The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Iraq would like some US help

Default Iraq would like some US help

http://www.stripes.com/news/middle-e...lence-1.235890
    We would be nuts to get involved at all, much less with "advisers".
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

I have no idea why we just don't pull out of all of these Muslim run countries. In a few years they will kill each other off, then no problems. If you look around the world almost every single violence is Muslim related, they either kill each other, or kill whomever disagrees with them. We pay through the nose for their oil, yet they can't feed themselves. I say eat your oil!

"This ain't Burger King, you don't get it your way"

Backwater's Ole' Crow Medicine Show SH "Raven" BLF 7/26/11 (NFC FC AFC Hunter's Run Boo Boo x AFC Beat The Rush)
    Backwater's Gun Powder 'N' Lead "Trigger" BLF 6/30/12 ( FC AFC CJ's Mister T x FC Queen Winhelmina of the Netherlands)
    Backwater's Biker Trash "Scooter" BLM 9/6/2013 (FC AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger x Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA)

Our policies in the ME seem to have been schizophrenic.

We are supporting rebels in Syria, who are tied to AQ. We're playing nice with Taliban in A'stan. Meanwhile, we supported the Brotherhood in Egypt, but now, as long as we continue aid to Egypt, with the military directing the show there, we have effectively changed sides ... again. Iran still hates us. And Russia and China are leveraging themselves with everyone we don't support. It's becoming very hard to tell who's on first.

Possibly the only reason to aid anybody in the ME is to not leave a void into which Russia would insert itself. They could reasonably support terrorism so that they let the jihadists do their dirty work for them in harrassing the US and the rest of the western countries. OTOH, they will likely find themselves in the same tribal squeeze (as would any outsider there), so maybe we should let them spend their rubles there insead of US dollars?

Our ME policy is so muddled that in one location we support the same guys who we're fighting in another location. That makes little sense to me.

The only consistent ally we have had in the ME is Israel. For that reason, While they don't always like us very much, they at least don't hate us. I could see continuing to support Israel since they are literally surrounded by all the guys who DO hate us. As a matter of principle, they appear to be the only country in the ME that reflects our own values about human rights and personal freedom.

Interestingly ... the big stumbling block for the Iraqi govt, WRT leaving a force of Americans there, was that they refused to give the Americans immunity from Iraqi laws. I can't imagine that those remaining forces would have caused the kind of damage that the terrorism has caused there. Seems like they've finally figured out that math as well. But no way would I want to send them any "advisers". They had plenty of time to learn how to do this stuff themselves while our guys were there to teach them.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

We took a half measure in Syria, when a full measure was required. We forced the rebels into accepting help from AQ. We allowed the Egyptian people to throw out a dictator and install a democratically elected government. Instead of giving them time to form the necessary institutions we encouraged them to have elections to soon. The Muslim Brotherhood was the only political party ready to run. We also allowed them to throw them out when they trampled on their peoples civil liberties and then turned on their military after it was done. Ridiculous both in what we have done and to say that we supported the Muslim brotherhood. The war in Afghanistan has to end and will not until the Taliban is pacified or destroyed. To destroy them could easily be a 20 year + commitment costing billions and billions of dollars and at the end of the day what will we have to show for it. Nothing. Negotiating a settlement is a reasonable and practical solution. As far as Russia goes we really have made our bed there. We should have supported them after the fall of communism and we didn't. We should have supported them during their first Chechen War in 2000 and we didn't. It is our own inaction that has lead to our sour relationship with them and consequently what seems to me the new cold war. I refuse to say anything about China as in that they will soon be our new empirical overlords. Our National vision does not seem to extend past our own noses 9 times out of 10. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of factions in the middle east. if you want to understand it better, stop looking at it as a region and look at each country individually and even then you might want to break each country into its own region also. That is why it appears the we are fighting ourselves over there, but the truth is it is a complex region, because of tribal and ethnic divisions.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    We took a half measure in Syria, when a full measure was required. We forced the rebels into accepting help from AQ. We allowed the Egyptian people to throw out a dictator and install a democratically elected government. Instead of giving them time to form the necessary institutions we encouraged them to have elections to soon. The Muslim Brotherhood was the only political party ready to run. We also allowed them to throw them out when they trampled on their peoples civil liberties and then turned on their military after it was done. Ridiculous both in what we have done and to say that we supported the Muslim brotherhood. The war in Afghanistan has to end and will not until the Taliban is pacified or destroyed. To destroy them could easily be a 20 year + commitment costing billions and billions of dollars and at the end of the day what will we have to show for it. Nothing. Negotiating a settlement is a reasonable and practical solution. As far as Russia goes we really have made our bed there. We should have supported them after the fall of communism and we didn't. We should have supported them during their first Chechen War in 2000 and we didn't. It is our own inaction that has lead to our sour relationship with them and consequently what seems to me the new cold war. I refuse to say anything about China as in that they will soon be our new empirical overlords. Our National vision does not seem to extend past our own noses 9 times out of 10. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of factions in the middle east. if you want to understand it better, stop looking at it as a region and look at each country individually and even then you might want to break each country into its own region also. That is why it appears the we are fighting ourselves over there, but the truth is it is a complex region, because of tribal and ethnic divisions.
    who cares, this is such crap we are not the world's police. Sick of seeing our kids dead for these barbaric Muslims. Get out they will kill each other off for us

"This ain't Burger King, you don't get it your way"

Backwater's Ole' Crow Medicine Show SH "Raven" BLF 7/26/11 (NFC FC AFC Hunter's Run Boo Boo x AFC Beat The Rush)
    Backwater's Gun Powder 'N' Lead "Trigger" BLF 6/30/12 ( FC AFC CJ's Mister T x FC Queen Winhelmina of the Netherlands)
    Backwater's Biker Trash "Scooter" BLM 9/6/2013 (FC AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger x Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA)

No more battles in Iraq! We had our revolutionary war and our civil war with probably more to go. It is time the people of Iraq, take control and make their own country. If they never do this, they are doomed to continuing suffrage. Our blood and guts gave them this chance, if the blow it, to bad....no more American lives!

Quote Originally Posted by backwater View Post
    who cares, this is such crap we are not the world's police. Sick of seeing our kids dead for these barbaric muslims. Get out they will kill each other off for us
    x2 !!!!!...................
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

I tend to agree with a lot you have said, Henlee. We do not understand the culture of the ME, and we're not improving in that! Without that understanding, it has been impossible to have a coherent ME policy.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

We are not being the world police. Control of the middle east and the energy resources located there are an intense national defense requirement. We do not fight over there for happy hippy BS. Provided the terms were right I am not against going back into Iraq. The only reason we left in the first place was because they made us a deal we had to refuse.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."