The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can someone explain to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Nate_C View Post
    I actually think it is the latter. The corruption and I would add one more, the unreal expectations of the citizens who all have their handout, particularly unionized labor that run the city and the government that never meet a tax they didn't like. As far as the eroding tax base, it did start the issues but many cities in the US face the same issue. The first one that comes to mind is Pittsburgh. But they realized the issue earlier and actually did something about it to attract other people and businesses. Back in the 80's and 90's Detroit could have attracted other businesses particularly other car manufactures from other countries. They wold have been perfect to get a Toyota or Honda factory but their dogged support of the AWU and high taxes scared them away. Now the city is to much of a wreck to attract anyone.
    What is the AWU?
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Racism is most dominate factor in Detroit 's decline. It has always had a troubled relationship among races. The city was a major northern outpost of the KKK during the 20's and 30's. This led to civil unrest with the Packard incident and the race riots of 1943. The Twelfth Street Riot in 1967 is the major event that started the city's decline with white flight to the suburbs.

This was catalyzed by an unscrupulous practice of block tipping by some real estate brokers. ( Block tipping used a practice whereby the realtors would play on the fears of white residents of black people. They would attempt to get black families to move into a neighborhood. They knew if the ratio of black to white would reach a certain level the whites would take flight and move to the suburbs.) The realtors were most aggressive in this practice.

The mechanization of of southern agriculture coupled with southern bus ticket welfare provided a population of impoverished and poorly educated people who had few employable skills in an industrial environment. The advent of street drugs and an insane murder rate also drove the flight of upper and middle class families out of the city.

The result was a city demographic that looks like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ra...Detroit_MI.png

The income map looks like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ec...an_Detroit.jpg
    Zeus

The short answer is that anyone, regardless of color, that can move out of Detroit does so.
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

I love Detroit, but one would be nuts to live there. The taxes are like 2 1/2 times what I pay now. The police response time is nothing short of a joke. The neighborhoods would be fine, if you have a lot of money. If you do not though it is a pretty bad. I would like to call the school system a joke, but it would make you cry to look at it. Some of these are being addressed, but the problem is big and will not be fixed soon.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    What is the AWU?
    Sorry typo UAW.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Racism is most dominate factor in Detroit 's decline. It has always had a troubled relationship among races. The city was a major northern outpost of the KKK during the 20's and 30's. This led to civil unrest with the Packard incident and the race riots of 1943. The Twelfth Street Riot in 1967 is the major event that started the city's decline with white flight to the suburbs.

This was catalyzed by an unscrupulous practice of block tipping by some real estate brokers. ( Block tipping used a practice whereby the realtors would play on the fears of white residents of black people. They would attempt to get black families to move into a neighborhood. They knew if the ratio of black to white would reach a certain level the whites would take flight and move to the suburbs.) The realtors were most aggressive in this practice.

The mechanization of of southern agriculture coupled with southern bus ticket welfare provided a population of impoverished and poorly educated people who had few employable skills in an industrial environment. The advent of street drugs and an insane murder rate also drove the flight of upper and middle class families out of the city.

The result was a city demographic that looks like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ra...Detroit_MI.png

The income map looks like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ec...an_Detroit.jpg
    I bet almost as many people moved to Chicago on the bus ticket program as to Detroit. Luckily Chicago though it suffers some of the same problems has a diversified economy and has been for the most part been OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    When Detroit declared bankruptcy it was on 18.5 billion dollars. How much of that can be from corruption? Some for sure, but a majority of it I couldn't get my mind around. We do know also that there pension fund was underfunded for years and that was before the 2008 crash.
    It can account for a lot, but it is indirect. Corruption cost more then just what the corrupt make. A politician takes a $20,000 kick back from a construction company that is awarded a 20 million dollar project that they shouldn't have gotten and it ends up costing the city 2 million dollars in extra repair costs or over billings. Another politician gets a $50,000 donation from a union and signs off on a overly beneficial contract that cost the city an extra 10 million over it's life time.......ect........ Politicians both caused by both corruption, incompetence, and misguided liberal views of economics, driven by unrealistic expectations of the general public did cause a majority of what has happened in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate_C View Post
    I bet almost as many people moved to Chicago on the bus ticket program as to Detroit. Luckily Chicago though it suffers some of the same problems has a diversified economy and has been for the most part been OK.
    There is a tendency to blame Detroit's woes on a single issue or group. It really is a much more complicated than that. The charge that the UAW being the driving force in Detroit's demise is vastly overstated. The guys working in the plants just screw the cars together. Detroit auto manufacturers had gotten into a style of engineering whose tag line was:" Blow it out he door, we'll fix it later". Remember such wonders as the flaming Pinto, the melt before your eyes Vega, stall at every intersection Valiant, a computer a month Cordoba, the hanger queen Citation, the roll over Corvair, the butt ugly Aztec, the beach ball spawned Pacer etc.? The guys on the line weren't responsible for those kinds of disasters.

Detroit is a city that has morphed into what it is by racism, politics, drugs, government ineptitude, and corruption. No company is willing to stick around in a drowning town.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 08-30-2013 at 12:25 PM.
    Zeus