The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9month old Lab will not gain weight

Feeding twice a day is always recommended to help a dog gain weight. May want to switch dog food. Not that yours is bad but it may help.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

How much does the dog weigh now? He may just be at a temporary stall in his growth. Is he under weight?

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    Ever since we brought him home as a puppy. He would have a couple solid stool .then a running one. We had his stool check and everything was fine. But he still has the running stool and the trainer said that sometimes after training they will have a running stool. But I am still concern about the no weight gain.
    I had the exact thing with my pup on diamond pet food. I switched to purina sport and it has made a world of difference. He holds weight and stools are consistent.
    Bryan Corbett
    Ten Bears Wild Road Trip "Reece"

Check Diamond's web site. They have recalls often. Pumpkin won't make him gain weight just fills up his tummy. That's usually to help a dog loose weight??? Sounds like his gut is not absorbing nutrition. Get some ANSWERS goat's milk and add it to his food. It's partially fermented and is not pasteurized. Made especially for this type of situation. It is wonderful to boost his immune system and is super packed with pro-biotics and pre-biotics. We sell tons of it at our animal foods shop. Hope this helps.
    Julie Rihn

Those who say "Diamonds are a girl's best friend" have never met my dog!

So I should have the vet check his digestive system out. We did have him check for Giardia and that came back clean. I will talk to the trainer tomorrow.I have a lot of money is this dog already and do not want him to be sick all the time. I will keep you posted. Thanks for the help.

Truthseeker you live close to me.I live in Galt. Ca Retired

Try yogurt,and hard boiled eggs mixed with his kibble. When my bitches have had babies,that is one way to fat them up. It is good for the digestive system as well.

my pup (now 16months) was eating the same food and amount as my 58lb husky from the time he was 15lbs until he was about 60lbs now he gets more. but it was slow. he would go 2 months with now gains. sometimes they just arnt growing for a short time. but for sure check with your vet.

god luck dave

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    So I should have the vet check his digestive system out. We did have him check for Giardia and that came back clean. I will talk to the trainer tomorrow.I have a lot of money is this dog already and do not want him to be sick all the time. I will keep you posted. Thanks for the help.
    As I recall from my experience, there are two tests for Giardia. One is quicker and less expensive, but also less accurate. The other is just the opposite. You can usually pretty well tell from the stool. Runny is not necessarily Giardia. Runny, oily looking, and an almost indescribably foul smell is more likely to be Giardia.

Even after we finally got my dog cleared up, he still tended to be a little runny. We started using Forti-Flora and that got about 1000% better. You might get the same results from plain yogurt, but we did not.

Good luck with this. I know it is frustrating.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

I am still fighting the runny stools with my dog. Tried the yougurt, tried forti flora, treated for Giardia 4 different times with panacur and mentrobendazole (sp?), after 2 negative tests. Changed foods from PPP to Eukanuba 30/20 the only thing so far that has made his stool solid, and I'm still not positive that it is long term is feeding Iam's Vet Formula Intestinal Plus 22/9. He is 17 months old and skin and bones. This change in his stool only occured after switching from Pro plan puppy to the performance. I am at a loss but if nothing helps ask your vet about the Iam's stuff, its pretty pricey but better than explosive diarrhea.
    Daren Galloway