The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain to me...

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    for the non baseball fan the Tigers are a very good team, they feature a great pitcher in Justin Verlander a Triple Crown winner in Miguel Cabrera and a good longball threat in Prince Fielder...They put a good product on the field

BUT

the people attending those games are not your typical Michigander...have any of you attended and Professional sporting event lately..the ticket prices are astronomical bordering on the absurd,dont even mention the food/beer concessions...I cant even go watch a Dodger game for under $50 bucks
    Pretty soon only politicians and other ball players will be the only ones that can afford to go!!!!

I know enough about the Detroit area that you can go to my dads hometown of Dearborn Heights and hear the Muslim Call to Prayer over the Mosque loudspeakers.
    Bill Davis

The Tigers have the lowest ticket price of any MLB team. The Lions ticket prices are very high. Parking can be as much as $50 or as low as $15 if you don't minds walking. The Detroit fan base for sports is at least rabid. I am not surprised that they sell out. The illitch's that own the Tigers and the Redwings are huge supporters of the city and I could not see a situation in which they would leave. They have been and from what I can tell are investing more and more in the city.

The financial troubles in Detroit has as much to do with an eroding tax base from the near continuous decline in population since the 1950's. The city based on its geography (It is in the terms of square miles, one of the largest cities in the country) has infrastructure problems. They are unable to right size their services, because of the areas that need to be covered as far as police, firefighters etc. etc. are concerned. With decline of manufacturing Detroit was very hard hit. The jobs that remain are often taken up by people living outside of the city. people who live outside of the city, but work in the city are supposed to pay a tax. It is notoriously ignored. A recent request from Detroit Financial Manager Kevin Orr to have the state help collect the taxes, was rejected by Gov. Rick Snyder. The surrounding suburbs refuse to help the city with their costs, even though they gain a lot of benefit from the city. This along with the legacy pensions costs in a decreasing population has lead to an unstable financial model that was destined to fail at some point.

I do not want to ignore corruption either. Detroit (and I would assume Michigan) has some of the least transparent laws in regards to government. This has allowed for some serious abuses in the system. I would say the reasons I listed above are more the cause for Detroit's problems than anything else though.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    The Tigers have the lowest ticket price of any MLB team. The Lions ticket prices are very high. Parking can be as much as $50 or as low as $15 if you don't minds walking. The Detroit fan base for sports is at least rabid. I am not surprised that they sell out. The illitch's that own the Tigers and the Redwings are huge supporters of the city and I could not see a situation in which they would leave. They have been and from what I can tell are investing more and more in the city.

The financial troubles in Detroit has as much to do with an eroding tax base from the near continuous decline in population since the 1950's. The city based on its geography (It is in the terms of square miles, one of the largest cities in the country) has infrastructure problems. They are unable to right size their services, because of the areas that need to be covered as far as police, firefighters etc. etc. are concerned. With decline of manufacturing Detroit was very hard hit. The jobs that remain are often taken up by people living outside of the city. people who live outside of the city, but work in the city are supposed to pay a tax. It is notoriously ignored. A recent request from Detroit Financial Manager Kevin Orr to have the state help collect the taxes, was rejected by Gov. Rick Snyder. The surrounding suburbs refuse to help the city with their costs, even though they gain a lot of benefit from the city. This along with the legacy pensions costs in a decreasing population has lead to an unstable financial model that was destined to fail at some point.

I do not want to ignore corruption either. Detroit (and I would assume Michigan) has some of the least transparent laws in regards to government. This has allowed for some serious abuses in the system. I would say the reasons I listed above are more the cause for Detroit's problems than anything else though.
    I actually think it is the latter. The corruption and I would add one more, the unreal expectations of the citizens who all have their handout, particularly unionized labor that run the city and the government that never meet a tax they didn't like. As far as the eroding tax base, it did start the issues but many cities in the US face the same issue. The first one that comes to mind is Pittsburgh. But they realized the issue earlier and actually did something about it to attract other people and businesses. Back in the 80's and 90's Detroit could have attracted other businesses particularly other car manufactures from other countries. They wold have been perfect to get a Toyota or Honda factory but their dogged support of the AWU and high taxes scared them away. Now the city is to much of a wreck to attract anyone.

State of the Art sports stadiums were built and the teams have moved back into Detroit in the past few years. This has helped support surrounding businesses who prosper from the suburbs spending money at their establishments. The core root of the problem has been the corrupt govt and city leaders who were involved in stealing millions of dollars and taking kickbacks to pad their pockets. This had been going on for years at the expense of the citizens. The rich suburbs you speak of are few, and I would imagine the same near any metro area across the United States, most here are middle class. Detroit is a beautiful gem, with the right management, job creation, youth intervention, blight renovation, it can be turned around one day and prosper once again. Detroit born and proud to be a part of this great city.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal99 View Post
    State of the Art sports stadiums were built and the teams have moved back into Detroit in the past few years. This has helped support surrounding businesses who prosper from the suburbs spending money at their establishments. The core root of the problem has been the corrupt govt and city leaders who were involved in stealing millions of dollars and taking kickbacks to pad their pockets. This had been going on for years at the expense of the citizens. The rich suburbs you speak of are few, and I would imagine the same near any metro area across the United States, most here are middle class. Detroit is a beautiful gem, with the right management, job creation, youth intervention, blight renovation, it can be turned around one day and prosper once again. Detroit born and proud to be a part of this great city.
    I didn't mean to imply that all the surrounding suburbs were "wealthy." I just wanted to point out that in the region, within an hour or so drive, there are plenty of folks who can afford a day at the ballpark. Granted it's getting harder to afford all the time. I have lived in Detroit, Livonia, Plymouth, Ypsilanti, Ann Arbor, and Northville. I still own a condo in Northville & hope to spend more time there after my daughter finishes high school.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Read a book by Charlie Leduff called Detriot: An American Autopsy last week. Great read for those who want an insite of how it came to be a $hithole.
    Just Win

It was good news to hear of the new "clean-up" program in the city. All the abandoned buildings no longer usable are being completely torn down and removed. That's bound to paint a better picture of the city, and I suspect it will get some investors more interested in building some new facilities that should attract new inhabitants. I wish them the best.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

No offense taken GO TIGERS!

When Detroit declared bankruptcy it was on 18.5 billion dollars. How much of that can be from corruption? Some for sure, but a majority of it I couldn't get my mind around. We do know also that there pension fund was underfunded for years and that was before the 2008 crash.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."