The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May Now Pay More to Be on Welfare Than Get an Entry-Level Job in These 34 States

Default May Now Pay More to Be on Welfare Than Get an Entry-Level Job in These 34 States

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

I went and scanned the original Cato study and I call BS. They are doing things like taking the average medicaid expenditure and counting that as income to the average welfare recipient. A huge portion of medicaid goes to elderly living in nursing homes and the disabled. This alone adds between $5-$16k to their incomes depending on what state they are from. I'm sure I would find more of that if I didn't have to work & had more time.

I do agree however, our system of assistance is very poorly designed and in my opinion keep people trapped in poverty. I think we would be better off to wean people off of their benefits rather than ax them immediately as they reach certain program cutoffs.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I went and scanned the original Cato study and I call BS. They are doing things like taking the average medicaid expenditure and counting that as income to the average welfare recipient. A huge portion of medicaid goes to elderly living in nursing homes and the disabled. This alone adds between $5-$16k to their incomes depending on what state they are from. I'm sure I would find more of that if I didn't have to work & had more time.

I do agree however, our system of assistance is very poorly designed and in my opinion keep people trapped in poverty. I think we would be better off to wean people off of their benefits rather than ax them immediately as they reach certain program cutoffs.
    Yep Buzz. I wonder what percent of those in nursing homes are on medicaid. 90%? And I wonder what percent funneled their assets to their relatives in order to get medicaid. Now tell me WHO THE AVERAGE PERSON ON WELFARE IS?

I can tell you that at least in CT the leaches make out like bandits. Imagine going to work everyday, working hard, buying your first home(a condo) and then your hard earned money is confiscated from you so that the slimy leaches can move in across from and below you and make your life a living hell all the while you are forced to pay for it. You go to work while they hang out at the pool????
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

OH, and they can afford to go to the movies and tell their 5 year old to go find someone to watch them at the pool on a weekend day???? Call DSS and nothing happens about the fact that they left the 5 year old alone!

If it's so great luv, why are you working? You could be living the good life!
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Ha, we bailed from CT in 1996. I will admit it still sucks both during our stop in VA ( 100 times better than CT) and now in NC. VA was to a point better than NC but I was in a rural area until the burbs closed in.
    We were smart enough to research whether or not our property that we bought in NC could ever be grabbed and forced into the city taxes and rules. I had a heads up about Winston Salem destroying happy lives by forcing one to become a city person. I still wish I had known a bit more and then I would have bought 2 minutes further in either of the connecting counties.
    Their is zero reason that any hard working taxpayer should pay to have animals living across and below them. Section 8 needs to go. Nobody should have them forced on them uisng their hard earned money!!

There is a little something called self respect. Most who are able to earn a living and have any self respect will do so... These days, self respect in one hand... Free money and sit on their ass in the other hand? Millions choose the latter.
    Bill Davis

Let me add that there is something to be said for busting your butt for years for an employer and then taking the plunge and becoming semi self employed. Technically I work when I want as a contactor for DH's company but I am the Accountant and deal with the day to day. The other part is just picking up stupid stuff that can be billed out ar $100 an hour that at one point I was stupid enough to do outside the scope of my job for nothing for Sara Lee.

Buzz, you know as well as I that some would rather sit on the porch in a rocking chair than strap on the yoke to pull the wagon no matter what the finantial rewards are, just so long as there are others that will pull the wagon for them. The only problem is when there are not enough people to pull the wagon.