The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 9month old Lab will not gain weight

Thanks for all the help. I talk to the trainer and he is looking into the Goats Milk and will also talk to the Vet. He is not a pacer in the kennel. So its not that. It could be just his age. He has plenty of energy. I have had a few Labs but never had this problem before.I will post more when we find out more.

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    Thanks for all the help. I talk to the trainer and he is looking into the Goats Milk and will also talk to the Vet. He is not a pacer in the kennel. So its not that. It could be just his age. He has plenty of energy. I have had a few Labs but never had this problem before.I will post more when we find out more.
    Make sure it is fermented goat's milk, other wise he's gonna get sick from the lactose. Even fermented might give him gas and diarrhea from the lactose in the milk, especially if his gut is already whacked out and you over do it.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Make sure it is fermented goat's milk, other wise he's gonna get sick from the lactose. Even fermented might give him gas and diarrhea from the lactose in the milk, especially if his gut is already whacked out and you over do it.
    The lactose present in goats milk rarely causes any digestive issues. Goats milk is often the only product those suffering from lactose intolerance can consume. Far as the food, dump the high protein and get a better balanced food. High protein doesn't equal weight gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    The lactose present in goats milk rarely causes any digestive issues. Goats milk is often the only product those suffering from lactose intolerance can consume. Far as the food, dump the high protein and get a better balanced food. High protein doesn't equal weight gain.
    Lactose is lactose. Goat's milk just contains less of it that cow's milk.

If I thought my dog's digestive system was fouled up and needed some probiotics, I wouldn't be giving him dairy.
    Renee P

I had a client dog that had this same problem. He was actually losing weight no matter how much I fed. Turned out it was exocrine pancreatic insufficiency and he could not metabolize protein. The only thing that was different about him than your dog was that he had copraphagia like I have never seen before. He would eat it before it hit the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Lactose is lactose. Goat's milk just contains less of it that cow's milk.

If I thought my dog's digestive system was fouled up and needed some probiotics, I wouldn't be giving him dairy.
    You should read up on the differences between goats milk and cows milk. Specifically, the protein chains and homogenization. Goats milk is naturally homogenized.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    You should read up on the differences between goats milk and cows milk. Specifically, the protein chains and homogenization. Goats milk is naturally homogenized.
    What is the relevance of lactose intolerance to differences in proteins and fats among animal milks? Lactose is a carbohydrate, not a protein or a fat. Baby mammals produce lactase to digest lactose, but most adult mammals do not produce lactase and therefore cannot digest large amounts of lactose. The bacteria in fermented milks helps digest the lactose. Fresh dairy, not so much.
    Renee P

We put the dog on the Answers Goat Milk and change his food to Blue Buffalo. He has gain weight and looks a lot better. Thanks for all the help you gave us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
    I had a client dog that had this same problem. He was actually losing weight no matter how much I fed. Turned out it was exocrine pancreatic insufficiency and he could not metabolize protein. The only thing that was different about him than your dog was that he had copraphagia like I have never seen before. He would eat it before it hit the ground!
    This is what I was thinking too after reading through this thread. I had a German Shepard with the same symptoms years ago. Added Viocase or Pancrazyme to his kibble after we knew what it was and he did fine. Have the vet check for pancreatic function.