The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9month old Lab will not gain weight

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    So I should have the vet check his digestive system out. We did have him check for Giardia and that came back clean. I will talk to the trainer tomorrow.I have a lot of money is this dog already and do not want him to be sick all the time. I will keep you posted. Thanks for the help.
    I have been using, Grantline veterinary hospital for about 15 years. DR Lenard is a little spendy,but I have never had a problem that he has not fixed. One more thing you should know. He is old school, what you see is what you get, NO PC---- if you are doing something, that he dose not like he will tell you.

Keith

I had the same thing with a young dog. Lived with a trainer. Terrible stools. Dull coat. Etc. tried every premium food available, plus all the additives. Worked with my vet who sent blood to Texas A&M for some fancy work-up, consulted nutritionists and the consensus was he wasn't processing the higher fat levels. Put him on Science Diet ID (9% fat ) to calm his system down and started introducing PP large breed, also low fat. It worked!!! I always worried he wouldn't be getting enough energy from these low fat foods, but not true. He ran back to back tests this last weekend in the 90degree heat and held up well and recovered quickly. We made the change in December and all is good since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Daren Galloway View Post
    I am still fighting the runny stools with my dog. Tried the yougurt, tried forti flora, treated for Giardia 4 different times with panacur and mentrobendazole (sp?), after 2 negative tests. Changed foods from PPP to Eukanuba 30/20 the only thing so far that has made his stool solid, and I'm still not positive that it is long term is feeding Iam's Vet Formula Intestinal Plus 22/9. He is 17 months old and skin and bones. This change in his stool only occured after switching from Pro plan puppy to the performance. I am at a loss but if nothing helps ask your vet about the Iam's stuff, its pretty pricey but better than explosive diarrhea.
    You've got a performance dog on a 22-9, as in 9% fat? If so no wonder he's skin & bones, Fat = more calories & energy/weight if energies not-used. Maybe your dog doesn't need 20% fat but a quality maintenance formula is usually 12-16% fat. Anytime you switch foods, you will have runny stool from 1 wk -1 month, this is even if you switch to a different food of the same brand name. I'm just getting mine over a switch she went skin and bones runny stool; to solid stool and fat, took about 2-3wks for that after I changed foods. Still if he did good on Puppy, I'd put him back on puppy, I know several dogs who have been on puppy their whole lives, because they didn't like the change to PPP. Formulations are pretty much the same except puppy has more CA & other minerals, which puppies definitely need more of but which won't hurt an adult dog. Still what ever you switch to expect 1wk-1mt of Runny stool until his system, adapts. If you keep with the IAMs you might have to add Fat to keep his weight up. Still teenage boys are always hard to keep weight on, they just eat and eat and never gain weight, until they hit middle age, The 6 pack-turns in to a keg around that time
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 08-26-2013 at 12:55 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I have my senior dog on 22-9.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    You've got a performance dog on a 22-9, as in 9% fat? If so no wonder he's skin & bones, Fat = more calories & energy/weight if energies not-used. Maybe your dog doesn't need 20% fat but a quality maintenance formula is usually 12-16% fat. Anytime you switch foods, you will have runny stool from 1 wk -1 month, this is even if you switch to a different food of the same brand name. I'm just getting mine over a switch she went skin and bones runny stool; to solid stool and fat, took about 2-3wks for that after I changed foods. Still if he did good on Puppy, I'd put him back on puppy, I know several dogs who have been on puppy their whole lives, because they didn't like the change to PPP. Formulations are pretty much the same except puppy has more CA & other minerals, which puppies definitely need more of but which won't hurt an adult dog. Still what ever you switch to expect 1wk-1mt of Runny stool until his system, adapts. If you keep with the IAMs you might have to add Fat to keep his weight up. Still teenage boys are always hard to keep weight on, they just eat and eat and never gain weight, until they hit middle age, The 6 pack-turns in to a keg around that time
    That is my thinking as well but it has been the only thing, other than puppy he has had a solid stool on. I am considering adding Impact supplement to the Iams to see if that puts some weight on him. My next step as Kathy did was send blood work in.
    Daren Galloway

My first dog has the same problem. Stools were fine most of the time but every now and then he'd have a runny stool. He was on Euk Performance 30/20 and couldn't keep the weight on. At one point he was being fed 6 cups a day and that barely maintained his weight. When he came home from the trainers he would finally put on weight. I know for a fact it wasn't the trainer not feeding him. My dog was a kennel pacer to the extreme. If he wasn't out on the truck or training he almost never sat down and relaxed. It was so bad that he would get very tender paws because of the constant movement. He eventually had to be kept in my trainers back yard so he could see what was going on and the soft dirt/grass would'nt tear up his paws. To this day whenever he is at the trainers he is constantly moving and has a hard time keeping the weight on. He's 9 now. When he is at home he eats half as much food and gains weight. In the beginning we had the Vet do all sorts of test for parasites and anything else we could think of. Everything was always fine. No hormonal issues or anything.
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

Rule out (via your vet) the obvious such as parasites (just because he was wormed as a small pup does not mean he could not have them again) and Giardia. Then I would try PPP Sensitive Skin and Stomach (salmon) as he may just be a dog that does not handle basic foods. Some probiotic sure won't hurt pup either. If none of this helps then a more extensive work-up by vet would be in order. Pumpkin is helpful for an occasional bout of loose stool but sounds like this has been going on for months so doubt it will fix this.

Had the same issue with my male. He was a kennel pacer and was always amped up while the other dogs were being trained. Even to the point of wearing his pads down on stall mats. He started out on Diamond, then we switched him over to Victor High Energy which helped a little. His stools were off and on loose and then firm. He was very muscular but wouldn't put on weight. He's on Blue Buffalo Wilderness now and is doing great. Only issue is the price of the food. He's 20 months now and is really filling out nice. I feed about 4 cups a day once a day and his stools are firm for the most part. This is what he looked like a couple of months ago.IMG_20130722_154248_701.jpg

Believe me listen to the rtfers that tell you probiotics and have your vet or a vet contact texas a&m university and get this taken care of. In my situation it had to do with the pancreas. Good Luck

Got a kennel pacer in the pack myself. It's a constant battle to keep weight on him.