all the smoke. And Saban's bad realestate deals are well documented in Baton Rouge.

"Burnt Orange
Express

Friday, December 13, 2013 Vol. 5 Ed. 138

As the days prolong, the drama amplifies. As the rumors grow more rampant, the thirst for definitive knowledge is eagerly sought like a stream in the desert. Still there remains no official announcements from two schools that went in contrasting directions after they played in Pasadena. But just as they were almost four years ago, Texas and Alabama, Mack Brown and Nick Saban, form a link captivating the curious minds of a nation wondering what’s next? As I type in the epicenter of this crazy saga, one thing I can confirm is that Austin has been abuzz all week about the futures for this sport’s highest-salaried skippers. The speculation, the hit of a refresh button, the nonstop gossip, well, it is nearly over. Answers are coming soon and my source predicts what they will be.

Will: So I had to double-dip from the salsa bowl this week and talk to you again because this situation with Mack Brown and Nick Saban continues to be fluid. You previously said we should be worried if there’s nothing official by Thursday. Do we need to be?

Informant: There’s no need to panic, everything is falling into place very nicely. I said that a few days back because I was fearful that no official information released by Thursday could indicate some very negative things were transpiring within the university. That’s not the case at all, thankfully. First off, Bill Powers got enough votes during the BOR meeting to stay in office and due to that stability we can now move forward in this Mack Brown / Nick Saban drama. Just like I had thought would be the case, Mack is playing along with the agreement of his buyout terms and will be giving up his head coaching position in a matter of days. The end is near for his tenure and it’s looking better and better too that the start of Nick’s career in town will occur shortly thereafter.

Will: Great to hear. Were the reports that Mack was trying to be stubborn on his way out a false alarm or did they have merit?

Informant: I think for a little while there he was trying to flex some muscle, or at least his staunchest supporters were, so that he’d get the type of compensation package he wanted. Perhaps more than that, I think he was really miffed when the story on Tuesday leaked about his impending resignation. All along I’ve told you how important it was to Mack that the announcement have a look to it he wasn’t being forced out. Consequently, he wanted to control the narrative and go public with the info on his timing so that it could appear he wasn’t being told to leave. When that story broke, obviously it jeopardized that goal and that’s why we’re now at the end of the week with no official announcement. But Mack wasn’t ever going to hurt this school and trying to fight this thing off would’ve indeed done that. He’ll be paid handsomely to head off into the sunset and in no way will he be an outcast from here.

Will: What are you hearing in regards to specific dollar amounts for this ‘compensation package’ Brown will be receiving?

Informant: I’ve been told he’ll get a $4 million payment up front which is more than the actual buyout amount in his contract. In the remaining years on his contract he’ll receive a $1.3 million check from the university. So all told by 2020 when his contract is up he’ll have earned more than $10 million from the school without ever blowing a whistle. That’s a very nice severance package if you ask me. It’s still uncertain if he’ll serve in any figurehead role with the school but I bet they will give him some useless title.

Will: Do you have any clue as to an accurate timeline for when we can expect the university and Mack to make this official?

Informant: My hunch would be sometime this weekend. Like I said, I think it would have been announced by now had the leak not have gotten out a few days ago. Since it did the whole thing got pushed back and with the team banquet now coming up on Friday night I would be surprised if you hear any of this mentioned before that. In typical Brown fashion, he wants the attention to be on the players during the banquet and not have it turn into a celebration for him. So I think that will be the final impediment prior to an official announcement on Saturday or Sunday. At this point it’s decided and finalized, they’re just waiting for the proper time.

Will: I guess we’ll have to wait just a little bit longer then. OK, onto to Nick Saban … I want to delve into the many reasons he is strongly considering going to Texas. You mentioned these briefly the other day but let’s begin with the financial aspect of it all …

Informant: It can’t be emphasized enough that Nick Saban is not potentially coming here because we can offer him just an insane salary per year. It will be the highest of any coach in the sport but Alabama could come close to matching it if they want. That’s not the persuading issue for the Saban’s whatsoever. What is a big factor is that his net worth isn’t nearly as high as some would presume given the current contract he has in Tuscaloosa. Nick and Terry Saban have lost several millions from shaky investment deals at both LSU and Alabama and you can understand their disdain for these alumni bases when you take into account both of them are approaching the standard retirement age and their bank account is very bleak in that regard considering what it should be. We’re talking losses in the eight-figure range, that’s how extreme it is. Where Texas has really played their cards well is that they’ve promised to mitigate all these losses by giving the Saban’s a ‘special’ package. In addition to a high per year salary, the Saban’s will also be aided by some lucrative deals that are off the books. If he accepts the job at Texas, we’ll greet him with sort of a collection plate full of undisclosed money that will lessen the damages he’s already endured. On top of all that, I’ve been told by a trusted friend that the home they recently closed on here in town was paid for in part by some of our wealthiest donors. You can see how we’re rolling out the red, or should I say, orange carpet for these two and it is the strongest reason for their interest.

Will: That’s just incredible we’re going to such lengths to procure the Saban’s are taken care of. So Alabama can’t counter this?

Informant: Not in the investment area where he’ll be more than compensated for here. Sure, they might draw up a $7 / $8 million contract per year but that doesn’t negate the damage already done with some of the failed business deals Nick has had with folks in Louisiana or Alabama. And let me ask you this – how would you like to stick around a region where you’ve had some difficult times financially when the most lucrative chance you’ll ever get to break away is now open? We’re offering him that opportunity.

Will: Now what about the desire for a change of scenery? It’s well-known Saban’s proclivity for not staying long at one place …

Informant: That’s another big indicator. Terry Saban told the Wall Street Journal a little while back how she and Nick were still feeling a bit unappreciated from the Alabama fan-base even after winning three titles in four years. I think it’s gotten to the point where winning over there is more of a relief than it is a joy for the Saban’s. Nick Saban has the unique chance before him now to become the only coach in college football history to win a National Championship at three different schools. The excitement with that kind of challenge is very enticing and both he and Terry can then feel much more beloved in Austin if they bring success here.

Will: And from what I hear it’s Terry who runs the show in that household so I’m sure a more cosmopolitan city is intriguing too?

Informant: Yes it is and I think we’re to the point now where it’s no longer rumor she’s been in Austin a lot of times this fall trying to pick out a house and get this new phase of their lives started up. Look, from the financial components to the desire for a terrific new challenge to the simple fact that Austin has a higher quality of living than Tuscaloosa, these are all compelling reasons that have intrigued the Saban’s for close to a year now. Mack Brown got in the way last winter but he’s about to be gone and the door is open for Nick and Terry to start this last great chapter of their professional lives in a city that will honor and take care of them.

Will: Well you yourself have sure made a compelling case for this to all go down … What, if anything, could derail it at the wire?

Informant: I talked with some people on the ‘Bama side of things recently and they all have a feeling the Saban’s are heading our way. I would be pretty stunned if it didn’t occur because in no way do I think Nick and his agent Jimmy Sexton are using this as a leverage play to get more money from the Tide. Consider the financial matters I talked about earlier as the reason I think that. If it does all crumble at the end, my belief is the only way that happens is if Mack Brown holds off on his announcement for too long.

Will: And you think that will happen this weekend, so if it does, could Nick Saban be introduced as early as the start of next week?

Informant: If my timeline for Mack holds true, and I think it will, then yes I could see Saban being formally introduced one or two days after. I have a very strong feeling that’s what’s going to occur. I think we’re really close to putting all of this drama to rest."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.