RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

One way to reduce MN entries

9K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  wojo 
#1 ·
Restrict the sale of alcohol.

If I were going, i would have to scratch my dogs since my dog truck would flip over if there was no beer in the cooler :)

The Master National Retriever Club Board of Directors and Flint Oak have just become aware of significant limitations on the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages at the Lodge and on the grounds of Flint Oak.

Under Kansas law, Flint Oak can only sell beer, wine and liquor to “Club Members.” And also under Kansas law, there can be NO consumptions of alcoholic beverages on Flint Oak property that was not purchased from Flint Oak.

Flint Oak has received approval to offer a temporary (15-day) membership for this event only. To comply with the law, Temporary Club Memberships will be available to those submitting a Flint Oak application, signed and mailed to Flint Oak along with a $10.72 fee. This cost includes a spouse. (See Application Form for details). Your temporary Flint Oak Memberships are valid Sept. 15-30.

Membership applications must be received no later than by Sept. 4, 2013 – no exceptions. Membership cards can be mailed or picked up at the event. (Be sure to indicate on your application whether you want your membership card mailed, or picked up at the Flint Oak office.)

Flint Oak apologizes for the inconvenience this may cause handlers and guests but must of course comply with the law.

#4 · (Edited)
$10.72 x everyone that sets foot on their property. That's a lot of revenue generated for Flint Oak and/or the state. Sounds like a lot of horse squeeze to me. What about age? They going to make kids get the membership (code word for tax or fee)? If requiring payment makes this temp membership a binding agreement/membership to comply with any state laws, then why not make the fee $1.00? MNRC may have got hoodwinked.

#5 · (Edited)
Dang and I thought the gun-restrictions last year were hard; they'd have to impound my RV, Truck, Trailer and who knows just what else they might find ;) Good thing I'm not going, Cuz we'd be reliving the foundations of Nascar. Earnhadts got nothing on a thirsty trainer with a dog-box and trailer ;)

#8 ·
If the state plans to enforce this it will provide an exceptional opportunity for criminals in Kansas if a significant number of law enforcement assests are wasting their time checking retriever people and their vehicles for illegal booze. ;)

#10 ·
Here's what the latest notice from MNRC said:
"The Master National Retriever Club Board of Directors and Flint Oak have just become aware that EVERYONE on the Flint Oak property, whether drinking or not, needs to fill out the temporary Flint Oak membership form."

#12 ·
Bob, was/is there any mention of the fee?

#11 ·
Sounds to me more like the club making a few extra bucks. Figure a thousand people at $10.72 is an extra 10K for Flint Oak.
My question is why now? This place holds events all the time, how was this not a big part of the initial discussions?
Why a $10 membership and not a $1 fee? Something stinks.

#13 ·
What if everyone going opted NOT to pay for the membership?

What would MN club do then?

Dawn

#15 ·
Just to let you know... The host club has nothing to do with this latest .... ah, situation.
We are just as bewildered as anyone else but my opinion is to welcome everyone who
comes and try to make the best of it.

#17 ·
I suspect it has something to do with insurance and liability.

#18 ·
Highly doubt that, as it would have been know before even signing the contract.
It's just another way to get money. I bet someone made a mistake in the fees for leasing the place and this is how they are making it up.
So here's my take, what's the big deal your dog has made it to the M. And THAT's what is important.

#19 ·
Hmmmmmmmmm, I may just go watch the MN. I'll be in a brown Dodge 2500. Y'all can join me at my tailgate party. I will be serving up only the finest homemade Alabama libations, your choice rye or corn. $1.00/shot, also available per gallon if desired. No membership fee, no tax stamp, all sales cash only. Cheyenne and Jasmine will also be there doing body shots (tips appreciated). Please RSVP.

Lonnie Spann

#22 ·
My 2 cents- the thread seems more negative and I wonder if the naysayers are even going?
The MNRC BoD is not prefect believe me as many of us know them and elected them. However me thinks they don't do this to create a stir or to have controversy It takes 7 years of going through the chairs to be President of the MNRC and then it is in your zone so why would you intentionally mess up?

This leadership is just like us- families, jobs, train dogs then try to give back. Think about it

If the $11 is a deal breaker on you going I have it on good authority that Lyle Steinman will pay your way. On yeah who comes up with 10.72 anyway

From the gallery with name
Dave Kress

#23 ·
My 2 cents- the thread seems more negative and I wonder if the naysayers are even going?
I didn't post it to be negative. Just thought it was slightly humorous--those who know me know my dog truck would be impounded any place that restricts adult beverages. And, no, I am not going.

#26 ·
Not exactly sure about their state liquor laws although, having been a liquor broker for 10 years in a control state Wa had a similar law for private clubs and lodges. You could be signed in as a guest if you were there for a one day event. Otherwise, you must have a membership. In Washington state it had to do with both the tax on the liquor consumed AND the property. The property could not be used to promote commercial ventures as a money maker to those whom were not members of the non profit "club".

I don't know what the status is although it sounds familiar to venues I've contracted with in the past. They are usually running in the red most of the time so, giving the host venue $20 instead of $10 when you get there can make a positive difference in the venue coffers and increase the chances for an invite to return the nex time an event location is needed.
Pg

#30 ·
I may be in the minority but don't care if the entries are reduced. The MN has done a excellent job handling the growth. Are there issues ,sure and the MN is aware of them. I plan to go and have a grand time. Someone didn't do their due diligence. Let the flogging began.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.