The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9month old Lab will not gain weight

Default 9month old Lab will not gain weight

I have a new Lab puppy. He is 9 month old and has been in training for the last 2 1/2 months. The trainer is feeding him 5 cups of food a day, but the dog is not putting any weight on. I am concern and so is the trainer. We worm the dog 3 times when he was a puppy. Could there be something I need to have the dog check for? The dog food he is eating is Diamond Brand. The trainer said he was going to start feeding the dog canned pumpkin. Thanks for the help.

My female ate like that when she was growing. Sometimes she still does, when we train hard.

I switched kibble brands and supplemented with foods with higher fat content than you find in kibble. Gram for gram, fat has more calories, so if you can feed your dog something with a higher fat content than what it is getting now, you will be able to give it more calories from the same volume of feed.

I will add that giving my dog additional kibble didn't seem to help, I think she just pooped in out. I also do not feel comfortable giving 5 cups of kibble to my dog due to its vast expansion when you add water to it.
    Last edited by mitty; 08-25-2013 at 12:02 PM.
    Renee P

There's folks on here that know more about this then I do. Had it happen once and the vet ended up cleaning out his whole digestive sys. and we re balanced it.
    Vet said, that there was a in balance between the good bacteria and the bad bacteria. What ever that means.

Keith
    Last edited by truthseeker; 08-25-2013 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Spelling

Also, if your dog is truly not gaining weight, a visit to the vet is in order.

I think truth is suggesting you try probiotics.
    Renee P

How are the stools? A probiotic would not be necessary if the stools are solid.

Take the dog and a fresh stool sample to your vet. Go from there.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Is he a pacer in the kennel? I had one that would never settle down when he was in a run, when he was away training he either had to be in a crate or on the truck or he would be skin and bones..

Ever since we brought him home as a puppy. He would have a couple solid stool .then a running one. We had his stool check and everything was fine. But he still has the running stool and the trainer said that sometimes after training they will have a running stool. But I am still concern about the no weight gain.

Have him checked for Giardia.

Good Luck & Best Wishes
    Deb & John Lenon
    www.mamaslabs.com
    Wildwood, MO
    "In God & Labs We Trust"

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    Ever since we brought him home as a puppy. He would have a couple solid stool .then a running one. We had his stool check and everything was fine. But he still has the running stool and the trainer said that sometimes after training they will have a running stool. But I am still concern about the no weight gain.
    I can't say for sure, I am not a vet, but your situation sound vary much like Rick's. I was feeding 51/2 cups and he was still loosing. stool vary much the same as your dog. Now I feed 3 1/4 cups and he hold his weight fine. Still has soft stool sometimes but never runny.

Keith