19 UCLA 6-2
    20 Louisville 7-1
    21 UCF 6-1
    22 Arizona State 6-2
    23 Notre Dame 7-2
    24 Wisconsin 6-2
    25 Texas Tech 7-2

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I doubt if Free Shoes could beat the loser of the Ducks-Stanford game.
    marvin,

i am not very sound in predictions either! but i must state what i see.

stanford is a pretty nice football team. they may be able to defend oregon for a little while.....but probably not for long. they may test oregon's defense some.....but not enough to outscore the ducks.

stanford lost to utah. how in the name of sound poll voting they are #5 is beyond a mystery! florida state would mop the floor with stanford. did anyone besides me see #8 carry the football for florida state? that guy would run three circles around stanford's defense. the ducks seem real! florida state is real! stanford just isn't!

ohio state would murdergate stanford too, imho!

ducks win!
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin D View Post
    11-3-2013

BCS Standings
    RK TEAM RECORD
    1 Alabama 8-0
    2 Florida State 8-0
    3 Oregon 8-0
    4 Ohio State 9-0
    5 Stanford 7-1
    6 Baylor 7-0
    7 Clemson 8-1
    8 Missouri 8-1
    9 Auburn 8-1
    10 Oklahoma 7-1
    11 Miami (FL) 7-1
    12 South Carolina 7-2
    13 LSU 7-2
    14 Oklahoma State 7-1
    15 Texas A&M 7-2
    16 Fresno State 8-0
    17 Michigan State 8-1
    18 Northern Illinois 9-0
    19 UCLA 6-2
    20 Louisville 7-1
    21 UCF 6-1
    22 Arizona State 6-2
    23 Notre Dame 7-2
    24 Wisconsin 6-2
    25 Texas Tech 7-2
    Can anyone tell me why South Carolina and LSU are rated so much higher than UCLA and Arizona State. UCLA beat Nebraska when they were ranked. ASU beat Wisconsin when they were ranked. Neither of the SEC teams have beat a non-conference ranked team. For that matter, I think that the SEC teams of only beat one non-conference time, i.e., Virginia Tech. And its not just that I'm a Duck supporter. What possible logic doesn't have Florida State ranked number one? In the BCS they are ranked above Oregon as they should be.

The ranking system stinks and always has. It propelled Notre Dame into the national championship game when only a couple of kids in some catholic schools believing that Notre Dame should have played for the National Championship. As a consequence, it even demeans Alabama's claim to be the best college football team in the nation last year. It is a shame when so much money is involved that we have this charade of polls. Now we going to have that dope, the one who warned us of an imminent mushroom cloud over Detroit on the committee to decide who plays in the championship rounds next year. Its probably not earth shattering, but I think football fans are owed better. And it not just about the Oregon Ducks, because as much of a fan as I am, I think that they are probably the four or fifth best team in the nation.

No, but South Carolina did beat Mizzou at their place when they were ranked # 5 , yet they are still ranked 4 places behind them.... So the logic can be played both ways. Who cares if the ranked team they beat is non conference or not?
    Bill Davis

Fresno State #16 and Northern Illinois #18 are you kidding me! The injustice in that is unbelievable. Two dominate, undefeated teams like this should be in the top 10 no doubt! Really though I'm just trying to follow the logic of some on here, everyone else please forgive me!

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    marvin,

i am not very sound in predictions either! but i must state what i see.

stanford is a pretty nice football team. they may be able to defend oregon for a little while.....but probably not for long. they may test oregon's defense some.....but not enough to outscore the ducks.

stanford lost to utah. how in the name of sound poll voting they are #5 is beyond a mystery! florida state would mop the floor with stanford. did anyone besides me see #8 carry the football for florida state? that guy would run three circles around stanford's defense. the ducks seem real! florida state is real! stanford just isn't!

ohio state would murdergate stanford too, imho!

ducks win!
    John - as I posted to Jacob, Your skill at predictions is not very high either . which you readily admit. The game is played on the field, I too do not understand the Cardinal at #5 unless they beat the Ducks & am wondering if the pollsters are not keeping them high so the road to travel to the 4 team playoff is shorter . We'll know whose temporarily on top Thursday night - there are several fair to middling teams out here - if most keep their coaches this is not going to be a conference anyone will want to play into IMO. Both AZ schools, the LA schools, Stanford, both OR schools, both WA schools & UT on any given weekend are tough & have the dominoes in line to get better, again, JMO. Only the C schools are really in poor shape.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    John - as I posted to Jacob, Your skill at predictions is not very high either . which you readily admit. The game is played on the field, I too do not understand the Cardinal at #5 unless they beat the Ducks & am wondering if the pollsters are not keeping them high so the road to travel to the 4 team playoff is shorter . We'll know whose temporarily on top Thursday night - there are several fair to middling teams out here - if most keep their coaches this is not going to be a conference anyone will want to play into IMO. Both AZ schools, the LA schools, Stanford, both OR schools, both WA schools & UT on any given weekend are tough & have the dominoes in line to get better, again, JMO. Only the C schools are really in poor shape.
    Agreed: there is no valid basis for Stanford being ranked so high. But is there a valid reason for Alabama being ranked so either?

To answer the question of what is the importance of non-conference games. It is this; The pollsters rank the SEC teams so high (At one point there were ten SEC teams in the top 25), they simply circle jerk each other. The formula for the SEC is to play cupcakes in their non-conference games--bamboozle the pollisters by their hollow victories----get as many SEC teams ranked as high as they can with their sterling records over these weak teams and rotate positions in the poll by playing and beating each other.

And Coachmo, your pie hole is always flapping about the lack of logic in other writters. That leads me to believe that you must be some really smart dude. So, please don't comment on my faulty thought processes. I'm embarassed when an intellectual does that to me.

Dustin, What poll is the one you posted? The AP poll I saw had teams ranked differently.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    Dustin, What poll is the one you posted? The AP poll I saw had teams ranked differently.
    It's the BCS standings, the AP has had nothing to do with the BCS system after LSU was awarded its sham title following the 2003 season.

Quote Originally Posted by schaeffer View Post
    Coachmo, That leads me to believe that you must be some really smart dude. So, please don't comment on my faulty thought processes. I'm embarassed when an intellectual does that to me.
    i consider this an attack on my own personal intellectual status! schaeffer, it hurts me that you have never been embarassed by my comments on your thought process.
    john mccallie